Stretch Marks

Options
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on stretch marks? When I gained the weight i did, it happened really quickly and I think thats the reason I have the stretch marks that I do. I have them really bad on my sides (like where my "love handles" are) and my inner thighs. They wouldnt be so bad if they werent as dark and big. Will these shink and get less noticable if/when I lose the fat in those areas or are they stuck looking like they do forever?

Thanks!

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    the color will fade eventually, but they will always be there. Don't waste money buying creams that promise to make them disappear, they won't work.

I hope some time in the future they find a way to make them go away!
  • cha36jennings
    cha36jennings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have them over my stomach, hips and arms :-(. I've had them for 14 years now (I'm 36). The colour does fade but the marks never disappear. Since losing weight I find I'm not that bothered about them anymore as they have faded quite a lot :-)
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    There's some sort of laser surgery to make them go away, but other than that you'll most likely always have them. The color def fades. They become less red and less noticeable.
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have them on my hips too, from my two pregnancies. I'm sorry but its not gonna go away. But most of us have it! So I wouldn't worry too much about it. "Change what you can change and make peace with what you can't". Good Luck on your jorney!
  • ACBrittany
    Options
    I've been using ScarGaurd it's actually for scars..i've only used it twice and already on my stretch marks they are raised up to my regular skin then it starts tightening it in :) I'm really happy so far with the results!
  • MirandaGoins
    Options
    They wont go away all together, but I find that the more i am in the sun "tanning" and such the color seems alot less noticeable.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i too have used scarguard... works really well. i think it depends on how deep and what kind of pigmentation has occured as to what results you get. but you can hardly see mine at all!
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks too and the marks themselves are lighter than the rest of my skin. When I lose weight and start to tone up, the marks themselves become much thinner and less noticeable. You probably won't get rid of them altogether but they do look much better once you stabilise your weight for a while and get fit and healthy.

Agree with Papillon22 that miracle creams don't really work. You should, however, keep your skin healthy and well-moisturised to keep it looking it's best. But don't spend a lot of money on creams :happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks from when I was pregnant. It's been 17 years and they're still there, but they definitely have faded A LOT.

Unfortunately, there isn't any "cure" for them short of plastic surgery, but you get used to them.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The redness will go but they will always be there. I got mine when I was 17 and now I am 37 and they are almost a golden/silvery colour. The skin is very thin though and breaks easily - I have them on my stomach.

I think that the creams *do* help if you spend time massaging them in because they just improve the skin condition overall. I used Bio-oil on mine and although I don't use it every day when I apply lotion to my legs I take care to use it on those areas too. Maybe it's the mechanical action of rubbing it in, massaging the tissue, who knows. It's also nice to just give yourself some TLC.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Okay, mine ARE still there. But I swear, the thinner and fitter I get, they are less noticeable. I think maybe 1 because they are less stretched out, and 2 the color has faded. I have them on back of legs, back of arms, some on love handles and lots on tummy from pregnancy. So, keep going for your goal, and I really think you'll notice one day that they look much better.
    :)
  • egroff
    egroff Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For those of you using ScarGuard, I am curious which one you are using?
  • maxinethestrange
    Options
    i swear by pamm coco butter , they do fade naturally but this has helped mine a lot , also fake tans or spray on tans hide it as well
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The specific creams dont work, but as you lose weight, you should moisturise, as this helps the elasticity of the skin. I use a very cheap one, and my littler stretch marks are getting even littler :)
  • anbuckmaster
    anbuckmaster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for posting on this. I guess I'm not really concerned if they go away or not, I would just like them to be less noticable and it seems like from what you all have said, if I start losing the weight they might shrink and wont look as bad. I'm not sure what changed but it seems like recently they all got really dark and noticable all of a sudden...maybe its just now that I'm wearing shorts and revealing more skin that I am just noticing them more than before. I guess this is a pretty good indicator of what my skin is going to be like when I have kids...:laugh:
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    my dermatologist gave me retin a cream and it worked wonders...they give it for acne and scars too but i was shocked it worked as well as it did..my stomach was zebra print after i had my daughter but now its pretty smooth and even colored.