Night Shift snack ideas?

Options
Im just posting to see if anyone can give me any new ideas on how to combat what i call the night shift munchies?

I work 12 hour nights shifts and have 4 in a row next week, so calories during the day wont be a problem as i will be sleeping...but its the shifts that are hard, most of my co workers happily munch away on crisps and cookies and sometimes full meals (spag bol at 2am i cant stomach it at all!!!)

I usually just eat little and often...so far iv snacked on fruit (grapes, cherries, apple) small portions of unsalted nuts, weight watchers crisps (80 cals per pack) and sugar free fizzy drinks.....but this will grow old after 4 in a row im sure

ideas please?

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Replies

• apeydawn
    apeydawn Posts: 52
    Options
    a few years ago I worked night shifts and lost around 30lbs. I would normally stop and pick up a 12 in sub on my way. I'd also keep some kind of fruit and nuts with me....... I'd split the sub into two meals. It seemed to work pretty well.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Are you anti-vegetable? Every night I cut up whatever we have (carrots, celery, peppers, cucumbers) into sticks and both my husband I snack on them during the day. If I want protein to fill me up more, I dip mine in plain yogurt, cottage cheese, or nut/seed butter. We love this healthy snack!
  • faythelg
    faythelg Posts: 12
    Options
    I also work 12hr shifts at night I usually snack on frozen small red grapes, pop chips are a great, raw veggies, 90 cal fiber one bars are a low cal sweet treat, 100 cal snacks and atkins daybreak bars are also a good idea, jello and sugar free pudding snacks. just a few ideas that I have taken with me to work. Good luck.
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    hi ya. I work nightshifts twice a week too. Cooked and peeled king prawns 100g is only 77cals. Sweet pepper, carrots and any other raw veg you like is always nice with salsa sauce and actually 30g of tortilla chips with salsa is pretty low too. Cup a soups are low and satisfying. Sometimes tbh I will make a bowl of pasta and load up on veg so by the time i'm working I don't actually feel the need to snack. M&S have lovely sushi rolls made with cucumber instead of rice and a pack is only around 50cals.
  • Gennienm
    Gennienm Posts: 14
    Options
    Just a thought on snacking, all of the above post have wonderful ideas for healthy low calorie intake. One that is also healthy is to carry a toothbrush with you and brush your teeth when you get that feeling you have to munch on something.

Along with that thought is to chew sugar free gum (if you are allowed to at your job) or ice chips. This has helped me at work during the day. Two goals at once there . . .water intake and crunch! :wink:
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a little veggie tray -- carrots, celery, raw broccoli or cauliflower, grape/cherry tomatoes and a tub of hummus. You can cut up a large amount (enough for a few days) and keep it and the hummus tub in the Fridge.

I can often be found having just such a stash in the fridge at my job.
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    the ainsley harriott cup a soups are really nice and low in cals.....50ish per soup.
    Ryvita's and light philly (less than 100 cals for 2)
    Sugar free jelly pots (about 8 cals a pot)
    Filled pitta's (salad, tuna, ham, turkey, houmous) (about 200 cals filled)
    Veg sticks and dip
    Wholemeal toast and a bit of peanut butter or marmite (150 cals per slice)
    hard boiled eggs (70 cals each)
  • rn_jacki
    rn_jacki Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I worked 12 hour night shifts as a nurse for years. I think having a meal is your best bet. If you can't 'stomach' something heavy then go a little lighter, but when you're sleeping all day you still have to fuel your body to keep you awake at night. I know night shift is historically a snacky shift because people are exhausted. My secrets were to make sure you are SLEEPING during the day. You need to make sure you're still getting at least eight hours. I would then wake up about 5 PM and make a good healthy dinner before heading in and pack a 'lunch' to have about 2 AM. If you really feel like you need to snack my new favorite is carrot sticks with the 100calorie packs of guacamole. The protein, fat, and fiber in there will give you energy to keep going as well as make you feel more full. Another great snack is popcorn (a benefit is the rest of your colleagues will probably help you eat it!)

Good luck!
  • FatNurseSlim
    Options
    Thank you everyone for some great ideas - ill probably try them all to keep it varied and avoid boredum.... rn _ jackie where do you get 100 calorie guacamole from? this was one of my fave snacks untill i started healthy eating and iv not had any id love to know where you got it?

xx
  • rn_jacki
    rn_jacki Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for some great ideas - ill probably try them all to keep it varied and avoid boredum.... rn _ jackie where do you get 100 calorie guacamole from? this was one of my fave snacks untill i started healthy eating and iv not had any id love to know where you got it?

xx

Whoops, sorry for the delay. I get my 100 cal snack guacamole at Super Walmart. They have a Marketside brand. Otherwise the name brand that you could probably find at most grocery stores is Wholly Guacamole. At Wal-Mart it's right in the produce section by the deli prepared salsas and pre-chopped veggies.
  • ShannonPuentes
    ShannonPuentes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Carrot sticks and celery sticks ---you may want to keep a small container of peanut butter at your desk (if your not allergic to nuts!!!) just so you can treat your self to something indulgent from time to time. Goes great with the celery!

Yogurt covered raisons and fresh fruit is also a great snacking ideas. Slices of cantaloupe, watermelon and strawberries make for awesome healthy snacks...

***Stay away from anything salty and avoid foods loaded with carbs as they will not be worth the effort you will later have to expend to work them back off.