if you did 3 alternative days of full body heavy strength training, what would you do on other days?

Options
would you do hiit or go for a walk? if so, what intensity? I'm curious

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on one day, running about a 5K usually and take the other two days off.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I do about 3 to 4 days of heavy lifting.... depends on the week and the kids, on the days that I do not lift I will do circuit training which can sometimes be moderate to extensive depending on how my coach is feeling that day. Or I will get on the treadmill do a jog/ run. It just depends on how I am feeling after a good leg day all I want to do is an easy walk
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There's a huge range of cardio between HIIT & walking. And a multitude of breakdowns about what to do with the 4 days not lifting.
  • caoceanlover
    caoceanlover Posts: 46 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I do 3 days of heavy strength training (2 body parts per day) with about 20-30 minutes of cardio and a couple abdominal exercises each day, do about an hour of cardio on 1 day (usually intervals on the treadmill) and a 30 minute abdominal workout, and yoga on 1 day. Then I take 2 days off, usually the weekends.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Yoga 1 or 2 days a week.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I might do lighter (cardio) circuits that include movements I don't get on my lifting days.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    would you do hiit or go for a walk? if so, what intensity? I'm curious

I would do one HIIT, one long slow walk and one day of yoga. Or one day devoted to developing a new skill. For me it's a handstand...
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I am all over the place. I usually do 4 days of strength. The other days depend on how I am feeling. If I am sore, but want to do something, I swim or walk. I will get at least one really good cardio day, hopefully two that is usually HIIT or intervals of some sort.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've always alternated between strength & cardio (because I combine them together) with an active rest day, which for me would be yoga/stretch/work on flexibility + foam roll. You could also do light cardio, someone told me that light cardio following lifting helps with soreness if you're experiencing it.
  • asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Once you lift heavy enough (300lbs+ barbell squat) you shouldn't really do much on the rest days save for... rest. Maybe some yoga / light movement and walking. Save your strength for the days you lift! :)
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I usually lift MWF run TR (3-5 miles each) and then play a full 90 min soccer game on Sunday right now. If I'm not playing a game, I might go for a longer run (6-10 miles) on the weekend.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Monday - 15 mile easy flats ride AM/Lift PM
    Tuesday - Hill repeats on the bike.
    Wednesday - 15 mile easy flats ride AM/Lift PM
    Thursday - 12 mile Tempo/Time Trial ride
    Friday - Rest Day (walk/yoga/etc)
    Saturday - easy 5 mile spin to the gym to lift and 5 mile cool down spin home
    Sunday - 30 mile ride.

Note that my lifting is periodized to train in various rep ranges...I don't lift "heavy" all of the time. I tend to do cycles of undulating periodization where I have a heavy day, a moderate weight/moderate rep day, and a light weight high rep day; cycles of 3x 8-10, and cycles of low weight high rep stuff. My long heavy cycle tends to be in the winter when I'm on my bike a lot less...I do some short cycles here and there, but really, too much heavy work in the weight room interferes with my cycling.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sleep.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Rest. Since the weights were progressively getting heavier, I needed to focus on recovery. I was able to tolerate more stress, so I added some extra sets / accessory work after all the main lifts.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Lift 3 days, run a 5k two days, whatever I want for the 6th day (hike, kettlebells, some random class at the gym, etc.).