Resting muscle groups?

Hi All,

How long should I wait before exercising the same muscle group. For example say I did chest and legs on Monday, when is it ok to do them again? (I.E. how long a rest period should I have?)

Thanks.

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    The general minimum is 48 hours. To allow sufficient recovery, the lower back can take up to 72 hours. That is definitely not something you want to risk over working since it can have such a high risk of injury. I make sure to always allow 48 hours.

Though if I do deadlifts one day, then I'll probably still work abs the next day since deadlifts hit them indirectly. Some will disagree, but I've noticed steady progress going about it this way.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I've heard the 48 hours thing before. I've also heard you can work your calves, forearms and abs every day.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I guess it depends on what your goals are. I do Crossfit and am a competitive powerlifter and recreational olympic lifter. I squat in some variation 5x per week and just vary my intensity and volume. I don't split at all and it hasn't affected me in a negative way.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    It also depends on how intense your workout is.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    I guess it depends on what your goals are. I do Crossfit and am a competitive powerlifter and recreational olympic lifter. I squat in some variation 5x per week and just vary my intensity and volume. I don't split at all and it hasn't affected me in a negative way.

It definitely does depend on your goals. Powerlifting with proper nutrition can definitely be done more regularly, opposed to hypertrophy training which is all about the recovery and growth.

• natluthje
    natluthje Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the info. I generally do calves everyday because they are not so sore after a workout but recently I did 360kgs legpress (5 sets X 6 reps) and my quads are KILLING me! I don't think i'll be able to do legs for a week! lol