Best food scale for price?

Options
What is the best type of food scale for a reasonable price?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Most food scales are under $20. You definitely want a digital scale that weighs in grams and has a tare function.

I've seen this one recommended on MFP (currently $11.26):
    http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1459817424&sr=1-2&keywords=ozeri

I actually have a $20 scale made by them that I love.
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I have that one does the job just fine.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Ozeri food scale also. I figured I couldn't beat $12. :) I love it since the unit button is on the top. My old scale it would default to ounces and if I needed grams, I had to press a button on the bottom. It was rather annoying.
  • Sindakhelekwen
    Sindakhelekwen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a Kamenstien one that I bought from Costco a while back but I'm not sure they have them anymore and I don't remember the price but it was under $20.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor scale at Target $20. It's basic and works for me.
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Starfrit I just bought is pretty awesome.
  • NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I got a digital scale from WalMart for $10 and it works great.
  • laurelh8
    laurelh8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Is there any scale that doesn't go off after what seems like 10 seconds of being inactive? That battery saving feature annoys the heck out of me. I feel so rushed.

Is there a wall plug in scale that has a manual on/off button?
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Is there any scale that doesn't go off after what seems like 10 seconds of being inactive? That battery saving feature annoys the heck out of me. I feel so rushed.

I now have two scales (in the home stretch I've needed to start weighing things at the office too). The first at this link I bought 18 months ago. It will stay on for 3 minutes before going dark. Thats always been enough time for me to add ingredients.

I also have the Ozeri mentioned above. It works just fine, but given that I have both to compare, the EatSmart is more durable, the Ozeri noticeably more flimsy. The EatSmart stays on longer between activity. Both will get the job done though.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

I now have two scales (in the home stretch I've needed to start weighing things at the office too). The first at this link I bought 18 months ago. It will stay on for 3 minutes before going dark. Thats always been enough time for me to add ingredients.

I also have the Ozeri mentioned above. It works just fine, but given that I have both to compare, the EatSmart is more durable, the Ozeri noticeably more flimsy. The EatSmart stays on longer between activity. Both will get the job done though.

Awesome. Thanks. I can go with 3 minutes.

I've bookmarked it for my next Amazon shopping. :)
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have the $12 Ozeri as well & I like it. I also have a Weighmaster's Pro-Chef that is about the same. Now I'm looking at an actual postage scale instead: http://www.amazon.com/Accuteck-All-In-One-Digital-Shipping-W-8250-50B/dp/B00U667TV6/ref=pd_sbs_229_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41+BP2wzx-L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0R1EF9DG4GHAGD9D5MPX .

I like to enter my recipes in the recipe builder, weight the entire thing & divide it into 100g portions to get the calorie information. I have a chart with the gram weight of all my pots. The problem I'm having is that my kitchen scales both have an 11 lb limit. I have a large family. By the time I put some meat in my (heavy) crockpot, I've almost reached the weight limit of my scale. With the postage scale, I wouldn't have to worry about maxing out.