How do you get extra protein?

So I've adjusted my macros to get more protein (40P/30C/30F). I have some ideas on how to attain that goal, but I'm looking for suggestions as well, especially for snacks!

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    So I've adjusted my macros to get more protein (40P/30C/30F). I have some ideas on how to attain that goal, but I'm looking for suggestions as well, especially for snacks!

Do you have dietary restrictions like vegetarian? Omnivores have plenty of low fat, low sugar jerky options for snacks.
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    i love yogurt almonds protein powder and protein bars... i also make chicken everyday but ive learned different ways so that im not bored of it... also peanut butter is a great source and i have been eating oatmeal in the morning which also has a protein
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Hummus with veggies, cottage cheese, glass of skim milk, hard-boiled egg, greek yogurt with berries, edamame, cheese, nuts, bacon or turkey jerky.

Most of these come with fat, but I don't find a lot of protein-only or almost protein-only foods that are appealing on their own, much less that fit my idea of a "snack" (maybe a slice of ham that has been trimmed of visible fat, with a squirt of mustard).
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Dark leafy greens like kale are also a good source of protein
  • rachelregalado16
    rachelregalado16 Posts: 8 Member
    Broccoli
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Read this thread - covers everything...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    For meals? Fish. Especially salmon. Also turkey. For snacks? Greek yogurt.
  • iheartchocolate2016
    iheartchocolate2016 Posts: 17 Member
    By adding egg whites when you cook rolled oats, and throwing in a little ricotta to my food occasionally too. Not sure if you can have these, but thought I'd share anyway.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    One tablespoon of Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin and one tablespoon of Organic Ville Red Miso Soup Concentrate stirred into a cup of hot water. You get 12 grams of protein for only 68 calories,
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Lots and lots of chicken and fish. Beef is pretty fatty, even the lean cuts, so I limit beef to a meal or two per week.

Whey isolate shakes with lowfat or nonfat milk (the isolate is more expensive, but isn't so chalky and has a lot less lactose). I have one of these with about 50-60 grams of protein for breakfast every day.

Fat free greek yogurt, optionally with berries. Fage brand is expensive but tastes amazing.

Lowfat string cheese and nuts have a little protein too, but are mostly fat, so I only eat a little of these.

I eat tons of green veggies too, but most of my protein comes from chicken, whey, and nonfat greek yogurt.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    With 40% protein, very little fat, and a 1200 calorie allowance, you are going to struggle. Any particular reason for these goals?
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Just eat larger portions of your current protein sources.
  • caurinus
    With 40% protein, very little fat, and a 1200 calorie allowance, you are going to struggle. Any particular reason for these goals?

You're right, the 1200 calorie goal is probably too aggressive for a goal weight of 150 pounds. I'd probably go with 1400 or 1500. But 40% protein and 30% fat is fine. That's not even low fat. I do better with 20% of calories from fat, and that gives me more calories to spend on fibrous fruits and vegetables. Lean proteins and green veggies are the most satiating foods you can eat, per calorie:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000995050050000000000.html
  • caurinus
    edited April 2016
    caurinus wrote: »
    I'd probably go with 1400 or 1500.

(replying to my last post) note that this is a wild guess without knowing OPs current height or weight.

Also, full disclosure: I'm doing 40%P / 40%C / 20%F and losing 1.8 lbs per week with very few cravings.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I use natural chicken and natural turkey white meat to get protein without additional salt. I also use beef and pork for protein. Each weekday I start with a protein shake to make good progress toward my protein goal each day. I also use eggs to get protein. Several of the vegetables I consume also offer a bit of protein.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    caurinus wrote: »

You're right, the 1200 calorie goal is probably too aggressive for a goal weight of 150 pounds. I'd probably go with 1400 or 1500. But 40% protein and 30% fat is fine. That's not even low fat. I do better with 20% of calories from fat, and that gives me more calories to spend on fibrous fruits and vegetables. Lean proteins and green veggies are the most satiating foods you can eat, per calorie:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000995050050000000000.html

It's actually closer to 1600, the 1200 is after exercise. I will likely eat more than that now that I've increased the protein, it's just serving as a bit of a rough guide. I'm going to try to not go over 1900 before exercise though.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will take these into account.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    I try to include protein every breakfast to jump start me on making my goal for the day. Cottage cheese/eggs are the way to go. If I'm lacking in protein and it's dinner time already, I will defrost a big ol' chicken breast for dinner, and that usually bumps me up high enough for the day.

As for snacks, try string cheese. Most lower fat string cheese are 60-70 calories and should have no carb and mostly protein. You could also try making some boiled eggs in advance and grabbing one when you need a snack.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Read this thread - covers everything...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789

Excellent chart, thanks!
  • BroScience83
    BroScience83 Posts: 1,689 Member
    is-butter-a-carb.jpg