Body Fat Plateau. Help!

Options

Replies

• MarcLevetti
    MarcLevetti Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    fernadele313 I think you're aboslutely goergeous and really fit, but if you want your lower body to also have more definition you can life more and lower your carb intake while also doing more cardio that will burn some of your body fat percentage and take more protein throughout that day to help you get what you want !

Marc Levetti

[edited by MFP Moderator]
  • fernadele313
    fernadele313 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Your body is absolutely gorgeous. Eat and lift in maintenance. You'll lose a little fat and gain a little muscle. Or focus on performance goals because to me your body is perfect.

This. Very Much this.

You look great. I would just do like they said Eat and lift in maintenance.

Thank you. That's very kind. I am trying to just focus on how good I feel after working out, the rush of endorphins. I'm prone to depression and the effect on my mood is always my main motivation.

I guess it's easy to get caught up in the aesthetics though

Oh I understand that. I right now am up 3% body fat from what I was last time I was this weight prior to pregnancy. It seems you are comfortable weight wise so no reason to worry about the scale just go to the gym, enjoy your workout, and feel great after you are done.

I don't see skinny fat at all.

I think it might be worth taking those home scales with a pinch of salt. I've just read they can be off by 3%...?

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    @haywood_m for what reasons do you recommend to drink 3L of water a day? I probably more or less do anyway but still, just curious to know why so much?
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »
    Thank you for replying. I've had a feeling I haven't been eating enough, especially post workout.

I don't feel I look 25% body fat around my mid section. I must carry it lower body! 4w43unnjayys.jpeg

You really don't need to worry about weight loss if I'm being honest.

But I am technically skinny fat, right?

You're not skinny fat, you can see that clearly in your photo. Body fat scales are absolutely trash and regularly cause problems like this, where people think they're not making progress (but they are), or where people think they are making progress (but they're not).

So in short, throw out your scale :)
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Your body is absolutely gorgeous. Eat and lift in maintenance. You'll lose a little fat and gain a little muscle. Or focus on performance goals because to me your body is perfect.

This. Very Much this.

Thank you. That's very kind. I am trying to just focus on how good I feel after working out, the rush of endorphins. I'm prone to depression and the effect on my mood is always my main motivation.

Oh I understand that. I right now am up 3% body fat from what I was last time I was this weight prior to pregnancy. It seems you are comfortable weight wise so no reason to worry about the scale just go to the gym, enjoy your workout, and feel great after you are done.

I think it might be worth taking those home scales with a pinch of salt. I've just read they can be off by 3%...?

Oh nah in my case it is calipers and various other messurement methods. All the same method I used before. I just had a pregnancy and couldn't lift in the 18 month gap in pictures. lol so being up fat and yet being the same weight is completely realistic.
  • fernadele313
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    Thank you for replying. I've had a feeling I haven't been eating enough, especially post workout.

I don't feel I look 25% body fat around my mid section. I must carry it lower body! 4w43unnjayys.jpeg

You're not skinny fat, you can see that clearly in your photo. Body fat scales are absolutely trash and regularly cause problems like this, where people think they're not making progress (but they are), or where people think they are making progress (but they're not).

So in short, throw out your scale :)

I might just have to! I think it's less demoralising to just go by how my clothes fit!
  • fernadele313
    Options

This. Very Much this.

Oh nah in my case it is calipers and various other messurement methods. All the same method I used before. I just had a pregnancy and couldn't lift in the 18 month gap in pictures. lol so being up fat and yet being the same weight is completely realistic.

This. Very Much this.

Well judging by your profile pic you carry it well. Good waist to hip ratio!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Thank you! It took a lot for me to post that and I've been putting off going to the gym for too long.

I think my body is telling me to eat more as I'm struggling with tiredness most days. Also I usually workout after my son has gone to sleep in the evening. Would it be more beneficial to switch it to the afternoon?

