Body Fat Plateau. Help!

Options
fernadele313
fernadele313 Posts: 51 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm just hoping for some advice regarding dropping body fat and building muscle.

Since committing to working out and eating healthy I have lost over a stone and about 3% body fat.

I'm a 31 year old female, 5'7, 10 stone, 26 inch waist. All relatively healthy. But my body fat has pretty much stayed at around 24/25%

I workout 4/5 times a week, mainly HIIT and kettle bell routines. My daily calorie intake is around 1,300/1,400.

Any advice with how to drop body fat and build more muscle would be appreciated.

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I'm just hoping for some advice regarding dropping body fat and building muscle.

Since committing to working out and eating healthy I have lost over a stone and about 3% body fat.

I'm a 31 year old female, 5'7, 10 stone, 26 inch waist. All relatively healthy. But my body fat has pretty much stayed at around 24/25%

I workout 4/5 times a week, mainly HIIT and kettle bell routines. My daily calorie intake is around 1,300/1,400.

Any advice with how to drop body fat and build more muscle would be appreciated.

How are you measuring body fat?
  • fernadele313
    Options
    I'm measuring body fat using my Salter body composition scales
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options

Those scales are completely inaccurate. It would be better to compare pictures to see if you are losing fat, or take measurements. My guess, unless you have used too aggressive a deficit, likely anything over 1 pound a week, you have lost more muscle than you would like.

Building muscle while in a calorie deficit while not impossible, is very limited and very very slow. The goal while losing is to maximize muscle retention. I would suggest go with a small deficit, say half a pound a week goal, and do a heavy lifting program.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If not you may have too aggressive a deficit.

You may want to figure out your TDEE including exercise and take your deficit off that using something like http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

Those scales are completely inaccurate. It would be better to compare pictures to see if you are losing fat, or take measurements. My guess, unless you have used too aggressive a deficit, likely anything over 1 pound a week, you have lost more muscle than you would like.

Building muscle while in a calorie deficit while not impossible, is very limited and very very slow. The goal while losing is to maximize muscle retention. I would suggest go with a small deficit, say half a pound a week goal, and do a heavy lifting program.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If not you may have too aggressive a deficit.

You may want to figure out your TDEE including exercise and take your deficit off that using something like http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This is the best advice you're gonna get here and it's completely accurate.

I dont know if you do it but HIIT is your best bet.
  • fernadele313
    Options

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »

HIIT is her best bet for changing body composition? How?

OP, as mentioned those scales are not accurate. Pick a less aggressive deficit, or even your maintenance calories and get on a heavy lifting program with a progressive overload. You're not doing any good to your body composition with low calories and tons of cardio.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

OP, as mentioned those scales are not accurate. Pick a less aggressive deficit, or even your maintenance calories and get on a heavy lifting program with a progressive overload. You're not doing any good to your body composition with low calories and tons of cardio.

It's down to preference I guess, she wants to burn fat and retain muscle in a deficit and HIIT is a good way to achieve this.
  • fernadele313
    Options
    Thank you for replying. I've had a feeling I haven't been eating enough, especially post workout.

I don't feel I look 25% body fat around my mid section. I must carry it lower body! 4w43unnjayys.jpeg
  • robs_ready
    Options
    Thank you for replying. I've had a feeling I haven't been eating enough, especially post workout.

I don't feel I look 25% body fat around my mid section. I must carry it lower body! 4w43unnjayys.jpeg

You really don't need to worry about weight loss if I'm being honest.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Your body is absolutely gorgeous. Eat and lift in maintenance. You'll lose a little fat and gain a little muscle. Or focus on performance goals because to me your body is perfect.
  • fernadele313
    Options

• fernadele313
    Options
    I do HIIT about 3 times a week. I'm joining gym soon and hoping strength training will help build muscle. Perhaps personal trainer can help look at my diet?
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Your body is absolutely gorgeous. Eat and lift in maintenance. You'll lose a little fat and gain a little muscle. Or focus on performance goals because to me your body is perfect.

This. Very Much this.

You look great. I would just do like they said Eat and lift in maintenance.
  • fernadele313
    Options

Thank you! It took a lot for me to post that and I've been putting off going to the gym for too long.

I think my body is telling me to eat more as I'm struggling with tiredness most days. Also I usually workout after my son has gone to sleep in the evening. Would it be more beneficial to switch it to the afternoon?
  • fernadele313
    Options

But I am technically skinny fat, right?
  • fernadele313
    edited April 2016
    Options

This. Very Much this.

Thank you. That's very kind. I am trying to just focus on how good I feel after working out, the rush of endorphins. I'm prone to depression and the effect on my mood is always my main motivation.

I guess it's easy to get caught up in the aesthetics though
  • robs_ready
    Options

But I am technically skinny fat, right?

You're absolutely perfect size, you should be proud of yourself :)
  • haywood_m
    haywood_m Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there, drink 3 litres of water per day and when you start strength training switch your diet to high protein and eat 5 small meals per day. And finally If you can find the time to go swimming 3 times per week that will also help along with your HIIT. Good luck.... ps you look wonderful !
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options

This. Very Much this.

Thank you. That's very kind. I am trying to just focus on how good I feel after working out, the rush of endorphins. I'm prone to depression and the effect on my mood is always my main motivation.

I guess it's easy to get caught up in the aesthetics though

Oh I understand that. I right now am up 3% body fat from what I was last time I was this weight prior to pregnancy. It seems you are comfortable weight wise so no reason to worry about the scale just go to the gym, enjoy your workout, and feel great after you are done.

I don't see skinny fat at all.
  • fernadele313
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thank you.

I'm only managing 2 litres at the moment! I'll start increasing my water intake