Options
13»

Replies

• GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Why would you guys get offended? It's not like they're critiquing your food they're just watching how much they eat but it would be weird when someone breaks out a scale

Maybe offended isn't the right word. Annoyed would be a better description. I'd be annoyed that I had a friend who couldn't google "serving size chart" and look for visual cues and who was so tied to her scale that she had never actually paid attention to how big/small her serving sizes were.

If I'm serving a sit down dinner to guests, I don't want to see a digital kitchen scale sitting on the table. Oooh, everybody move your dishes over so Susie can have room to zero out her scale and weigh her couscous. And I don't want somebody futzing around in my kitchen digging their servings out of my pots and pans while I try to get things into serving dishes. It's annoying and weird and generally smacks of being a PITA guest.

I get the desire to stay within calories and I understand that it can be a bit scary to go off the path once in awhile but one meal with a 10-20% variance isn't going to kill an overall on-the-point weight loss effort.

I completely agree. Also, if it's only two weeks and you don't feel comfortable with your ability to plan and estimate you can decline the invite. Or talk to your friend in advance about what is on the menu so you can plan accordingly. When you are following a strict food plan there will be times that you have to decline invites to eat out.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Hell no.
  • RYANCAIRNS2011
    RYANCAIRNS2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No need. Just use them every monday morning when u wake up. Something scales make u feel bad if u dnt lose so try and go but the mirror.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    No need. Just use them every monday morning when u wake up. Something scales make u feel bad if u dnt lose so try and go but the mirror.

The question was regarding food scales, not bodyweight scales.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Yes, I have no shame. And yes, I've been told doing so means I have disordered eating.

You don't have to. If you're comfortable whipping it out at the dinner table, do it, otherwise don't. For me, a food scale is a priority tool that helped me lose my weight.

This. I have a small one for my purse (smaller than many phones) & 2 at my house. And I don't envision a future for myself where I will ever be able to eat by eyeballing my portions.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no.
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Yes, I have no shame. And yes, I've been told doing so means I have disordered eating.

You don't have to. If you're comfortable whipping it out at the dinner table, do it, otherwise don't. For me, a food scale is a priority tool that helped me lose my weight.

This. I have a small one for my purse (smaller than many phones) & 2 at my house. And I don't envision a future for myself where I will ever be able to eat by eyeballing my portions.

Sure you can!!! That should be your goal. It takes some time, but I guarantee you can do it.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would not take a food scale out to dinner. To me, that's just overkill, its really not necessary for my (and I'd be bold enough to say almost anyone's) longterm health. It's also not really going to help, because as I didn't cook the food, I can only take a guess at the nutritional info even if I have a scale.
    I would still log my meal, but I'd take a guess at the cals and enter something generic that gives me a feel for how the overall day looks.

However, if a guest in my house pulled out their scale, or used mine, to weigh their food I wouldn't be offended.
    I'd be a bit bemused (see above) but in most cases (assuming no known eating disorders) I'd be happy to know that they were taking control of what they are eating and of their health.