How to win the war...:)

Options
WolffEarl
WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
So this is what happened. Somehow some ice cream bars made it into my house.. 'Caramel milk chocolate with almonds and praline pecans'. Now, this by itself until recently would have been quite sufficient to get me grabbing one or two or even three of them. But someone must have informed them that I had developed some backbone in the last little while, and would not be so easily defeated anymore. So the Bars, hoping for an easy win came back with the label "Blue Menu" and in large font: "Now, Reduced fat, 25% less Fat" (all capitalized no less). Surely any reasonable person would now grab a few. Furthermore, I still had about 700 calories to imbibe for the day, and each bar was only 220 so I could "safely" eat 3. So what could possibly be the harm, right?
Well, with this full onslaught against me, it was time to arm myself.
First weapon of choice: Read the label:11 g of fat (mostly saturated), 23 g of sugar, with a measly 1 g of fibre and 3 g of protein (although I was impressed with the bars not claiming to be: "Now protein enriched":)). Verdict. This bar is basically a clever mix of fat and sugar, coated in some chocolate to dull me from its reality.
Second weapon of choice: A cup of grapes, a handful of blue berries and raspberries brought into my home by my awesome wife.
Third weapon: Imagination. With it I visualized the 3 second pleasure of the taste on my tongue, followed by the lasting effects of spiking insulin, little globules of fat cruising through my arteries. After this the contest was over.
With those in hand, I was able to stare the bars in the eye and think: " Sorry mates, not today".. and I walked away... True story.
The point is? Never leave your home unarmed, you never know when the "enemy" is ready to pounce:)
Life is good.

Replies

• TanyaDL
    TanyaDL Posts: 54
    Options
    With your post, I feel like I have enough ammunition to take down and ignore those enemy foods!!!! Thanks a lot!
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    As long as I have healthy snacks around that I like, I don't have much of a problem.

But presentation is a problem for me. If it's sitting out on the counter, deliberately placed for easy access, I'm a sucker.

Thus-- being over at other peoples' houses can be a problem. Perhaps social isolation is the key :)
  • dgarblik
    dgarblik Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This was awesome to read! Thanks! It made me smile and nod in agreeance since I too have the same problem! Thanks again!
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Your insights are always so inspiring, interesting and practical! Thank you!
  • mike20603
    mike20603 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Amen, brother.
  • littlelaurabear
    Options
    well done! good attitude - hopefully it'll help me to soldier on too! x
  • tkdgirl23
    tkdgirl23 Posts: 36
    Options
    That was too funny!

At first I was like .. Ice cream..! I want some! ..LOL.. I love this post.. and your so right! arm yourself with the right mindset!

I'm on my way to the supermarket :tongue:

Nancy
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!