Magnesium

Options
wearmi1
wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
For those of you taking a magnesium supplement, what are you taking and how much? I'm looking for something to help with digestive issues as well as ease menstrual cramps.

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I take a conservative dose of 200mg of magnesium oil topically as mag gets depleted through strenuous exercise and I want to cover my bases. I've dealt with leg cramps in the past which spurred my interest in magnesium. I also eat plenty of foods that are high in magnesium.

If you're using it as laxative try mag citrate and start with 100mg and work your way up til you start "going". I don't know if it helps with the menstrual cramps though. Personally I would strive to meet the RDA with food and see if you feel better. (Beans, spinach, fish, avocados, whole grains)
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    wearmi1 wrote: »
    For those of you taking a magnesium supplement, what are you taking and how much? I'm looking for something to help with digestive issues as well as ease menstrual cramps.

I take 1g a day, 500mg morning and night, for different reasons to you.

It's one of the few things that helps with my anxiety.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I take 2 tsp of Natural Vitality magnesium supplement...I think it's 400 mg total. I've had much fewer issues with exercise cramping and reduced stress and anxiety since I started using it.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Make sure you add the amount you take in your daily multivitamin and not take too much.
    The multivitamin has other vitamins that can help w/ cramps such as: vitamin D, calcium, vitamin e.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Mg is presented on at least one site as "The chill pill". As robs_ready indicates, for good reason. I use 500mg Mg daily because it helps with my blood pressure. And re: blood pressure, an uninsured colleague used Magnesium and Potassium to dramatically lower his blood pressure from "very high" to "safe"
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    100% chelated magnesium glycinate
    400mg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I bought magnesium supplements when I decided to get back into a deficit about two weeks ago and I'm so bad about being consistent and taking them. I guess I probably should. I'm getting little muscle spasms in my legs. Not to derail, but they should help with that right?
  • firstnamerachel
    firstnamerachel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use a magnesium oil lotion- apply it to my feet prior to bed. I find I sleep better and feel more calm since starting it.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I take a 200mg Magnesium Glycinate tablet daily, and another one (supposed to) before bed when I remember it. That one, with some Melatonin.

Haven't noticed any difference with/without.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Magnesium Citrate. Morning and night. :)
  • kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Pure Vitamins Broad Spectrum Magnesium Caps

Magnesium (as Magnesium Carbonate, Magnesium Glycinate, Magnesium Taurate, and Magnesium Citrate)
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    As a natural alternative could try rice bran cereal. 50 grams for your recommended daily allowance ie 390mg.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I take about 700g a day, but usually I don't take it the week after my period, purely to give my body a break/also it's really expensive where I am!

It helps me no end with sleep, especially at that time of the month. I haven't noticed it's helped with cramps, but losing weight and giving up most of dairy has really improved those.