Varicose veins

Options
KBH90
KBH90 Posts: 11 Member
My mum currently has varicose veins down one leg and sciatica in the other so she is doubled up in pain, however she lose weight and get healthy.

Would doing cardio and weight lifting be bad for her, and make her legs worse?

If she could lift, would she be restriced to the assisted machines or could she use free weights?

The veins are pretty bad and she is due for an operation but hasn't been given a date and doesn't want to wait to get fit.

Any advice and suggestions would be great!

Replies

• DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think this would be a question that her doctor should answer, given that she's apparently already seeing one. A quick call to the office should suffice.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have had bad veins operated on 3 times. Unfortunately they are hereditary. My vein doctor puts no restrictions on what I do and says that the elliptical is best for your legs. I would ask the doctor, but from my experience exercise will not make her current situation better, but after her surgery it should help prevent them, some. My legs look awesome right now and I do the elliptical a lot. I lift weights too but I'd ask her doctor about that to be safe.

Tell her I said good luck! I know what she's going through, they hurt like crazy. Surgery will help so much!
  • KBH90
    KBH90 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will do!
  • MichaelaSenft
    MichaelaSenft Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    get compression socks. they keep them from bulging during exercise and it helps a lot!