unhealthy?

Options
j99li
j99li Posts: 421 Member
Hi everyone,

I weigh myself every morning at fairly consistent times (7:30-8:00). I always weigh myself after using the washroom and only in my underwear. Sometimes I weigh myself after a shower, other times I weigh myself before.

However, when I weighed myself yesterday morning, I dropped 2 lbs, this morning, I furtherly dropped 3 more.

Is this healthy? Or is this now just a random figure?

Thanks!

Replies

• Psialpha297
    Psialpha297 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I dont think its unhealthy. Its probably just a lot of water weight. Im not saying you didnt lose any weight for your first weigh in, but you cant drop three pounds of fat in one day. So you might not have eaten as much, or not had a huge amount of water the day before.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates so much you really should only weigh yourself once a week at most. I only weigh about once a month.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This happend to me a few weeks ago. I lost almost 4lbs in a matter of a few days! I wasn't doing anything different and I'm back to my 1-2 lbs a week but hey, doesn't bother me it's a few lbs lost!

I officially weigh in Friday mornings, exactly as you do in my undies after using the washroom, but I also check a couple other mornings a week to see how I'm doing.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    What the others said i believe, I try to only weigh myself once a week or once every two week avoiding the week of that time of the month as you tend to hold more water. I wouldnt freak, two days ago i weighed myself i was up 3lbs, this morning i was back down to what i was a week ago..
  • SkylinePigeon9797
    Options
    I would also recommend one "official" weigh-in a week. This stuff fluctuates.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    if you are going to weigh yourself every day and mulitple times a day, you have to be prepared to see some odd numbers. I have always weighed daily and when I am fixated I weigh more than that. The only way it is a problem is if you find yourself changing your behavior because of the scale. If the number goes up and you get depressed and say "screw it"and overeat or if the number drops like yours did and you decide to eat less and less. I have been up and down all week but only up by .2 tenths of a pound at a time. I have to tell myself "oh well" and keep moving forward.

3lbs in one day is water, poo or whatever. You can weigh daily but you have to look at the weekly, monthly trend for your true weight.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    They tell people not to weigh everyday - but I did and found over time that the body does weird things. If this remains the norm of losing like this daily - yes, this is unhealthy - but you may find in a few days you will gain this back or part of it. Don't get depressed with it. As the body makes its changes you will see the scales stand still and clothes fall off. The body is a very unique and everyone's different - so just keep an eye and a record book of your weigh-ins. If this does continue you can print out your menus and take your little notebook with you to talk to a physician. Otherwise, you will see in black & white a pattern in your loss and enjoy the life changes! Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. A recent study indicated that those that weigh themself more often tend to manage and maintain weight better. I think the challenge is to not obsess over the minor daily changes. Weigh you self once at the same time everyday.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Weighting daily can be discouraging because your weight can fluctuate. I only weight weekly. I would imaging you had some water weight.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and log it at skinnyr.com to satisfy my curiosity and learn how habits may or may not affect weight. But here on MFP I only log my "lowests". It varies wildly from day to day. The overall, long-term, downward trend is what counts. :smile:
  • j99li
    j99li Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for the great advice. I cant seem to not be on the scale though. I could be more paranoid than others as I dont always get to have the healthiest options for food so I am worried about the changes. However, I dont want to lose weight the unhealthy way also.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You're also on your first month here, so you'll have some higher losses in this first month. The first week to 10 days always shows the biggest loss, since it is indeed 'water weight'. It will slow down as time proceeds.

I also weigh myself daily (I'm kind of neurotic), however, I only log my weight on MFP on Saturdays. My daily weigh-ins are just to keep tabs on myself and to help stay on track.