Need snack suggestions!

Options
So I'm in a bit of a rut. My job keeps me busy during most of the day without a chance to grab a bite to eat outside of a lunch break. I'm trying to eat a small snack in between meals to keep my metabolism up this usually means something prepackaged. I am so sick of nutrigrain and fiber one bars at this point, hopefully my fellow MFPers can help me out.

My requirements:

Has to be something that doesn't have to be refrigerated.
Simple and not messy (no dips, juicy fruits, nothing that requires utensils, etc...)
Preferably under 150 cals and lower in sugar (I usually have plenty of room in my diary for fats but I need to reduce my sugar)
Something that I can either buy (prepacks make it easier not to overeat) or make for myself for under $1 a serving (I'm pretty handy in the kitchen)

Thanks in advance everyone!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Mixed nuts, beef or turkey jerky...

Other snacks I like don't meet your requirements such as hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt & fruit, hummus and carrots...
  • blingybaby25
    Options
    I love to eat quacker rice cakes and they fill you up fast!
  • timtamjones
    Options
    My afternoon snack when at work is usually either a packet of low sugar oatmeal or a 100 calorie pack of popcorn. Tuna Salad lettuce wraps or 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters are filling snacks as well.
  • Kfinle06
    Kfinle06 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm snacking on baby carrots as we speak, I work overnight and I would hate for my metabolism to slow down....This is something light and doesnt require any dips unless u choose to use ranch..By the way, i'm not really a fan of carrots..I just know that they are healthy and I have easy access to them...

GOOD LUCK!!!!:wink:
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Apples, bananas, grapes

Ricecakes... they come in so many different flavors now!

Peanut butter and ANYTHING you want to dip... that can get a little high in calories but its protein!

Goldfish crackers!~! buy some snack baggies and a bag of fishes.... 60 fish is one serving!~!~! thats crazy to me! and its only 120 calories a serving. You could slowly snack on 60 fish for quite a while! Plus, they go on sale like all the time and there are 7 servings a bag.. thats LESS than a dollar a serving my friend!~!~!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Mixed nuts. If you're in Australia, HarvestBox are good (http://www.harvestbox.com.au/ and use the code 10305IY2H0I to get a free sample). If you aren't, browsing their menu might give you some good ideas for various tasty combinations of nuts, seeds, crackers and/or dried fruit - and I guess you could prepack them into zip bags of the right serving size yourself at the start of each week.
  • ninaws
    ninaws Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'd stay away from grapes/raisins. They are sugar bombs! Other fruits (and especially berries) aren't as high in sugar.

I'll echo what other people have mentioned: nuts and rice cakes! For the later, I like to get the white cheddar flavored kind.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'd stay away from grapes/raisins. They are sugar bombs! Other fruits (and especially berries) aren't as high in sugar.

I agree -eat these in moderation. However, organic dried pineapple and mango - they're scummy!
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Btw: In the UK we can get little snack bags ready packed with fruit, nuts etc etc - watch them!!! They are often loaded with sugar! better to buy your own and make little bags / pots up. Someone mentioned a 'harvest box', we have 'graze box' here in the UK: if your budget can stretch to it they are just fab! I love it when mine comes on Tuesday - and i stretch the 4 pots out to last the week.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I know they're processed and all, but I love snacking on Fiber One bars!!
  • sierracanbe
    Options
    pickles! no calories, & if you buy whole dill rather than spears, they're not messy & don't need to be refrigerated .n_n