Only monitor calories for weight loss?

youngandaspiringxo
youngandaspiringxo Posts: 74 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you think that in order to successfully and consistently lose weight you only need to watch your calories? Or do you think that it is important to watch your fat, carb, sugar, and sodium intake as well?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    only calories matter for weight loss.

the other stuff is for health and unless you have an issue like high blood pressure no worries.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Depends on how healthy you want to make your organs.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2016
    Depends on how healthy you want to make your organs.

@Acacia_Evers the question was about successful and consistent weight loss right?

ETA: and how does counting micros and macros make or break healthy organs?
  • new_me_4
    new_me_4 Posts: 23 Member
    I always wondered about that as well. In the past I have counted calories for weight loss but I also made sure that I exercised. This works for some people but not everybody. Best of luck on your weight loss
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I counted calories to lose weight. I ignored sugar and sodium and I just made sure I got sufficient protein and fat.

I lost over 40 pounds and am currently maintaining on the same plan, just with more calories.

A calorie deficit is all that is needed for weight loss.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2016
    If you are purely interested in weight loss, your primary focus should be on calories. If you are looking for overall fitness, you may focus on macronutrients and/or micronutrients and/or exercise and/or a variety of other factors.

Most people talk "weight loss" but would be better of thinking of the whole picture.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Do you think that in order to successfully and consistently lose weight you only need to watch your calories? Or do you think that it is important to watch your fat, carb, sugar, and sodium intake as well?

I lost the extra poundage only focusing on calories. I've also now been maintaining for several years, still only focusing on calories. I'm in excellent health with great blood panels and no medical issues/medication etc. I eat what I like, focus on the calories, stick with portion sizes and keep things pretty simple :)