Women average calories per day?

Options
2»

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Cutting around 2000-2200. Maintain around 2400.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    MandyC1972 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Ok I'm averaging at around 2800 per day and I'm 9stone. I'm 5ft 1. Im not tall but I want to be 8stone but I don't get how people eat less calories and still weigh more than me?

Height, age, weight, activity levels, hormones are all factors. Along with self reporting of calories is highly influenced by errors. So while many people say they are eating 1200 cals, it is not uncommon for them to be eating much more.

Ok that may make sense as I can't live on 1200 calories but according to the calculations I should be eating 1200 calories before exercise. I do 2 BodyPump classes, 1 Metafit and 1 LBT with an hour walk per week. What's realistic calories to have?

I would put all of that into MFP and see what it says. On days I don't exercise, MFP says I should eat 1330 to lose a pound/week but I find some way to exercise every day even if it is just a 20 min walk to give me an extra 70 calories.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The details are very important. I'm 5'1and I exercise about 4-6 times a week depending on my schedule. My calorie intake is going to be different than someone who is the same height but sedentary.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Isn't the "average woman" from the Nutrition Facts Label eating 2000 calories per day?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Last week I averaged 1926 calories.
    Typically I'd say what my 30 day average is, but it's currently wrong since I ate out at least 1 once a week prior where I didn't know the calorie count.

I'm 5'4.5" , 26 and currently about 122.3 lbs. I'm aiming for 0.5 lb per week loss.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm averaging at around 2800 per day and I'm 9stone. I'm 5ft 1. Im not tall but I want to be 8stone but I don't get how people eat less calories and still weigh more than me?

Height, age, weight, activity levels, hormones are all factors. Along with self reporting of calories is highly influenced by errors. So while many people say they are eating 1200 cals, it is not uncommon for them to be eating much more.

Ok that may make sense as I can't live on 1200 calories but according to the calculations I should be eating 1200 calories before exercise. I do 2 BodyPump classes, 1 Metafit and 1 LBT with an hour walk per week. What's realistic calories to have?

If you are currently eating 2800 calories, are you losing or gaining doing that?

The program typically will give us shorter ladies the 1200 cal goal, but the expectation is that you log exercise and that will give you more calories to eat on active days.

Personally, I don't like having a moving target each day, so I changed it to 1700 cal/day and I make sure I work out. I let Fitbit adjust my calories up, but I rarely eat those, because there are other days when I know I won't move as much, so my busy days make up the difference.

You need to find what works for you. If you are losing on 2800 cal/day, then great! If not, then you will need to drop it (assuming you are trying to lose weight).

The sexypants link up thread is a great resource.

• MandyC1972
    MandyC1972 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

If you are currently eating 2800 calories, are you losing or gaining doing that?

The program typically will give us shorter ladies the 1200 cal goal, but the expectation is that you log exercise and that will give you more calories to eat on active days.

Personally, I don't like having a moving target each day, so I changed it to 1700 cal/day and I make sure I work out. I let Fitbit adjust my calories up, but I rarely eat those, because there are other days when I know I won't move as much, so my busy days make up the difference.

You need to find what works for you. If you are losing on 2800 cal/day, then great! If not, then you will need to drop it (assuming you are trying to lose weight).

This is my calorie intake per day before joining here. I want to loose a stone and trying to understand why alot of woman are eating so low to loose weight.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

This is my calorie intake per day before joining here. I want to loose a stone and trying to understand why alot of woman are eating so low to loose weight.

So if you are maintaining your current weight on 2800 cal/day and you want to lose 14lb. Start by taking 250 cal/day off of that. That will give you a loss of 0.5lb/week, which is appropriate if you only have the 14lb to lose. After several weeks and at least one cycle (women stuff), re-evaluate. If you are losing at the expected rate, great! If not, lower it a little more. If you are losing too fast, increase it. The reason for giving it several weeks is because weight will fluctuate daily, you want to give it enough time to see the overall trend to make sure it is working.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Were you accurately tracking your intake to arrive at your current estimate of 2800 cals/day? And were you maintaining at that level, or gaining? At 5'1, that's pretty high, I'm only an inch taller and am maintaining at ~2200, and even that is higher than a lot of women.

If you put in your stats and a calorie goal, with only a stone to lose, you should opt for 0.5 lb/week weight loss. That should give you a calorie goal of 250 cals under your non exercise maintenance estimate from MFP. If you log your intake accurately, and when you exercise you eat back a portion of those calories, then you should lose at the predicted rate.

A lot of people look for the fastest weight loss possible, select a goal of 2 lbs/ week and are set at a goal of 1200 cals. They may also not realize they should be eating back some exercise calories, or they are trying to speed up the weight loss even further.

• nutmegoreo
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Were you accurately tracking your intake to arrive at your current estimate of 2800 cals/day? And were you maintaining at that level, or gaining? At 5'1, that's pretty high, I'm only an inch taller and am maintaining at ~2200, and even that is higher than a lot of women.

If you put in your stats and a calorie goal, with only a stone to lose, you should opt for 0.5 lb/week weight loss. That should give you a calorie goal of 250 cals under your non exercise maintenance estimate from MFP. If you log your intake accurately, and when you exercise you eat back a portion of those calories, then you should lose at the predicted rate.

A lot of people look for the fastest weight loss possible, select a goal of 2 lbs/ week and are set at a goal of 1200 cals. They may also not realize they should be eating back some exercise calories, or they are trying to speed up the weight loss even further.

I was wondering this too. It's not often we see overestimates on calories in, but it does happen.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »
    Cutting around 2000-2200. Maintain around 2400.

@IGbnat24 if you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and what are your stats? Also, are those #'s before or after eating back exercise cals? P.S. Abs ON POINT!! :flowerforyou:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

1200 is a DEFAULT minimum (before exercise). Lots of women get "assigned" that number because they set an aggressive weekly goal, or they are seniors and/or very petite.

Set a sensible weekly goal:
    Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

Then eat 50% of exercise calories back. If you are losing too slow, eat less. If you are losing faster than expected eat more.

If you don't like logging exercise, then use a TDEE calculator and take a cut (small, medium, or large).....use pounds per week chart as a guide.
  • omima07
    omima07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Averaging at 1400 a day
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    So dependent on activity level and body comp! I maintain at 2650 and cut at 2100.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800. My TDEE is between 2000 and 2300 a day depending on my exercising.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Around 2300 for me in deficit. Maintenance is around 3100 depending on the day.

I eat anywhere from 1900 to 2500 a day, again depending on the day.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    1370-1500 calories a day. I'm 5'5'' and 209 lbs. I've been losing when eating that much
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I eat 1100-1200 a day on average. I am 5'4" and 119lbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

How many calories does MFP give you when you tell it you want to lose 0.5 pound per week? (Since you only want to lose 14 pounds, this should be your weekly weight loss goal.)
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    @branflakes1980 I'm 5'4, 130.I eat the same everyday regardless of exercise. Unless I'm starving --in which case I eat everything in the house