I blew it!

Options
My birthday was Saturday so I pretty much binged Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I gained three pounds. I have no one to blame except myself. It's back to reality tomorrow. Hopefully it will come off easily when I go back to 1400 calories. I have worked so hard and the weight comes back so quickly.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Easy on-- easy off! Have a great week!
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    A lot of this is probably water weight as it is unlikely you gained 3 lbs in fat. And take it easy on yourself! You didn't blow it. It's just a blip in the overall process.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Some of that is probably water weight and some is probably just from the increase of food in your stomach. How long it will take to come off is hard to say. I held on to 2 lbs of water/food weight after easter for 6 days. Then it just dropped off all at once.

For it to be 3 lbs of fat you would have had to surpass your maintenance by 10,500 calories. That's a lot. Example:

Say you maintain at 1800 calories. That means in those 3 days you can eat 5,400 calories before you would gain fat. Doesn't matter how those calories are distributed. As long as they don't surpass that amount, any gain is from increased food in your stomach and water weight. To have gained 3 lbs of fat, you would have had to eat 15,900 calories over the weekend (if your maintenance is 1800...if it's higher than you would have to eat even more).

Another way to look at it:
    You would have needed to be over maintenance by 3500 every day.
    If you have say a goal of 1300 calories for 1 lb per week loss that would mean you would need to eat 1300 + 500 (deficit) + 3500 = 5,300 on all 3 days.
    If you have say a goal of 1300 calories for 2 lb per week loss that would mean you would need to eat 1300 + 1000 (deficit) + 3500 = 5,800 on all 3 days.

• Sleepyscribbler
    Sleepyscribbler Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great reply, Shadow2soul!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Drink some extra water this week and you'll be fine. You didn't blow it, you enjoyed your birthday. That's what happens in life, we have events where we indulge a bit and as long as you get back on track before going too far off the rails that's not blowing it. That's living real life. Happy birthday - now go drink some water!
  • aliceband21
    aliceband21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That's fab that you felt able to enjoy food for your birthday. We need to remember to treat ourselves, and birthdays are definitely good excuses to do that. Nonetheless, it's great that you've recognised that that was only for a short period of time, and now you're prepared to go back to healthier eating habits. Don't beat yourself up for eating up - be pleased you had the resources to treat yourself, and now get back on track.
  • Hfeff
    Hfeff Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This forum always makes me feel better.