Calories vs Carbs/Fats

Options
So, most days i am eating well underneath my calories but i am eating things higher in carbs and fats. Which is more important to weight loss, the amount of calories in the food or the carb/fat amount in it?

Replies

• CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You really want to be trying to get as close to your calories as possible, at the very least getting a minimum of 1200/day. Aside from that, I think the general concensus around here is that protein > carbs, and while some carbs are neccesary for fueling your body (especially for excercise) if you're going to eat a lot of something, it's better to do protein. It helps you feel fuller longer.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I cut down my carbs and increased my fat, protein and veggies intake -- it has made a huge difference.
    I recommend doing a lot of research -- there are a lot of opinions and what works for me may not work for you.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    1) Calories for weight.
    2) Macronutrients for body composition (specifically high protein - 1g per pound lean body mass).
    3) Micronutrients for general health.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    1) Calories for weight.
    2) Macronutrients for body composition (specifically high protein - 1g per pound lean body mass).
    3) Micronutrients for general health.

So if you are getting the right amount for calories (my personal goal is to gain LBM with minimal bodyfat), and getting more than 1 gram per pound of protein, do you think it matters for body composition whether the other calories come from fat or carbs? Most of what I read says to take 1g per pound protein, about 20-30% of calories from fat and the rest from carbs. It's just a lot easier to eat fat when trying to take in a lot of calories.
  • prettyred420
    Options
    At this point im mainly just trying to lose weight and body mass.
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to the theory that any carb is processed by your body as sugar, creates a spike in your blood sugar that is quickly burned and leaves you hungry/craving more sugar in a very short period of time. So for me, I find that if I eat 1200 calories a day of a carb focused diet (even if it's so-called healthy carbs like whole grains, fruits, etc), I will be STARVING and find myself wanting to snack constantly. if I focus on eating protein, veggies, and healthy fats, I can live on 1200 and barely even need a snack and the weight comes off faster. So if i have a choice, I try to go for carb-free options. But if I'm going to eat carbs, I try to eat healthy ones and then have to watch my calories. Make sense?
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Calories are still king. Generally a reduction in carbs for many and increase in protein / fats produces a higher satiety factor - it's somewhat easier to feel more full on a higher protein meal. Make sense?
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    So if you are getting the right amount for calories (my personal goal is to gain LBM with minimal bodyfat), and getting more than 1 gram per pound of protein, do you think it matters for body composition whether the other calories come from fat or carbs? Most of what I read says to take 1g per pound protein, about 20-30% of calories from fat and the rest from carbs. It's just a lot easier to eat fat when trying to take in a lot of calories.
    It might matter based on some individuals, but there's no universal right. Some people may find they bulk better with higher amounts of fat, others with higher amounts of carbs. Both have their place: dietary fat plays a role in hormonal regulation, like for that of testosterone, and carbs have their role in muscle glycogen for higher performance or liver glycogen which is an anabolic pathway.

The *best* general answer I could give for a bulking diet would be: 1g per pound LBM protein, .5 - 1g per pound LBM dietary fat, the rest carbs.

So if you're 180 pounds with an LBM of 165 bulking at 2,700 calories:

165g protein (660 cal)
    80 - 165g fat (720 - 1485 cal)
    140 - 330g carbs (560 - 1320 cal)

You COULD up the protein a little if you like, but protein is less imperative on a bulk than it is on a cut. As long as you have the absolute minimum, then you SHOULD be fine. As you become more seasoned and have been training for years upon years and you're reaching your genetic potential, then you may benefit from more protein.