University student looking to lose 40lb

Options
Hey I'm a 22 year old university students looking to loose around 40lb. I have tried many times in the past to lose weight. I have been success and lost over 20lb but gained it all back. For the past 2 years I've been very discouraged and it's kept me from trying again. I'm determined to make this time work and stick though. I have a very busy life being a full-time student and working part time. It would be great to chat with people who in a similar position.

Replies

• Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If this is legitimate, I'd love to be your MFP friend!
  • mia4359
    mia4359 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'll be your friend!! I'm also a full time student with a part time job, it can be very stressful :)
  • rebeccaahopkins93
    rebeccaahopkins93 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls, I've sent you both a friend request.
  • MrWufpack
    MrWufpack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I graduated in 2012 (also worked while I was in school) and it usually only gets more stressful once you're out. Good for you guys for trying to get a handle on it now. I lost 70 lbs while I was in school and then rebounded 30 :blush: . I'm back at it now, lost the 30 I gained, and have the final 30 lb to go. The last 30 are definitely the hardest so far, so good luck to all of us! :)
  • rebeccaahopkins93
    Options
    I guess life is always going to be busy and we just need to stop letting that become an excuse. My major problem is stress eating, which is hard when you constantly feel stressed! I'm sure that stress doesn't go away when you grad through.
  • MrWufpack
    Options
    Yeah, I only recently overcame stress eating myself. Been doing it before that since I was a kid. What finally worked for me was finding something which also reduces my stress to replace eating. I now blast music and walk around the house :smile: There also medications which can help.
  • jsbadgery
    jsbadgery Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In the exact same boat as you! Snacking and boredom eating are my weaknesses but hoping to completely change my lifestyle, and why not start now! Only a month until my exams so I'm hoping exercise and a healthy diet will be the push I need in becoming motivated to become a better person and do as well as I can at school. I will definitely be your friend :)
  • Bailey_97
    Bailey_97 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you! I'm a first year university student and I have over 100 pounds to lose, but I'm getting serious and changing my life! I lost around 20 pounds several years ago but I let it go again, but not this time! Stress eating and boredom eating are my weaknesses, it's so hard not to just reach for some chips when I'm bored/stressed. Good luck!
  • rebeccaahopkins93
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It sucks when you make progress and then gain it all back, I've been there! Yesterday I went and got healthier snacks so now instead of chips I'm going to have veggies and dip and instead of chocolate I'm going to have a special k bar. I'm also drinking a lot of water. If I'm feeling snackish I drink a bunch of water before I decide to get a snack. It's only been 2 days of this routine but I feel like it's going to be sustainable!
  • Bailey_97
    Bailey_97 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did the same yesterday! Went and bought cottage cheese and baby carrots! Carrots are great for when I want that crunch but they're so much better for me than chips!

Yes water is so good I've definitely found that if I want to eat I'll drink a glass of water or two and then I won't want to anymore, or I'll definitely eat less if I drink water first! The first few weeks are always the hardest and I'm almost through those so I'm hoping this time it will stick :D
  • rebeccaahopkins93
    Options
    I feel like once I start seeing the progress it will make it easier. Just gotta take it one day at a time.
  • MrWufpack
    Options
    This really helped me when I was looking for low calorie snack foods. I'd recommend hummus or guac (1-2 oz at a time), as the fat (monounsaturated, which is healthy fat) helps keep you full for a long time.
  • ZobiaQureshi
    ZobiaQureshi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Omg! Haha add me in!

I'm a full time university student and I work full time because of an internship. Is so hard to find time.

I find that buying healthy food is so expensive!! A salad is like $8 while poutine is $4
    Is this just Me? LOL

I want to lose 30-40 pounds by end of June. There's this huge family camping trip and I wanna be fit! It's pretty embarrassing to be out of breath after lightly running for 5 minutes.
  • RubberDucks2
    RubberDucks2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm also trying to lose 40lb! Ive been chubs pretty much my whole life and I'm going to be 20 this year...I want to change. Can I add you all?
  • rebeccaahopkins93
    Options
    I know it's so hard to eat healthy when you are constantly on the run. I've been packing around a lunch and it's made easier but it's not always ideal!
  • MrWufpack
    Options
    @ZobiaQureshi Are you Canadian? Mmm, poutine! Eating on the go is difficult to do healthy in school, unless you life on campus and can use the salad bar. But then there's a lot of temptation from other stuff :smiley:

@RubberDucks2 feel free. I'm always looking for new friends :smile:
  • rebeccaahopkins93
    Options
    I also added you girls! I love the community on here. It's nice to know that there are folks going through the same situation as you. Sometimes the journey with weight loss can be lonely. It's also nice knowing that people can see my diary, keeps me accountable :)
  • ZobiaQureshi
    ZobiaQureshi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    MrWufpack wrote: »
    @ZobiaQureshi Are you Canadian? Mmm, poutine! Eating on the go is difficult to do healthy in school, unless you life on campus and can use the salad bar. But then there's a lot of temptation from other stuff :smiley:

@RubberDucks2 feel free. I'm always looking for new friends :smile:

LOL how could you tell! Yeah Canadian! I live on campus - the salad bar is so pricey! I recently found a life hack. Chicken ceasar salad wrap! It's so cheap to make and kinda healthy !!!

Yay for friends ! :)
  • pandamars
    pandamars Posts: 88 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'd love to be your friend :) I'm 19 and a junior, I am trying to lose 30 lbs with home video workouts in a small dormitory :/ (with a roommate lol)
  • MrWufpack
    Options

LOL how could you tell! Yeah Canadian! I live on campus - the salad bar is so pricey! I recently found a life hack. Chicken ceasar salad wrap! It's so cheap to make and kinda healthy !!!

Yay for friends ! :)

I'm originally from there. Living in 'murica now. :smile:

Wraps are great! Better than when I was in school-pierogies lol