New and Ready to Lose

Options
tmarie4
tmarie4 Posts: 34 Member
Hi all:
I am a 30 year old single mom of 1 one who has decided (again) that its time to do something about my weight. I am only 5'3" and have been on the heavier side my entire life. I have unfortunately ballooned up to my highest weight ever - 297lbs!!! When I stepped on the scale, I could not believe I was nearly 300lbs. I guess I didn't competely realize how enormous I had become. Although I feel heavy, I can say I am guilty of looking at other larger people and saying " I can't possibly be that big". Well, guess what - I am! I am disappointed to have allowed myself to get to this weight. I always thought by this time I would have a grip on it and not go into my 30's overweight. But I did. I am hoping that this is my year and I will have success. I decided to weigh myself today for the heck of it and see if anything had changed (it's only been a week) and I'm down almost 6lbs. It may only be water weight, but I really have to celebrate all victories, even the smallest ones. I have such a long road ahead of me and my hope is that I don't get discouraged if the scale doesn't move at the pace I'd like. Facing the need to lose over 100lbs is daunting. But this time, I'm more motivated than ever! I had my son, whose 11, take what will be my "before" pic, which I am working up the courage to post. I hope that a year from now I have an awesome after pic to post like many of the others. They are very insipring, and I want to be that one day too!

Replies

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,164 Member
    Options
    Being really ready to work at it makes all the difference. We all know what to do....... but if we haven't flipped that switch in our heads, we can't get out of the gate....... You mustn't look too far ahead..... take it one meal at a time, one day at a time. And DON'T LOOK BACK!!! Have a joyful journey.:smile:
  • MsWright28
    MsWright28 Posts: 43
    Options
    Welcome!!! Sending you a request :)
  • slackeyj
    slackeyj Posts: 68
    Options
    You can do it! Congrats on the first 6 lbs. I think it is very courageous to acknowledge you let it get out of hand and start taking the first steps to getting healthy. My Grandmother has been heavy since I can remember and it has been hard the past few years watching her deteriorate mostly because of being overweight. If she were not carrying around 100 extra pounds she would have a much easier time and better quality of life. Being overweight doesn't seem to effect a lot of people or keep them from doing too much in their 20s, 30s and 40s but my observation has been that as you get older it really takes its toll on the body and keeps you from doing all the things you want to do. My future is one of my biggest motivators to never let myself get too heavy and one of the biggest drivers when I am trying to stay in shape. Just remember, every little bit of exercise helps and it is hard for everyone no matter if you are 100lbs overweight and trying to walk a couple miles, 50 pounds overweight and trying to run for the first time in 2-3 years or at your ideal weight and trying to train for your first half marathon. If getting and staying fit were easy everyone would do it and there would be no need for support groups or calorie counting or anything like that. I find you inspirational for posting your information and taking action to live the kind of lifestyle you want! Thank you.
  • tmarie4
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words. I've got a long road ahead me...one day at a time
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    you'll get there one day - remember its a marathon not a sprint.
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Welcome!, You can do this &b you've definately come to the right place! Plenty of encouragment 7 motivation to go Round.
    Please feel free to friend me ;)
  • tmarie4
    Options
    Well, here I am. A year later and still fat. Disappointed with myself but willing to try again. I love reading the motivating stories. I just wish I could get there. It's so frustrating! But I'm sure most here already know that. Maybe this time....Here I go! Again...
  • hannyfran
    hannyfran Posts: 13
    Options
    I totally know the feeling, I've been on and off dieting for a year or two now. Just remember to take it one day at a time, and if you derail, just try to get back on the train as soon because every day that you stick to it is another day you're losing weight!