It would be more beneficial for you to eat.
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Good grief your body is perfect! You absolutely are not skinny fat. You are slender and toned with curves in the right places. I'd up your cals slowly if you're getting tired, and maybe lift heavy and eat at maintenance as suggested - it does wonders for body image and gradual body composition change (not that you need it!)
  • dlbush85
    dlbush85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't fixate so much on numbers. Do you like the way you look? If so, keep doing what you're doing. If not, read some of the many posts on this forum to specifically address what you believe to be your problem areas. What does it mean to you to be 25% body fat? It is a perfectly healthy level of body fat. Is it competition level? No. Does it look attractive on most women? Yes. Do I think you are 25% body fat? I could believe it. In fact, I think it could be higher than 25% based on the one photo you posted. Do I think your physique looks attractive? Of course. Make of the number what you want, but ultimately you want to like the way you look in a mirror, no?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Why would you think that 25% bf is skinny fat?
  • fernadele313
    Options
    dlbush85 wrote: »
    Don't fixate so much on numbers. Do you like the way you look? If so, keep doing what you're doing. If not, read some of the many posts on this forum to specifically address what you believe to be your problem areas. What does it mean to you to be 25% body fat? It is a perfectly healthy level of body fat. Is it competition level? No. Does it look attractive on most women? Yes. Do I think you are 25% body fat? I could believe it. In fact, I think it could be higher than 25% based on the one photo you posted. Do I think your physique looks attractive? Of course. Make of the number what you want, but ultimately you want to like the way you look in a mirror, no?

Thank you for reply. I'm not striving for competition level body fat. I respect the discipline it takes for women to reach that level but I would personally prefer to look lean but curvy.

The general consensus I get from the Internet on most fitness sites is that 25% body fat on a woman is acceptable but not "fit"
  • fernadele313
    Options
    Good grief your body is perfect! You absolutely are not skinny fat. You are slender and toned with curves in the right places. I'd up your cals slowly if you're getting tired, and maybe lift heavy and eat at maintenance as suggested - it does wonders for body image and gradual body composition change (not that you need it!)

Thank you
  • haywood_m
    haywood_m Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    @haywood_m for what reasons do you recommend to drink 3L of water a day? I probably more or less do anyway but still, just curious to know why so much?

Hi Sara. Its actually not that much when you are awake for 16 hours per day. When you exercise and recover you need hydration so the red blood cells work to their full potential and they oxygenate the muscles. I break my water down into a minimum of 6 half litre catagories every 2 1/2 hours. 2 drinks of lemon water(one as soon as I wake up). 2 drinks of green tea. 1 special drink of green tea, tsp of cinnamon, pinch of kayenne pepper, tea spoon of cranberry and lemon juice and the last half litre in the gym. When I'm hungry.... i drink water first. When I'm tired I drink water...stressed yep, water. I have to also add at this point that there are more trips to the bathroom but it's worth it. Water also surpresses addictive cravings for caffeine so water first, coffee later. Water also keeps you alert and the brain working properly and your kidneys and liver cleansed.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    You look awesome. I would agree with eating at maintenance and adding heavy lifting in addition to the HIIT.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options

No, you are not technically skinny fat. You BF% is likely not 25% either. I concur that you look great. I would suggest find your maintenance calories (that may take a while) and eat at that and do some sort of weight training program. That will keep the muscle, build a little, and get rid of fat.
  • Jburlen2007
    Jburlen2007 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    No one way to do it, each person is different. Just keep up the good work and your body will do all the work. Besides, you look to be in good shape anyways.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options

You mean lower body, as in lower than what is in this camera angle? You look great, you actually don't look like you need to lose any more fat. I'd consider upping your calories tho, I'm eating much more than you (1500-1900 almost every day) and still losing weight. You may be losing more muscle in your efforts than you're meaning to!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options

No, you're not any kind of fat, not fat fat, not skinny fat, no kind of fat. Where do you see fat?
  • fernadele313
    Options

You mean lower body, as in lower than what is in this camera angle? You look great, you actually don't look like you need to lose any more fat. I'd consider upping your calories tho, I'm eating much more than you (1500-1900 almost every day) and still losing weight. You may be losing more muscle in your efforts than you're meaning to!

Thank you. I actually increased my calories today and this afternoon's workout felt sooo much easier! I think I've been burning myself out recently.