Run/walk intervals – it doesn’t have to end with C25K

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
From today's blog:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/run-walk-intervals-from-c25k-to-marathon-117585

So you’ve finished C25K and can run for half an hour. Congratulations! Time to enter a race and show off all your hard work. But after that, what?

Try and beat your personal best? Go for longer distances? Maybe a marathon?

I have a real problem with running for a long time. To complete the increasing training distances I just get slower… and slower... I get more and more miserable with every long run, get injured, feel an obligation to complete the race and do it regardless, trudging along lethargically and getting a time I’m embarrassed to tell people.

Running’s a sport, hobby, or pastime and we’re supposed to enjoy those, right? It’s not a torture designed to burn enough calories to eat a proper dinner.

What if there was a way to keep up that C25K feeling of achieving more and more, yet stay enthused, uninjured and have that feeling of going on forever?

There is, just return to the run/walk intervals that got you through C25K and keep it going at a rate that suits your running speed!

What’s even better is you stand a very good chance indeed of finishing a longer race much faster than you would if you’d attempted to run it all.

Don’t believe me? Friends have knocked half an hour off their Marathon times with this method.

The biggest proponent of the run/walk method is running coach Jeff Galloway. He’s seen even super-fast 3-hour marathoners getting faster using his method.

In summary you must take walking breaks regularly, take them often, and take them right from the start of the race or training session.

We’re not talking breaks after half an hour, or when you get so tired you can only walk. We’re talking as often as every minute, or even more often if you’re just setting out. Here are Galloway’s ratios, based on your training minutes-per-mile:

Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the training pace used:
8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
10 min/mi—-3:1
11 min/mi—2:30-1
12 min/mi—-2:1
13 min/mi—-1:1
14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec

I’m starting my training for a half marathon next week. Am I going to use this method? You betcha! I’m a 12-minute mile girl, so I’ll be doing run2/walk 1. I feel like I could go forever with my regular walk breaks!

I intend to stick to running constantly through mid-week session of less than 40 minutes.

Please do check out Galloway’s site. There are training programmes from 5K to a full Marathon that anyone can do.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/

If you’re a run/walker or if you’re planning to give it a go, get in touch, I’d love to compare notes!

Replies

• inafit16177
    Options
    I am training for a half marathon in September...as my longer runs get longgggerrrr, I am struggling....Thinking tomorrow I will try this out!
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    bump
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    its called fartlek training
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am going to begin training using the Galloway method on July 1. I am returning from a tibial stress fracture, so I am hoping for the best. I got his book "Half Marathon - You can do it!" and I am so fired up about getting it going!
  • BerryH
    Options
    its called fartlek training
    Not quite. Fartlek, which means "speed play" in Swedish, allows you to vary your running/walking as you want, whether it be by time, how you feel or to the next lamppost etc.

Mr Galloway's method sticks to a set time and suggests you use it right from the start to ensure you can keep it up for the entire session.
  • BerryH
    Options
    I am training for a half marathon in September...as my longer runs get longgggerrrr, I am struggling....Thinking tomorrow I will try this out!
    I had a go before but I thought I knew better than Mr Galloway (duh!) and made up my own intervals. Despite the fact they sounded way too short, I tried out my recommended 2:1 ratio last night and it was a revelation!
  • Jillong
    Jillong Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sofitness
    Sofitness Posts: 54
    Options
    bump
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing the Hal Higdon for training for my first HM in August and while Ive managed to increase my distance at the rate he recommends, my pace is definately slowing - Im not sure what to do now, keep with that program or try this?