Snacking after a workout....?! Yes or No?

Options
I find all the different trends on working out and nutrition so confusing (that's no the right word, maybe contradictory, changing, all over the place)! I understand the math of calories in, calories out... Eat at a deficit and you will shed pounds.... Unless you eat too little then starvation mode...
But, what about having to eat after a workout? Protein or fat or low glycemic..... Sooooo much to consider and I'm having a hard time, mentally, accepting that I need to eat after a workout (if I'm not hungry) in order to regenerate muscle or whatever the scientific reason behind it... I don't want to add 100-200 calories on a protein bar, or a smoothie, or whatever unless I'm hungry........ But? If I don't eat something, am I sabotaging the workout?
And then, what snacks to pick from? A banana? Berries? Protein bars or smoothies? A boiled egg? Gggaaahhh.... So much to decide!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. If you're hungry and it fits in your calories, then eat it. Doesn't matter what. Also, starvation mode doesn't exist.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I think you're over-thinking it. If you're hungry after a workout, have a snack. Make it something that appeals to you and fits your calorie goals.

Exercise has health benefits even if you don't snack right afterwards. If you aren't hungry, wait until you are and then eat something.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I workout after work, then go home and eat dinner. Meal timing doesn't matter.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Agreed....don't stress. If you're hungry, eat. If not, don't. Its best, nutritionally, to pick a 'healthier' food like fruit or protein, but as long as you dont go over calories you can eat junk too and still lose weight and become more fit.

Meal timing is really only important to those who are working out to perform better as an athlete. For example, someone who is competing in body building comps or running a marathon should probably pay closer attention to what they eat around their workouts in order to better fuel their workouts. The average person, just looking to lose weight and get/stay fit, doesn't have to worry about it.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry and your tummy can handle it, eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    NadiaMayl wrote: »
    I find all the different trends on working out and nutrition so confusing (that's no the right word, maybe contradictory, changing, all over the place)! I understand the math of calories in, calories out... Eat at a deficit and you will shed pounds.... Unless you eat too little then starvation mode...
    But, what about having to eat after a workout? Protein or fat or low glycemic..... Sooooo much to consider and I'm having a hard time, mentally, accepting that I need to eat after a workout (if I'm not hungry) in order to regenerate muscle or whatever the scientific reason behind it... I don't want to add 100-200 calories on a protein bar, or a smoothie, or whatever unless I'm hungry........ But? If I don't eat something, am I sabotaging the workout?
    And then, what snacks to pick from? A banana? Berries? Protein bars or smoothies? A boiled egg? Gggaaahhh.... So much to decide!

You're not sabotaging the work because the work is for fitness, not burning calories or whatever. And if you understand the equation then you would understand that it doesn't matter. If I need 2800 calories to maintain with all of my activities, including exercise...and I eat 2300 calories, I'm going to lose weight regardless if I ate those calories after a workout or not.

By and large, most people's daily workouts will be adequately fueled by their daily nutrition and normal meals and snacks and whatnot and don't really require pre and post workout nutrition per sei (this also assumes you are eating adequately in the first place). The only time I really worry about getting in some post work nutrition in fairly promptly is after a longish bike ride...If I go ride for 30 miles + I need something pretty well right after the ride to get my glycogen stores back up and to start the recovery process.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    No. Eat when you're hungry. I workout first thing around 6-7am and don't eat until 12-1.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Eating a high protein snack within one hour after can help your muscles recover. However, unless you're doing some fairly serious strength training, you're unlikely to notice a difference. If you experience bad muscle soreness, it would be worth trying. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been thinking about this all morning. Trainers at the gym are always emphasizing the pre and post workout snacks... So I was doing it for a while, without really wanting to or being hungry. Which then meant less calories left for dinner or afternoon hunger... Which was making me very grumpy! Then I thought about 10 years ago, when I first dropped most of the weight I needed off, doing weight watchers, and back then, I never worried about any of this ultra-athlete non-sense that is being told to the regular housewife working out for an hour! -sarcasm intended.
    My workouts consist of a spin class 3x week, strength training 2-3x week. I don't lift heavy and I don't train for any kind of competition or extreme sport. So I should not be eating for it!
    And yes, a few of you mentioned, I am overthinking too much! Which is backfiring! I sooo badly want to get fitter for my 40th bday that it's becoming an obsessive process... Which is not necessarily good! Thanks!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think you're over-thinking it. If you're hungry after a workout, have a snack. Make it something that appeals to you and fits your calorie goals.

Exercise has health benefits even if you don't snack right afterwards. If you aren't hungry, wait until you are and then eat something.

+1