Restaurant nutritional information???

Options
Does anyone know any good sites to get nutritional information to restaurants? I have found some for fast food but not for sit down restaurants. Today we went to Ozzies Corner Italian and I know I went beyond my calorie intake but I would like to know by how much.
We tend to eat at places like TGIFridays. Olive Garden. Red Robin...Family style places.

Thanks so much for the help
corpsechick

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Go to the resturants page and search for their nutritional information. Some post it, some don't.

I just found out TGIFriday's does NOT post ANY nutritional info beyond the "below 750 calories" that is in the menu. Simply refuse to give out the info. In this cases (and local restaurants which I tend to frequent), I best guess it.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If it's a chain place most of them have it on their websites. If it's a local place then you'll have to use a chain to guess.

Basically no matter what I put half in a to go box before I even start eating, out of sight out of mind. I don't stress if I go over once and awhile either.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    For example, here it is for Red Robin:

http://www.redrobin.com/customizer/

Another easy thing to do is just google restaurant name + nutritional info. If any outside analysis has been done on places that don't publish it will come up this way.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with restaurants that will not give out their nutritional information. Anyone else feel that way too?
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I always try searching the restaurant in MFP first, and if I can't find it, I just go to google. I think the one I like the most is LiveStrong.com but sometimes I'm only able to find limited sources. When that happens, I just try and put everything together through MFP- like if I went to a restaurant that wasn't listed online or in MFP, I would look up each specific item in MFP individually.

Hope that helps!
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    For example, here it is for Red Robin:

http://www.redrobin.com/customizer/

Another easy thing to do is just google restaurant name + nutritional info. If any outside analysis has been done on places that don't publish it will come up this way.

that too!
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So far when I have asked for it, the restaurant has produced it. And I carry my phone and go searching for info just before I enter the door. Members have been so wonderful since lots of food choices have been logged in.
  • nhgirl30
    nhgirl30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    www.calorieking.com
  • corpsechick
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • Tinan76
    Tinan76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is one of the things I love about living in California. If a restaurant has over 20 stores they are required to post the nutritional info in the description on the menu
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Wow... I wish Australian restaurants did this!

It's ABNORMAL for a restaurant to post anything about their nutritional value - most fast food places are just starting to.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with restaurants that will not give out their nutritional information. Anyone else feel that way too?

Not at all, I don't expect it. I would rather eat at a restaurant that varies their menu to make the most of seasonal and available produce than one that produces exactly the same food every day and in every part of the country.
    I do like it if their current menu is posted online so I can think about what I might eat and plan my day but I don't want cookie cutter mass produced food!
    Of course, I don't live in the US where it seems to be more common, but I think learning to make a smart choice (or control my portion) from any menu is a valuable life skill!

PS. the database has an incredible range of foods, you can always find something similar to give you an estimate.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Dottie's Weight Loss Zone: DWLZ.com

Geared toward WW, but she has fat, cal, fiber and protein listed. Great site.

blessings.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    when i go out to eat, it's a treat for me. i order what i want and i almost never finish my food anyway so i usually eat half and take the rest home. i always end up eating the rest later tho so i just log the whole meal and if i go over i go over a little bit, if i go over a lot i work out before bed.
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend :smile: When the restaurant doesn't have the information handy, I resort to Google. 9 times out of 10, I get the information that I need.
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options

Yes! I refuse to eat somewhere if their information isn't accessible.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

But, but, but..... you just WON'T eat somewhere if they won't give you a calorie count?? Can't you tell by looking at a menu what is going to be a healthier vs unhealthier choice?

Don't come to Australia for a holiday then, unless you like McDonalds and Subway!
  • jesi327
    jesi327 Posts: 1
    Options
    Red Robin's nutrional information is in the mfp datatbase. I don't think I'm ever eating there again. :( It's a sad day.
  • ilovemyjacks
    Options
    Red Robin's nutrional information is in the mfp datatbase. I don't think I'm ever eating there again. :( It's a sad day.
    LOL! I am a manager for RR. If you modify things which they are super receptive of (check it all on thier website first to get calories counts on your modifications), you really can eat pretty well here.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options

But, but, but..... you just WON'T eat somewhere if they won't give you a calorie count?? Can't you tell by looking at a menu what is going to be a healthier vs unhealthier choice?

Don't come to Australia for a holiday then, unless you like McDonalds and Subway!

Same with the UK, even our chains don't do the info. It literally is a case of if i want to eat where the info is it would be subway or Mcdonalds.