Stretch marks :(

Options
Okay this post might be a little all over the place - but I need some truth but also some encouragment. I'm 21, and I've recently lost about 35lbs. I struggle with extremely low self esteem and people don't get that. Since losing weight I've found that my body has many stretch marks. I know that is normal and natural and all that but I'm still distraught by their presence on my body. I feel like my body is ruined and I find myself thinking about them all the time. Are stretch marks a big deal to other people or am I overreacting? Are guys turned off by them? Am I totally screwed? Haha! I know they will fade and already have, as most of them are clear, but they still really upset me a lot of the time. Help!

Replies

• sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I have had them since I was 13. I went from 190lbs to 135lbs and yo-yo'd a lot of my life. I have never had a guy comment about them. They do lighten and fade as time passes.

I have learned to ignore them and really they are not that visable and shouldn't be an issue to anyone looking at you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    So many women have stretch marks. I've had mine since I was about 13. They have faded with weight loss. I have had lots of boyfriends and dates and don't think a single man has given two craps about my stretch marks. You are young, beautiful, and there are many other body composition goals you can focus on. Don't get caught up with stretch marks.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    When I was 15 I was in an accident that scarred up a portion of my lower torso. The nurse tried to make me feel better by telling me that stretch marks would hide them someday. (Hey, she was trying.) Sure enough, eventually my friends were getting stretch marks, and I got some, and no one comments on scars or stretch marks anymore. Literally they are only skin deep, your body is so much more than the visible surface.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for 40 years, you just get used to them.
  • GMAC2016
    GMAC2016 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    As a guy, couldn't care less.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I noticed my first stretch marks at age 14 after losing 30 lbs. on Weight Watchers. Friends at school asked me about the lines on my legs and when I explained that they were because I had lost weight and was getting healthier they were excited about it. Even the guys (yup, teenage guys). I am now 40 and have gained and lost a whole lot of weight in the past 25 years. I have had stretch marks at various stages and have never had anyone make an unkind comment about them. Before meeting my husband I had an active sex life and didn't have any issues there either.
    It may take a little time for you to adjust to seeing them but know that they are a not going to hold you back and to the majority of people they are just no big deal. I actually look at them now as a sign that I'm doing something right.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I had stretch marks at about 14 or so. I have also had kidney surgery ( looks like a magicians saw the woman in half trick gone wrong - 9 inch scar around my waistline!) and 4 tiny scars from having my gal bladder removed. When I first dated my husband I was worried about them. His reply was that they are part of who I am and have made me who I am and he loves me.
  • tris_hope
    tris_hope Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Guys thank you so much for all of your input! I feel better already :)
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I have scars, stretchmarks, nobody has ever said a word. Palmers cocoa butter oil helps with fading and smells like chocolate. Try it if you're concerned, or just for the smell :)
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    They're no big deal. I have a ton of stretch marks from gaining weight (all over my hips and back of my knees). I'm 80-100lbs lighter, and those stretch marks are still there and more of a pain (it's now loose skin underneath clear-ish stretch marks, which gives me one less place to use for insulin injections because I can't inject anywhere near scar tissue).

The only time I got comments about my stretch marks were from my neighbor's (word that rhymes with witch) of a teenage daughter (the daughter was maybe 2 years younger than me at the time) who made a snide comment to her friend about me wearing a dress with huge purple stretch marks on my legs... man how I wish I now wish I could make a surprise visit and show off my amazingness (stretch marks included).
  • kalm3
    kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have them :( my husband doesn't care at all about them. I was really upset over it for a while, but I'm learning to just accept them. Being mad at them isn't going to make them disappear. You'll get to a point where they don't bother you anymore.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was over 350lbs once and I carried a 10lb baby as well, also had a c section. On top of these stretch marks (silver on my sides and belly and redder on my shoulders) I have some gnarly self harm scars from my teenage years. No guy has ever said anything bad about any of it. My husband doesn't give a damn about anything like that. I care about them less and less as well.
  • mandlegrot
    mandlegrot Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    They are no big deal and you are still young - you're loosing weight at the very best time when your skin is supple and ready to spring back. Even so most women have stretch marks, thin and big, you can moisturise with bio oil or palmers cocoa butter which might help them but there's no certain way to get rid of them. Over years these marks get thinner and you get used to them :) get a good moisturising routine, and vow to keep the weight off and you may even be proud of your marks one day when they remind you of all your hard work :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have stretchmarks and don't care. My husband does not care either. They are incredibly common.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love my tiger stripes!!!
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    They will fade over time, especially as you're so young. I've never thought twice about they. They are just part of my skin, and I love my skin.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I never had stretch marks until after I got pregnant. I cried so hard when I got them and I felt exactly like you do in your post.
    I was okay with them after my first pregnancy, never had any comments about them, but then in my second pregnancy they got worse.
    The only comment I've ever gotten about them is from my 9-year-old niece. I took her swimming one time (and I wear a 2 piece) and she looks at me and says, "when I grow up I want to look like you, except all those marks on your stomach. Those are disgusting," needless to say, I only paid attention to the last part of her comment and I have become extremely self conscious of them ever since.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    dont know why a real man would care. men can get them too. I know a few guys who have them,I have them and learned to deal with them. I will always have them so why not embrace them so to speak
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Over reacting!

I heard Bio oil is good for stretch marks, u can get it at Wallgreens and CVS
  • tris_hope
    tris_hope Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You all are awesome! Thanks so much :D