Minimalist Running

Options
I'm still new to the running (2.5 miles is my farthest run, completed in 23 minutes).
I currently run in regular running shoes. I know that running can cause knee problems, but I hear that minimalist running reduces shock in knees.
Does anyone have any experience or input on minimalist running and shoes?

Replies

• professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the formation of your feet. I overpronate so running barefoot or even in minimalist shoes hurts something awful. But I have run 3 to 4 times a week always on the road since 2011 when I carried around 300 lbs without any major knee problems. I don't skimp on shoes...buy from a legit running store where they can evaluate your stride and foot strike...and foam roll regularly. Especially my calves, quads, and IT band.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    tjsloff wrote: »
    I'm still new to the running (2.5 miles is my farthest run, completed in 23 minutes).
    I currently run in regular running shoes. I know that running can cause knee problems, but I hear that minimalist running reduces shock in knees.
    Does anyone have any experience or input on minimalist running and shoes?

Running does not cause problems with your knees with either minimalist or regular running shoes.

You may want to google the lawsuit against Vibram for their bogus claims (I have friends who run in Vibrams and love them).

Run in what is comfortable for you. Focus on a short stride (ie your front foot should not extend too much beyond your hips) with a reasonably quick foot turnover. While many advocate a mid or fore foot strike many of running's greats have been heel strikers..... go with what feels natural and comfortable for you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I know that running can cause knee problems

Running with incorrect technique, or increasing mileage or pace too quickly can cause problems. Running doesn't inherently cause problems, particularly specific knee problems.
    ..but I hear that minimalist running reduces shock in knees.

So there are three aspects to think about, the vertical offset between heel and toe, the level of protection that a shoe offers and the level of pronation control it offers. Minimalist is a pretty broad term.

The key point with your gait is, as observed upthread, about a short, quick, stride that pushes you forward. Run tall, rather than hunched and run with a relaxed posture at a reasonable pace for the length of the run. Different shoes can affect that, but they're not the only factor.

Personally, for long distance on road I prefer an 8mm with heel and forefoot protection, for shorter distances I like a 6mm with less forefoot protection. On trails I like a 3mm with minimal protection as it gives me much better ground feel when I'm offroad.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I recommend you read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.

Minimalist running does not prevent all injuries. It may put less strain on your knees and back (assuming proper running form) but it will put more strain on your calf muscles and possibly increase the risk of stress fractures in your feet. I have never been injured but know some who have.

Build mileage gradually (I am a little crazy and ran my first 5k, 10k and half marathon within a few months of reading the book and ran my first marathon in under a year. I was lucky to never get hurt with that schedule) and have fun minimalist running!

For the record different people may have different definitions of minimalist running. For me it means barefoot or shoes with a 0mm drop. You can run long distances with minimalist shoes. I have ran 50 kilometers+ numerous times with Vibram Bikilas, Merrell Vapor Gloves, etc

Run outside on hilly terrain! My first half marathon was harder on my calf muscles than it needed to be because I trained on flat trails and treadmills (with only a flat or incline option). Being forced to run downhill for the first time during a race is not fun or easy on your calf muscles.

If you are also looking for food recommendations to follow your run, I highly recommend pizza.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    For me it means barefoot or shoes with a 0mm drop.

Like Hokas?
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor or go to a running store to get your gait analyzed and get a good fitting shoe. My personal preference is minimalist shoes, and I had some back when I was doing C25K a couple of years ago and absolutely loved the fit and comfort. Then I developed plantar fasciitis, and part of the cause was wearing shoes without adequate support. As much as my feet love minimalist, I had to go with supportive shoes and am finally just now getting rid of the pain. The running store helped me pick a couple of excellent pairs of shoes, as well as supportive flip flops (as a Floridian, I live in flip flops which was also part of my problem).
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    edited April 2016
    Options
    For me it means barefoot or shoes with a 0mm drop.

Like Hokas?

Haha I guess the 0mm drop version would meet my definition. I won't knock Hokas. I tried a pair on once at a pre marathon convention and could see how they appeal to some (even if they were not for me).
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Indeed. I've seen Hokas used on trail HMs and Marathons and to me it looks like a lot of lateral load on the ankle. I prefer getting the ground feel given the terrain.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    One comment directed at those who already run long distances with "traditional" running shoes (significant heel to toe drop) looking to convert to minimalist running. Swallow your pride and start over with mileage progression. Minimalist running emphases different muscles and running form changes as we get tired. To avoid injury risk you should reduce weekly mileage during your transition.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how you run - I used to run in 'normal' shoes (11mm drop) but was always a neutral, midfoot runner and was told in a running store that I could wear whatever shoes I liked, which proved to be true; I had no problem just buying some lighter shoes (6mm, 4mm & 3mm drop) and running in them as much as I wanted. I think it's if you are changing your shoes in order to change your running style that you need to be careful. I couldn't heel strike if I wanted to (tried it recently for fun and it was WEIRD).
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I think it depends how you run - I used to run in 'normal' shoes (11mm drop) but was always a neutral, midfoot runner and was told in a running store that I could wear whatever shoes I liked, which proved to be true; I had no problem just buying some lighter shoes (6mm, 4mm & 3mm drop) and running in them as much as I wanted. I think it's if you are changing your shoes in order to change your running style that you need to be careful. I couldn't heel strike if I wanted to (tried it recently for fun and it was WEIRD).

