Greetings and Salutations

Options
At 42, I've never really tried to lose weight before. For the past few years, I hurt....ache. the calculator says I need to lose ~ 100 pounds. I don't even remember the last time I weighed close to 200. It feels incredibly daunting to comprehend. I'm starting with just trying to eat better. Family, grad school, work all exhaust my time. I'll have to figure out an exercise plan later. Besides I really don't want to make myself fizzle out by trying to do too much at once. Let me get one habit formed first.
I just want to feel better.
Cheers to everyone else being committed to better health.

Replies

• escher138
    escher138 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    recently tried turnip and collard greens for the first time ever. They werent that bad, collard greens were like green beans. The turnip ones were a bit more bitter, but a little hot sauce solved that.

Also, managed to come in below calorie intake goal today. I have yet to get a scale for food, but I am trying to compensate by overestimating my diary entries, so that if I still come in lower that would be good.
  • shawnaleigh210
    shawnaleigh210 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi there! :) You are completely right... Just focus on one change at a time. People sometimes try to change everything right off the bat, and that can be extremely hard, and it can often set you up to fail.

I just purchased a scale a few weeks ago, and it is probably the best purchase I've made in a while. I didn't realize how much I was miscalculating my food. It definitely helps. ;)

Best of luck to you! You can do this! ;) Feel free to add me if you'd like. The more friends we have to motivate us and encourage us, the better.
  • Fernando618G
    Fernando618G Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    escher138 wrote: »
    At 42, I've never really tried to lose weight before. For the past few years, I hurt....ache. the calculator says I need to lose ~ 100 pounds. I don't even remember the last time I weighed close to 200. It feels incredibly daunting to comprehend. I'm starting with just trying to eat better. Family, grad school, work all exhaust my time. I'll have to figure out an exercise plan later. Besides I really don't want to make myself fizzle out by trying to do too much at once. Let me get one habit formed first.
    I just want to feel better.
    Cheers to everyone else being committed to better health.

slow and steady wins the race buddy, i was 262 trust me i know the struggle is real just always keep your goals in mind. Youll be there before you know it
  • AUABOS
    AUABOS Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All the small steps you are taking now, at the beginning of your journey, will add up to reflect big changes in your life. You will start feeling better sooner than you think. If you are not very active now, adding in walking for 30 minutes several times a week will give you a sense of accomplishment. I lost 60# just walking on a treadmill. No fancy equipment needed. Just some good tunes and some sweat.
  • escher138
    escher138 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Especially the for the past couple days, and today included, I have been studying for an upcoming exam. I find myself frequently wanting to stop and go grab a snack. I think it is more boredom eating. I'm not used to really having a slight empty stomach sensation. I'm not really hungry I don't think. I've been trying to reach for my glass of water instead. And a stick of gum. Maybe it is an oral fixation, I need to chew on something for now, as the water does not seem to curb the urge.
  • Dray222
    Dray222 Posts: 39 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You can do it!! Sounds like you are on the right track and have a great attitude about it. Every little step helps! The food scale is definitely a good idea! I was surprised at how off I was in guessing serving sizes. It really opens your eyes. Good luck to you! Feel free to add me.