Giving up running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Can sumone pls tell me why wen i run on tha treadmill everyday.. after my knee caps r in unbareable pain...why is my body not gettin use to me runnin?????? Any advice?????

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you why you are in pain, it sounds as though you should be seeing a doctor or physiotherapist to check that out.

Some other suggestions:
    - do you have shoes which have been properly fitted for you and designed for running?
    - do you warm up before you start to run?
    - do you stretch after you are warmed up?
    - does walking hurt? If not, perhaps go back to walking and build up gradually to running. Fast walking is good exercise and can burn lots of calories.
  • Adbrown1956
    Adbrown1956 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you why you are in pain, it sounds as though you should be seeing a doctor or physiotherapist to check that out.

Some other suggestions:
    - do you have shoes which have been properly fitted for you and designed for running?
    - do you warm up before you start to run?
    - do you stretch after you are warmed up?
    - does walking hurt? If not, perhaps go back to walking and build up gradually to running. Fast walking is good exercise and can burn lots of calories.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    No way to know what is causing your pain with the info provided. But have a few suggestions if things to look into.

1 - Your condition. Did you follow a program and build yourself up slowly?

2 - Your form. Research proper running form, and ask for feedback from other runners?

3 - Your shoes. Are they properly fitted and appropriate for your body structure?
  • Adbrown1956
    Options
    no i hvent done any of those things... but running on the treadmill is secondary after i hve already done a 3mile walk...
  • Adbrown1956
    Options
    where do i go to get proper fitting shoes for my body structure????? please
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Find a running store in your area. The specialty stores will generally have people trained to evaluate your gait and help you find the appropriate shoe. May be more expensive, but definatly worth it if it helps with the pain.
  • Adbrown1956
    Options

Find a running store in your area. The specialty stores will generally have people trained to evaluate your gait and help you find the appropriate shoe. May be more expensive, but definatly worth it if it helps with the pain.

okay thank u
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You're a trooper for pushing through the pain. But, that's generally not a good idea. It might turn a minor injury into a major one. I second the advice to see your doctor, and look into getting professionally fitted for some good running shoes. Wish you all the best. If worse comes to worse, you could always find alternatives forms of cardio like the elliptical, cycling, step mill, swimming, walking, hiking. I think if you've been pushing through excruciating pain it means you have some serious determination and will power. Put all that power to good use doing something that won't hurt you :)
  • Adbrown1956
    Options
    You're a trooper for pushing through the pain. But, that's generally not a good idea. It might turn a minor injury into a major one. I second the advice to see your doctor, and look into getting professionally fitted for some good running shoes. Wish you all the best. If worse comes to worse, you could always find alternatives forms of cardio like the elliptical, cycling, step mill, swimming, walking, hiking. I think if you've been pushing through excruciating pain it means you have some serious determination and will power. Put all that power to good use doing something that won't hurt you :)

okay thank u... i will:happy:
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Are you running every day with no rest days? I was doing that a few months ago training for a 5k, and my friend who is a pretty serious runner told me that you shouldn't be running every day, you will wreck your knees. There is a really good program called c25k, which means couch to 5 k, with a really good program to get you in shape and running. I started following that and my progress speeded up. Take a couple rest days a week and let your body heal in between, I know it is hard to do, but I am seeing results way faster and I bet you will too! Good luck!
  • Adbrown1956
    Options
    Are you running every day with no rest days? I was doing that a few months ago training for a 5k, and my friend who is a pretty serious runner told me that you shouldn't be running every day, you will wreck your knees. There is a really good program called c25k, which means couch to 5 k, with a really good program to get you in shape and running. I started following that and my progress speeded up. Take a couple rest days a week and let your body heal in between, I know it is hard to do, but I am seeing results way faster and I bet you will too! Good luck!

Okay thanks!!!!!!! Because i really did not want 2 give up running i enjoy it soooo much....
  • allysabee
    allysabee Posts: 123
    Options
    That happens to me too! :(
  • Adbrown1956
    Options
    That happens to me too! :(

it sucks...:sad:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If running causes you extreme pain, you shouldn't be running. Your body doesn't "get used to" that kind of thing. It means there's something wrong, possibly at this time, too much weight on the joints.

Maybe try a different exercise with less impact for now.

But, as someone already mentioned, see a doctor for a proper diagnosis.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I 3rd, 4th, 5th the advice to see a doctor to make sure it isn't an injury, take some rest days inbetween running, and make sure you get the right shoes for your body.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You're in pain because you're not even giving your body the chance to get used to running. How can your body adapt to changes if you run EVERY day. Your body isn't used to that, and it isn't going to be able to handle it.

Start running every third day, with 2 days of no running in between. You can do other stuff if you want to, but no running. Eventually you'll be able to go to every other day, and maybe eventually 2 days on, one day off.

Never do one thing every day. Your body won't like that.

Get off that treadmill too, if possible. Get out in the fresh air and start moving.
  • Adbrown1956
    Options
    You're in pain because you're not even giving your body the chance to get used to running. How can your body adapt to changes if you run EVERY day. Your body isn't used to that, and it isn't going to be able to handle it.

Start running every third day, with 2 days of no running in between. You can do other stuff if you want to, but no running. Eventually you'll be able to go to every other day, and maybe eventually 2 days on, one day off.

Never do one thing every day. Your body won't like that.

Get off that treadmill too, if possible. Get out in the fresh air and start moving.

Okay.... Thanks for all the advice.... i really dont think its a injury... because wen i rest tha next day i am fine... i can walk all day long... its possibly i need to loss more weight... As much as i enjoy 2 running i need to take breaks in between... i think is the solution... But i will visit a doctor 2 confirm this... Jus to make sure... thanks..