Low Calorie Snack Ideas?

Options
Apologies if this thread already exists, I couldn't find one.

Anyhoo, I'm trying to stick to 1200 calories a day and I find it easy to eat a healthy breakfast lunch and dinner, but the problem comes from the fact that no matter how filling, or tasty the full meals are, I'm still hungry and end up binging on desserts.

So I'd like to change my snacking habits so I'm not eating a bunch of chocolate and cookies all the time.

Fruit is obviously a good option but I have the same problem with it; after I eat a banana I'm still starving, same with oranges and apples etc. I love berries but they're expensive and not even in season most of the time. Low calorie versions of cookies etc I'm also open to but again they're quite pricey compared to the 40p custard creams in the supermarket. I'm on a low income so I can't make too much of a sacrifice financially.

So with this in mind, can anyone recommend any relatively cheap snacks that are really filling and low cal?

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies (very low in calories) & hummus
    Berries
    String cheese
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Look for things with protein.

Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt (buy big containers and portion it out yourself), nuts, hard boiled eggs... Peanut butter is good on everything - crackers, bread, apples, bananas.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to snack between meals or I would never make it. An apple is a great snack in the low calorie zone. If I have room any tree nuts are my go to snack, almonds, walnuts do me well. I also run to make room for more calories. I just don't starve well.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    My favorite low calorie fruits/veggies are: cantaloupe, honey dew melon, watermelon, strawberries, cucumber, broccoli, green beans.
  • jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Make an salad for a snack. Kale chips are really good. I/we always have black grapes, strawberries, apples and usually pineapple handy for a quick sweet fix. I tend to stay away from oranges and bananas but thats me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stick to 1200 calories a day and I find it easy to eat a healthy breakfast lunch and dinner, but the problem comes from the fact that no matter how filling, or tasty the full meals are, I'm still hungry and end up binging on desserts.

So I'd like to change my snacking habits so I'm not eating a bunch of chocolate and cookies all the time.

Fruit is obviously a good option but I have the same problem with it; after I eat a banana I'm still starving, same with oranges and apples etc. I love berries but they're expensive and not even in season most of the time. Low calorie versions of cookies etc I'm also open to but again they're quite pricey compared to the 40p custard creams in the supermarket. I'm on a low income so I can't make too much of a sacrifice financially.

So with this in mind, can anyone recommend any relatively cheap snacks that are really filling and low cal?

First, find out if 1200 is right for you. If you choose a too aggressive loss rate, your calories will be lower and lower, until they reach 1200, which is the minimum MFP "allows" for a woman.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Snacking has gotten out of hand, IMO, it's a benefit to the food industry, not to the population. Just fruit is not going to satiate you - the "meal" is unbalanced, you can even end up being more hungry after. Anything out of season is going to be expensive. You can buy frozen berries (but they won't be edible withour sweetener; I use them in smoothies w/banana and milk). Do not look for "diet cookies", it's a scam. Eat a real cookie now and then, instead.

Eat as many meals as you find suitable. Build up every meal with protein, fat and vegetables as a base - "addons" can be starch and/or fruit. Eat different things through the day, week, year. If you plan your meals, you can still eat balanced and have variety without producing waste, which is the killer of most food budgets.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stick to 1200 calories a day and I find it easy to eat a healthy breakfast lunch and dinner, but the problem comes from the fact that no matter how filling, or tasty the full meals are, I'm still hungry and end up binging on desserts.

First, find out if 1200 is right for you. If you choose a too aggressive loss rate, your calories will be lower and lower, until they reach 1200, which is the minimum MFP "allows" for a woman.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Snacking has gotten out of hand, IMO, it's a benefit to the food industry, not to the population. Just fruit is not going to satiate you - the "meal" is unbalanced, you can even end up being more hungry after. Anything out of season is going to be expensive. You can buy frozen berries (but they won't be edible withour sweetener; I use them in smoothies w/banana and milk). Do not look for "diet cookies", it's a scam. Eat a real cookie now and then, instead.

Eat as many meals as you find suitable. Build up every meal with protein, fat and vegetables as a base - "addons" can be starch and/or fruit. Eat different things through the day, week, year. If you plan your meals, you can still eat balanced and have variety without producing waste, which is the killer of most food budgets.

this is great advice! My OCD kicked in when-
    "If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal." and you put 15-25 insteas of 25-15 haha when i was reading it i was like nooo why is that the only one switched haha.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    apple slices w/peanut butter
    pineapple chunks with grapes (measured out) -these two taste awesome together
    half a tomato or banana sandwich on a low cal bread
    nuts
    cup of applesauce w/a few crackers
    cup of jello
    string cheese
    yogurt (low cal)
  • cherithg
    cherithg Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Vegetable sticks with salsa or hummus. Lettuce wraps with some chilli con carne in (I make a vegan one with just beans, so its probably lower calories than a meat based one). Homemade sushi - nori seaweed sheets wrapped cucumber and avo and a tiny bit of soy sauce. Rice paper wrapped veggie roll. "Mexican salad" - chopped up peppers, red onion, red kidney beans, tomatoes and salsa.
    Basically anything veggie based will be low calorie.
    Another option is to prepare a slightly bigger meal for breakfast or lunch, split it into two meals and eat each one a few hours apart. Will definitely cut down on prep time.

Or even just eat bigger meals and drink a lot of water, and you may find you wont even need snacks in between meals. I was a HUGE snacker but had to cut it out because I was finding myself eating literally all the the time, justfying every little thing I ate as a snack.. haha.

• mpfand
    mpfand Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Pretzels, hard boiled egg, hummus with bell peppers, Laughing Cow cheese with cucumbers or celery, popcorn, string cheese wrapped in a slice of turkey, handful of semi sweet chocolate chips. I'm on 1200 calories a day, too. I may not snack throughout the day, but I always make sure I have enough calories for a bowl of popcorn in the evening.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Popcorn rules! I agree. I can't wait to have some tonight.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    For what people are recommending here - be careful if you go the hummus or peanut butter route, it is easy to overeat on it because its calorie:volume ratio is higher. Make sure you weigh it.

Honestly the most filling snack I can turn to that is still low calorie is a plate of raw veggies and a single serving by weight of lower cal ranch or hummus (~70-100cal generally). And then also some Tabasco or whatever your preference is. Celery, Cauliflower, Cucumber (sprinkled with salt), Broccoli. Plate of that will get you full for <200cal easy.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn.
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I eat Cottage Cheese with Peaches or with sugar free Jelly mixed in. This is a snack that will really keep me full. Sometimes I eat a yogurt - lately have been eating the Dannon light and Fit with Chocolate on top (100 Cals) and that is really filling. I drink a TON of water- that keeps me feeling full. I have to flavor it though - with like those liquid sugar free drops. But that helps a lot!
  • johnna1212
    johnna1212 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I keep bacon in a Baggie, tuna packets and hard boiled eggs around.
  • GreenBananaAlmond
    GreenBananaAlmond Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you burn 500 calories each day, it will be easier to reach your goal since it will allow you to eat 1700 calories instead. 1200 calories is very tough and I'm not surprised you're hungry!

Low cal dessert:
    Kozy Shack Chocolate Pudding (130 cal)
    Siggi's 4% Vanilla Yogurt (100 cal)
    Dark chocolate chips & spoonful of almond butter (200 cal)

• MaydayKoigo
    MaydayKoigo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! And sorry for the late reply, I didn't see notifications until now. I'll deffinetly try a lot of these snacks <3
  • tessr760
    tessr760 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    if you like dessert type foods try chocolate pb2 (45 cals for 2 tbsp) with apple or celery or try tofutti fudge pops (30 cals each)