3500??? Where Did That Number Originate?

Options
BigBoneSista
BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
So in my quest to find out more health related info in terms of food consumption, exercise and the effects thereof I came across this video so now it has me wanting to do even more research on the topic they are discussing. Just something to make you go hmmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UndergroundWellness#p/u/43/djGCQ9b7mHo

Replies

• NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Just had a listen..it does make ya go hmmm..interesting for sure.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I can't listen at work, can you give a quick précis about what the 3500 is about, please?
  • DoctorWhoFan
    Options
    Very interesting, I've often wondered that...great link.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I can't listen at work, can you give a quick précis about what the 3500 is about, please?
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    you know, i wondered that the last couple weeks. and i thought it might actually vary per person because of my lack of loss and others giant losses.

thank you for that link.
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Fot those of you that can't listen to this until later its a radio interview with Zoe Harcombe http://www.zoeharcombe.com/. She questions the calorie in calorie out formula for losing weight. She is saying that there is very little research that to lose a pound of fat you need to create a deficit of 3500 calories. I have to say I tend to agree with her to a point! I don't think that our bodies are that prescriptive and I believe much of it is around the quality of food!

She has her own diet The Harcombe Diet - which I haven't come across.

Its an interesting interview - worth a listen!
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Ive always had my suspicions about this too.
  • charliebird
    Options
    This also is quite an interesting read.
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz-and-lifestyle/health-and-beauty-in-wales/2010/10/05/healthy-eating-according-to-zoe-harcombe-91466-27400240/

I have long since felt that the "trick" to weight loss is all about getting the nutients that our body actually needs - I think sometimes my "food cravings" are down to my body saying I need something - and its just I don't know what I want so I overeat the wrong things.

However, I still feel that activity is essential! I think my obsity problem is down to too much processed food and too little activity!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Thanks Charliebird for the added info.
  • broxi1979
    broxi1979 Posts: 30
    Options
    I don't subscribe to the calories in calories out theory. Load of crap in my opinion, if it was true then if you took 10 seperate adults and gave them the exact same diet and training regime, they would lose or gain the exact same amount of weight.

I think we all know that this isn't the case, it has a lot to do with your own body and how it processes the types of food you consume and your typical lifestyle. As always, choose your food by nutrient density, employ good training discipline and you will see substantial gains quickly.

The current epidemic of obesity in the western (and also now eastern) world is down to 4 factors in my mind.

1. Sedentry modern living (office work, cars, TVs, etc)
    2. The food industry (cheap & easy access to horrible, overly-processed unnatural foods namely HFCS)
    3. Lack of clear information (conflicting advice & plain wrong information being taught)
    4. Apathy of the individual

There is a wealth of information on the foods we need to eat for proper nutrition on this forum, the training side is pretty basic and only requires your own effort.
  • charliebird
    Options
    IThe current epidemic of obesity in the western (and also now eastern) world is down to 4 factors in my mind.

1. Sedentry modern living (office work, cars, TVs, etc)
    2. The food industry (cheap & easy access to horrible, overly-processed unnatural foods namely HFCS)
    3. Lack of clear information (conflicting advice & plain wrong information being taught)
    4. Apathy of the individual

Agreed!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I nicked the below from Lyle McDonald's excellent breakdown of the Energy Balance Equation.

link: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next wrench that throws people into confusion about the energy balance equation has to do with the difference in gaining or losing fat and muscle. We’ve all heard for decades that if you create a 3,500 cal/week deficit, you will lose one pound and this is what people expect to happen exactly without fail, and if it doesn’t, clearly the energy balance equation is invalid.
    Did you ever wonder where that value of 3,500 cal per pound comes from?

Quoting from The Stubborn Fat Solution:

"WAT in humans is composed primarily (anywhere from 80 to 95%) of lipid. By lipid, I mean stored triglycerides (TG) which are simply a glycerol molecule bound to three free fatty acid (FFA) chains. The remaining part of the fat cell is comprised of a little bit of water as well as all of the cellular machinery needed to produce the various enzymes, proteins, and products that fat cells need to do their duty. As it’s turning out, fat cells produce quite a bit of stuff, some good, some bad, that affects your overall metabolism. For the record, one pound of fat is 454 grams and let’s assume 90% lipid on average. So about 400 or so grams are actual stored TG. When burned by the body, one gram of fat provides 9 calories so 400 grams of fat contains about 3600 calories of stored energy. Now you know where the old axiom of ~3,500 calories to lose a pound of fat comes from."

