Women average calories per day?

Options
Regardless of exercise, height, weight, how much to loose etc. What is the average amount of calories consumed daily?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am currently maintaining. I eat about 2,000 calories a day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I maintain I average around 2350. Right now I average around 1750.

What are you using this info for?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how the numbers would be helpful without those other details that help frame the answer.

I eat between 1700-1900 during the week and 2200-2400 on the weekends usually.
  • reejak
    reejak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You should base it on your basal metabolic rate. I am around 1,200 a day. If you truly want to loose, you have to decrease the calories pretty low but not lower than 1,200 a day.
    See this website under apps, then BMR.
    or you could check out and read about it here: http://dailyburn.com/life/health/how-to-calculate-bmr/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    MandyC1972 wrote: »
    Regardless of exercise, height, weight, how much to loose etc. What is the average amount of calories consumed daily?

I'm not sure what you're asking. The statistical average for all women, all heights, all weights, all ages, and all activity levels? I'm not sure why this would be relevant for you.

Find your TDEE (maintenance): http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Then take a cut from that. The amount of the cut SHOULD vary depending upon how much weight you have to lose.
    5% cut = close to goal
    25% cut = obese
  • reejak
    Options
    I need about 1800 a day. this is 90% deficit from my TDEE (total daily energy expenditures).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I maintain on 1800-1900, and like to lose around 1400-1600. I'm 5'4", in the 130's, lightly active.
  • reejak
    Options
    i work out about 3-4 times a week, and am short 5'2 weigh 145 and am on the decline in weight.
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm not active at all. I'm eating 1,970 to lose 2# a week. I'm high bmi though.
  • MandyC1972
    MandyC1972 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm averaging at around 2800 per day and I'm 9stone. I'm 5ft 1. Im not tall but I want to be 8stone but I don't get how people eat less calories and still weigh more than me?
  • reejak
    Options
    http://dailyburn.com/life/health/how-to-calculate-bmr/
    This is the website that I meant to post.....

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    reejak wrote: »
    You should base it on your basal metabolic rate. I am around 1,200 a day. If you truly want to loose, you have to decrease the calories pretty low but not lower than 1,200 a day.
    See this website under apps, then BMR.
    or you could check out and read about it here: http://dailyburn.com/life/health/how-to-calculate-bmr/

OP -
    BMR is calories used if you never got out of bed. Do NOT take a cut from here.

1200 is MFP's DEFAULT minimum (before exercise). You will be assigned 1200 with an aggressive weekly goal, or if you are very petite or you are a senior lady.
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1600-2100 calories a day to lose weight, depending on how active I am that day. 5'3" at 213.8 lbs. (Started at 287.6 lbs.)
  • jemhh
    Options
    Ok I'm averaging at around 2800 per day and I'm 9stone. I'm 5ft 1. Im not tall but I want to be 8stone but I don't get how people eat less calories and still weigh more than me?

Your goal is 2800 per day? Not 1800? How did you get that goal? What is your activity level like? That is high for most women of your stature.
  • MandyC1972
    Options
    That's not my goal that's what I'm eating just now..
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    1900-2300
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Height, age, weight, activity levels, hormones are all factors. Along with self reporting of calories is highly influenced by errors. So while many people say they are eating 1200 cals, it is not uncommon for them to be eating much more.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

This is why asking such a vague question to begin with isn't really helpful. The amount of calories a person needs to maintain their weight, their TDEE includes their BMR (amount of calories to keep you alive even if bedridden) plus non exercise activity (all the day to day stuff you do at work, at home, etc) plus any exercise you do. TDEE can vary based on a person's stats (height/weight/gender/age), activity level, and amount of lean body mass.

Have you read any of the Most Helpful Forum Posts in particular in the Getting Started section, like this one?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

It may help answer a lot of your questions about how to use this site most effectively.
  • jemhh
    Options
    That's not my goal that's what I'm eating just now..

Okay. Well I could eat 3500 per day and then ask why you only eat 2800. Do you not see how the details, which you seem not to want to clarify, affect the explanation?
  • MandyC1972
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Height, age, weight, activity levels, hormones are all factors. Along with self reporting of calories is highly influenced by errors. So while many people say they are eating 1200 cals, it is not uncommon for them to be eating much more.

Ok that may make sense as I can't live on 1200 calories but according to the calculations I should be eating 1200 calories before exercise. I do 2 BodyPump classes, 1 Metafit and 1 LBT with an hour walk per week. What's realistic calories to have?