buying protein shake this weekend what do i need to look for

Options
Ok so i'm off to my local holland and barrett http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories.asp?promo=1&cid=5&MCat=1 this weekend as they have a sale on and i intend to invest in some whey protein type stuffs to help me with my p90 journey which is starting soon.

but of course i'm sure theres loads of different things i need to look for, can someone outline what i should be after in laymens terms please?

I know nothing about these things so i dont wanna get it wrong!

i'm looking to loose fat, tone up and build some (but not loads) muscle

Replies

• evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump - interested to know myself
  • laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    Options
    You need to find one with plenty of grams of protein - mine has something like 38g per 2 scoops. Mine also has low carbs, although many have hi carbs so depends what you are after there.

Also, toning up and building muscle are the same thing. You will need to build plenty of muscle if you want that toned look, so dont think you will get all bulky weight training - you wont! But you will need to lift efficient heavy weights to get that toned looked and having a protein shake with your workouts will help hugely. Try and get as much protein as possible.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the whole thing as well so interested to see the replies, but I would suggest looking at
    - protein content
    - sugar content
    - any extra additives etc

I've recently bought a big tub of maximuscle promax powder (strawberry), which tastes just like strawberry milk shake when made with milk - be warned though, 1 scoop + 1 pint of semi-skimmed milk (UK pint) + 1 banana is just under 500 cals!
  • laurenlei
    Options
    be warned though, 1 scoop + 1 pint of semi-skimmed milk (UK pint) + 1 banana is just under 500 cals!

If you're worried about calories, why dont you have it with water? Ive also heard milk slows down the absorption of the shake in the body! I always have mine with water
  • carolinerooke
    carolinerooke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are best consumed with water as they do not have the fat content with milk. They need to be taken within half an hour of exercise/training. The best place to get them from (cheaper and larger tubs) is myprotein. These have the highest protein content of all of the maximuscle, nutrisport and other brands. They also work when you are a bit peckish as these will stop you from snacking. Taking one before bedtime with skimmed milk is OK. Bear in mind though, don't take them on your off days of training as they will be stored as fat. Use them as a recovery drink.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    be warned though, 1 scoop + 1 pint of semi-skimmed milk (UK pint) + 1 banana is just under 500 cals!

If you're worried about calories, why dont you have it with water? Ive also heard milk slows down the absorption of the shake in the body! I always have mine with water

I wasn't worried about the cals, I knew what it would be before I had it. Yup, milk slows down the absorption - I was going on a two hour hike straight after work, but before dinner so it was deliberate :) If I'd been going to the gym that would have been different.

But just a warning to check the cals if you're making it with milk.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options

Wait! What? Why didn't I know this before?! Mine tastes like crap with water!
  • laurenlei
    Options

LOL what shake do u use? Time for some protein shake shopping?!!!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    My goal is to burn fat, tone muscle and NOT gain weight and be bulky so my trainer recommended My Protein 100%Whey Protein, i got the banana flavour and have it with water and a banana for breakfast and its a great breakfast suppliment.
  • broxi1979
    broxi1979 Posts: 30
    Options
    Avoid Maximuscle and avoid H&B in my opinion. I use MyProtein True Whey, they have some nice flavours and they're very cheap. Just avoid Cookies and Cream - horrible.

I'm going for the straight up unflavoured stuff next though, mixes well with water or milk.
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    Look for:
    -HIgh protein
    -wide range of amino acids
    -short ingredient list (avoid the fake stuff)
    -low sugar/carbs
    -low fats

My protein is 130 calories/scoop with 28 grams of protein. 1 carb.

**Make sure you get a post work-out protein shake and not a "meal replacement" the meal replacements have more calories for those trying to bulk up.

I also make my protein shake with water for absorption purposes. I add a tbsp of cocoa powder, ice, water, protein, vanilla or almond extract and a tiny bit of agave nectar or honey.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options

LOL what shake do u use? Time for some protein shake shopping?!!!

maxitone.. just bought a new one :angry: am thinking of switching to PhD. How's that with water?
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    Bear in mind though, don't take them on your off days of training as they will be stored as fat.

How do you figure?
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Just a quick warning, unless you specifically want soya protein, stay away. When the stuff swells, if has an unpleasant texture ( grainy) in the mouth:tongue:
  • jlb392
    jlb392 Posts: 1
    Options
    In addition to a high protein/low carb content, you also want to look at the ingredients for Whey Protein Isolate. Whey is better than soy and Isolate is a better quality protein than whey concentrate....
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You want a shake with 25 or more grams of protien and less than 200 calories and watch the sugar content.

Good choices are Premier Protein, Pure Protein and Muscle Milk Light.

With extra protein, you need to get in all your water and all your fiber. Protein without the other two, can clog you up and that is no fun!

Good luck, I do 1 or 2 Premier Protein Shakes every day!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I found the article below very helpful!

http://www.proteinreport.com/
  • RyvreTam
    RyvreTam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Is it true that your body won't use more than 28g at a time?

I'm mixing the powder in to my jamba smoothie, and recently read someone puts it in their oatmeal.
  • Ley2ndtry
    Ley2ndtry Posts: 136
    Options
    that article was brilliant thanks!