Note: WAT = white adipose tissue, the primary type of fat in the human body.

So there ya’ go, create a 3,500 cal/week deficit and you should lose one pound of fat, right? Again, wrong. There is a built in assumption in the above that turns out to not be necessarily correct but also throws a wrench into expectations about the energy balance equation. That assumption is that 100% fat is being lost when a deficit is created. Now, if you diet correctly (e.g. the way I describe in my books), this is a pretty good assumption but it’s not universally true. Often people also lose muscle and connective tissue on a diet. And the issue is that muscle and connective tissue doesn’t provide as much energy to the body as a pound of fat. Rather than 3,500 calories to break down a pound of fat, a pound of muscle provides about 600 calories to the body when it’s broken down for energy.

Let me put this in mathematical terms, to show you how the identical 3,500 calorie/week deficit can yield drastically different changes in body mass depending on what percentage of tissue you’re losing. I’m going to use the extremes of 100% fat, 50/50 fat and muscle, and 100% muscle.

Condition Energy Yield Total Weight Lost
    100% Fat 3500 cal/lb 1 pound
    50%Fat/50% Muscle 2050 cal/lb 1.7 pounds
    100% Muscle 600 cal/lb 5.8 pounds

See what’s going on? The assumption of one pound per week (3,500 cal/week deficit) is only valid for the condition where you lose 100% fat. If you lose 50% fat and 50% muscle, you will lose 1.7 pounds in a week for the same 3,500 calorie deficit. Lose 100% muscle (this never happens, mind you, it’s just for illustration) and you lose 5.8 pounds per week.

I’d note that I suspect this is why many rapid weight loss centers advise against exercise: exercise limits muscle loss on a diet and the simple fact is that you will lose MORE TOTAL WEIGHT faster if you lose muscle.

Finally, I’d note that most obesity researchers assume a loss for obese individuals of roughly 25% lean body mass and 75% fat which would put the true expected weight loss somewhere between the 1 lb/week and 1.7 pounds per week. But I don’t feel like doing the math.

I should note that the above numbers aren’t the same as for weight gain but there are differences in the amount of energy required to store one pound of muscle vs. one pound of fat. So there are still differences and this means that the predicted weight gain and actual weigh gain won’t be identical; the math just isn’t quite the same as what I presented above.
    But the critics say, it still never works out that way. Even if you account for water and the above, the math still never works out. The calorie hypothesis is still incorrect.
    But they always seem to steadfastly ignore the final factor.

The Energy Balance Equation Isn’t Static

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    As Dr. Phil would say, "I have no dog in this hunt", because this Zoe Harcombe subscribes to a number of theories which I don't believe, starting with the belief that everyone is being silently ravaged by candidiasis, and it's conceivable to lose up to 15 pounds in a week on her low carb diet, and that you shouldn't have meals that mix carbs and fats, etc. So, bottom line, after reading just a little about her dietary beliefs, she's lost me completely for any good ideas that she *may* espouse. But she's got a book to sell, and a diet website to gain subscribers to, and she's gotta make a living. Your youtube video is never going to go viral espousing healthy eating habits and exercise, so the best way to get publicity is to claim that you are the ONLY person in the world who seems to know some great secret about dieting.

As individuals vary, so do their caloric needs, metabolic rates, energy requirements, etc. I bought a dozen eggs yesterday and the total carton weighs 24 ounces, just as advertised. That means every egg should weigh 2 ounces..........well, they don't........but I"m not going to throw out the whole carton just because the individual eggs are varying between 1.9 ounces and 2.3!

Here is a good explanation of the generalities behind the 3500 calorie per pound issue and I think it's well written and easily readable. Just something more to "think about".
    http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2011/01/countering-anti-energy-balance-calories.html

Just wanted to add that Zoe Harcombe also conveniently seems to ignore the fact that a pound lost is NOT 100% fat, and that the body is composed of many things other than fat and muscle.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    "For the record, one pound of fat is 454 grams and let’s assume 90% lipid on average. So about 400 or so grams is actual stored TG. When burned by the body, one gram of fat provides 9 calories so 400 grams of fat contains about 3600 calories of stored energy. Now you know where the old axiom of ~3,500 calories to lose a pound of fat comes from."

-http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/what-is-body-fat.html

That woman is crazy if she thinks the estimated 3,500 calories = 1 pound of fat is not true. It's based on the energy constant of fat properties.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

cool profile pic. i've always wanted a framed copy of that one