Anyone from the Pacific Islands...Fiji.. Samoa..etc?

Options
Hiiii... been on MFP awhile and find it difficult at times to log our traditional food...like Lovo (Umu... Hangi) palusami kokoda poke etc... and have no idea about the calorie or nutrition content...anyone else in same boat?? ... feel free to add for the additional support and a little nudge every once in awhile.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Is your mom making it? Can you ask her how it's made? Oil added?
    Store bought stuff can be complete garbage.
    I bought hummus one time with the first ingredient as soybean oil.
  • Preciousreshus
    Preciousreshus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response... its not just one food...its our culture and all that goes with it... most members here are American and Westerners and I am finding it difficult log Pacific Island food... Lovo instance is a way of cooking food on hot rocks covered in earth... it can have chicken lamb pork beef along with root crops like Taro, Cassava, Colocasia leaves in Coconut milk etc. ..hehehe... just wishing there were more Islanders that log similar foods.. So far... found none..
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Use the USDA website to find the calories in each ingredient https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods i.e. taro and cassava are both in there, and then add oils, spices etc. You may just have to think like a westerner to find some things :smile:

Cooking in hangi etc doesn't add any additional calories than cooking in an oven, it's all about the ingredients. Main thing is to know what is going in to each dish, and how much of each item. e.g. making rukau, weigh out the taro leaves, onions if you use them, measure out the coconut cream etc use the recipe builder to put them together. Just don't forget oils etc cause they add heaps of calories.

Kia Ora from NZ.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    As stated above just use the recipe builder and/or approximate. Our diet is filled with foods from our travels...I could easily have fragment and spicy eggplant from Sichuan one day, tuna poke with taro chips the next...or a Balinese pork dish. You'd be amazed at what ingredients are on here. I've never really had issues...,it just takes time.
  • Preciousreshus
    Preciousreshus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!! The website is most helpful..I guess I need to start creating my foods on MFP.. Was hoping there were more members on MFP on the same boat.. Cheers