Good point. Sorry if my post helped further the inaccurate stereotype that everyone using running shoes with a large drop is a heel striker.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Since I am already a mid-foot striker I have been considering trying lighter shoes (Hokas - 5mm). I'm not doing to prevent injury (that IS a myth) but rather to see if I can improve my time/experience. I'm on the fence since I'm not your 'typical' runner. I am a little heavier (by choice) and will never be that thin. As a result I like a bit of support.

OP - Focus on keeping your runs slow and easy and don't add too much distance too soon and you will be fine.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I switch between 10mm super cushions (nimbus) for training and 4mm (kinvara) for racing. Seems to work well but I run 99% on concrete/asphalt so running in minimal shoes is not going to happen. I do find if I run slower in the 4mm shoes I get an increase in general soreness. Arch, calf, nothing serious but obnoxious. So just fast stuff in those lighter/less absorbing shoes.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I switched from heavy support shoes (for overpronation) to more minimalist shoes (4mm heel to toe drop, with less cushioning than I was used to). I suffered for years with ITBS in my right leg so thought I would try a different approach. I prefer the softer more flexible shoe. As mentioned above, build up your mileage very slowly. I first had issues with Achilles tendons and very tight calves, then I had a case of plantar fasciitis, followed by a hamstring strain, and then finally hip tendonitis over the space of 12 months! pretty much all were related to increasing my mileage too quickly, and sometimes not having good running form. On the plus side, my ITBS appears to have vanished as long as I don't do a crazy mileage increase one week. Another bit of advice - lots of stretching through the hips and legs after each run.

good luck :-)
  • tjsloff
    tjsloff Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know it is best, if I do convert, to only do a little at a time and that is why I am asking while I'm relatively new to it. I understand that there is a lot of strain on the calves, and I have been working them up some. My job causes sore calves, so I'm hoping the fore/midfoot strikes will strengthen them so they aren't sore at work in the long run (obviously taking some resting time).
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I wear newtons, they are somewhat unstructured but have great rebound, those have been the best for me. Try out different brands for awhile, everyone is different. Sore calves when starting out are a good sign that you are using your feet to run - pushing off instead of just clopping them down and picking them up with leg muscles.

I think that running barefoot on grass is great for you, and agree with not using shoes with a large drop or too restrictive or too much cushioning but not sure that it's great to run on sidewalks/street without some good shock absorbing.

I also agree with pearshapedmum, stretching after you run is critical - I used to think it unimportant because it really doesn't seem like you need a wide range of motion to run, but it turns out that flexible tissues are healthy tissues, so ignoring "mobility" leads to injury. I use the book "Ready to Run" as a resource for stretching advice but do yoga as my actual stretching, just staying aware of the standards in the book.

Congratulations on starting running, I hope you get a lifetime of enjoyment and fitness.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know it is best, if I do convert, to only do a little at a time and that is why I am asking while I'm relatively new to it. I understand that there is a lot of strain on the calves, and I have been working them up some. My job causes sore calves, so I'm hoping the fore/midfoot strikes will strengthen them so they aren't sore at work in the long run (obviously taking some resting time).

Do you wear insoles in your work shoes? I was having foot problems a couple years ago while running. The biggest thing I did was to start wearing insoles in all my OTHER shoes (and my running shoes). Your feet spend most of their day in your work shoes, so having good, supportive shoes for that might help.
  • tjsloff
    tjsloff Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks robininfl. These past two days I've been working on stretches more. Dynamic beforehand and static after. I definitely need to work on ankle flexibility more, because I'm having trouble doing squats.
    Blue4miles, yeah my work shoes have thick cushion y soles and I have some nice softsol soles in them.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    My job causes sore calves, so I'm hoping the fore/midfoot strikes will strengthen them so they aren't sore at work in the long run (obviously taking some resting time).

I'm not convinced that changing your running style will make a huge difference here, there's some value in looking into what's causing your calf issues in the first place as moving to a more minimalist shoe, depending on how you define minimalist, might exacerbate it.

It may be that given what you're saying low or zero drop maximal shoe, like a Hoka, might be more appropriate.

Working on calf strength and calf flexibility will undoubtedly help your running. Similarly working on core strength helps, and is probably the bigger contributor to mitigating the various injuries identified in the thread.

Essentially, don't look on them as a magic bullet, but moving to either low drop or reduced protection might contribute to resolving the issues.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    One comment directed at those who already run long distances with "traditional" running shoes (significant heel to toe drop) looking to convert to minimalist running. Swallow your pride and start over with mileage progression. Minimalist running emphases different muscles and running form changes as we get tired. To avoid injury risk you should reduce weekly mileage during your transition.

Yes, I had my worst running injury by ignoring this advice. I did reduce my mileage some, but not nearly enough. Wound up sidelined for quite a while