Eggs or oatmeal

Options
What is healthier the eggs or a good bowl of oatmeal

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Whichever one fits into your goals better for the day.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    They're both good for different reasons. Hard to pick one or the other.
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    How about a bowl of oatmeal with an over-easy egg over it? Spiced with sriracha or other hot sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic. Now that sounds like a breakfast.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    We go out for breakfast most mornings and i get 2 eggs and toast with no butter but sometimes i get grits and 2 slices of bacon, but i know the eggs are high in protoen but how good is oatmeal with toast for protien and that is if there oatmeal is without added sugar
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I put a runny egg on top of my oatmeal with a little bacon crumbled on top and a good bit of black pepper. Sometimes I skip the bacon.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Last week I made a bowl of oatmeal and mixed in spinach, peas, mushrooms, a little parmesan cheese, and then topped it with an over easy egg. It was outstanding!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    chulipa wrote: »
    We go out for breakfast most mornings and i get 2 eggs and toast with no butter but sometimes i get grits and 2 slices of bacon, but i know the eggs are high in protoen but how good is oatmeal with toast for protien and that is if there oatmeal is without added sugar

Depends on how you make the oatmeal. I make my oats with protein powder so it ends up being more protein than eggs. But in the grand scheme of things they are both good breakfasts.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.

Eggs personally keep me fuller longer than oatmeal.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Why not both!? I love making steelcut oats, and in the last ~ 3 minutes of cooking I carefully break in an egg. I also add any leftover veggies I have from the previous night and a heaping teaspoon of sambal oelek (a spicy chili sauce). SO delicious and hearty. A little avocado sends it into sublime territory.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

For one thing, you have to look at your diet as a whole...both are healthful choices in their own right, but provide different nutrition...again, diet as a whole, not individual foods.

I often have both.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

If you just buy regular oats, there is no added sugar...just oats...they are a whole grain food. If you're buying the little instant cups and whatnot, that's where you have added sugar.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Both are healthy in there own ways, like everyone has stated. But i think when it comes to people and the types of oatmeals they buy, eggs are by far the healthier choice.

I personally can't stand the steelcut oats, i just can't do it. I do enjoy Quaker oats (the strawberry kind) but lets face it, that isn't obviously a very good brand when it comes to oatmeal. :p
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Oatmeal isn't that high in protein, so I make it with milk instead of water. Some people stir in protein powder.

Stirring in chopped nuts or nut butter (healthy fat) will also add to oatmeals staying power.

Oatmeal with toast? That would be my last choice.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i, too, make oats with milk. today i had a small bowl of oats with a couple egg whites for the best of both worlds.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options

They are both healthy for you. Have one portion of each or choose. I like to add vegies to my egg to make a sort of omelette or with my oatmeal I add in a tablespoon of peanut butter or some fruit. But sometimes I just have one plain egg and a portion of oatmeal. Egg is protein and the oatmeal gives you fiber and carbs.