Broke plateau! Question on zig zag

Options
Finally! I was the same weight for over 5 weeks and was getting so frustrated, (but I was glad I didn't gain). I zig zagged my calories for 1 week and it worked! I lost another 1 lb! Finally I have lost 50lbs! So my question is do I still zig zag or do I go back to my same daily calorie intake? Someone please help!!!!

Replies

• kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    stick with the zig-zag, it shakes things up for your body!!! :)
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    For me, zig-zagging only really worked the first week (I dropped like 3 lbs) and then after that I gained and lost those same 3 lbs for the next three weeks. But that could have been from a variety of reasons. I know a lot of people that zig-zag and have fantastic results. If you want to see more info on my progress with it, check out my blog. My first post is where I planned it all out.

Congrats on breaking the plateau!! Any weight I lose now feels like such a huge accomplishment.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I agree stay with zig zagging it is working for me :)
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    keep mixing it up
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help I have been at the same weight for 2 weeks but at least not gaining. How do you zig zag calories?
  • Karrimae
    Karrimae Posts: 3
    Options
    Explain the zig zag thing to me. I wanna try. :smile:
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    bumb. I want to have the answer to this question as well.
  • losinfat4good
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your question b/c each person's body is very different so I say try it out another week and play it by ear. I do want to say congrats! You totally rock for gettin that pound off and losing 50 total! kudos to u!
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Well done on breaking the plateau - that can be a real challenge!

I am definitely a "3 steps forward, 2 steps back" kind of dieter. Even when I'm very consistent with exercise and diet I'll lose 7lbs one week and then have 2 weeks where I either gain a bit or stay the same.

Because of that I now concentrate on my monthly weight loss even if I weigh in weekly because that's where you see your progress.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have been eating maintenance trying to break my 7 week plateau. Last week was fail. I don't think I ate more than 1000 but 2 days. So, I am doing it a 2nd week, and am doing much better. Next week I will drop my goals back to loss. I would say, if your weekly total is still (daily loss cal) x 7 (days a week) then you can leave it and continue losing, but, if you should make sure it is still at a deficit for the week.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    So to zig zag you eat a different amount of calories each day. My total for the week is 11,760 or 1,680 per day. So the actual zig zag is to eat the following :
    M 1646
    T 1411
    W 1999
    H 1646
    F 1528
    Sa 1881
    Su 1646

You can calculate yourself by multiplying your weekly intake by the following percentages:
    M 14
    T 12
    W 17
    H 14
    F 13
    Sa 16
    Su 14
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well done on breaking the plateau - that can be a real challenge!

I am definitely a "3 steps forward, 2 steps back" kind of dieter. Even when I'm very consistent with exercise and diet I'll lose 7lbs one week and then have 2 weeks where I either gain a bit or stay the same.

Because of that I now concentrate on my monthly weight loss even if I weigh in weekly because that's where you see your progress.

I'm very similar to you Emily which is why I have to look at this thing long term. I felt myself starting to get obsessive again with the scale (I have hit a massive plateau!) so asked my fiance to hide it away from me and only let me weigh in again in a month's time - now I just have to make sure I don't use the scale at the gym!! :laugh:
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks!