Shin splints ?!

Options
So I signed up for my first 5k in July (I've always hated running so this is a big deal). So I need to start training. But, as soon as I start to run I get awful shin splints that make it hard to keep running. Does anyone have or know how to help either prevent them or at least try and keep the pain to a minimum ??
Thanks !

Replies

• coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I get them just walking! Normally from pronating your feet which cause stress on ankle joints so tendons work overtime to compensate. Invest in a really good pair of supportive shoes, buy some inserts, warm up & stretch
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Compression sleeves!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    My question whenever a new runner asks about shin splints is your shoes - did you get properly fitted at a running store? It's very likely you are wearing the wrong/ old shoes.

Shin splints will continue to get worse if you don't address the issue.
  • Lana4639
    Lana4639 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Based on my experience with shin splints I would suggest doing calf raises and other exercises to strengthen the muscles in that region. Slowing down and gradually increasing my speed was also helpful in alleviating my shin splints.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Properly fitting shoes and good ankle/calf stretches before/after running helped me. I also wear compression sleeves on longer runs (anything over 10K).
  • mer1cose
    mer1cose Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Calf stretching is key... proper warm up should help as well
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints when I started running last year! I invested in a new pair of shoes and it didn't stop. So I found exercises and stretches to do to strengthen the calf muscles. You can also roll beside your shin and ice the shin.

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/4-exercises-to-prevent-shin-splints
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/4-stretches-to-combat-shin-splints.html

Once your shin splints are gone keep up with the exercise and add in some skipping!!

I hope this helps
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    start out slow and if that doesn't help then new shoes and a gait analysis.

I did c25k which meant running for short periods and gradually increasing...never had shin splints.

As well it could be the surface you are running on.

I try to running on a path most of the time...