Weighting In.

Options
Just curious,How often are you suppose to weight in on here?....I have herd that weighting in every day might not be the right thing to do....Whats your ideas?

Replies

• Charlottekd
    Options
    Pick a day and weigh in on that day once a week, preferably in the morning before eating anything, and after going to the toilet :)
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    It's really personal preference... I weigh weekly Wed mornings at 10:30. Just be consistant in what you chose to do :wink:
  • kbeatty1015
    kbeatty1015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I weighed every day for quite awhile, but now I weigh once a week-- on Friday-- and long on that day. Doing it every day is a good way to keep check, but you won't lose your sanity if you only do it one day a week.
  • Bunnyboo82
    Bunnyboo82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. Body weight flucuate on a daily basis,so I don't want to get discouraged that if today i weight 150 and then tomorrow because i'm retaining water and i weigh 152! I also weigh myself first thing in the morning after i've used the restroom. It provides a more accuarte reading for me weighing in. Good Luck and hope this helps!
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    weight can fluctuate so greatly so I weigh in and record it maybe once a week. I am keeping an eye on it almost every day though :)
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh myself daily or every other day, but I only log it in MFP weekly. The reason for not weighing in daily is because people may think you will get disheartened by seeing a small gain, but providing you realise that your weight can fluctuate on a daily basis and you should look at the change over a much longer period of time, then there is no reason why you can't log it daily - makes the graph look more interesting too.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Once a week is best. The weight will more likely be accurate and you’re less likely to go coo-coo over typically fluctuations. Just ensure that the day, time and circumstance (i.e. before vs after workout..morning vs evening) is always the same to lessen the chance of other variables affecting your number.
  • cgd67
    cgd67 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Once a week for me!
  • Dalejr
    Dalejr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I jump on the scale everymorning, but only count what I weigh on Friday.
  • Tomclark64
    Options
    No hard and fast rule, but you have to recognize that even when you are doing everything right on your nutrition/exercise, your weight is going to fluxuate daily, so I keep the weighs to once a week. I weight the same day about the same time each week. Weighing every day can be a pschological hit to you if you have been doing your plan, and the scale doesn't respond, but the key is consistency in doing your plan, that's what gets you results and for me, weighting just once a week lets me know if what I'm doing is working.
  • mleipe
    mleipe Posts: 54
    Options
    I've been told several times that you should only weigh yourself once a week, same day, same time of day, etc.

However, I go to the gym every work day and weigh myself when I get out of the shower and record that weight. Sometimes it goes up from one day to another and sometimes it goes down. This is apparently completely normal and natural, as your body weight will fluctuate from day to day.

However, because I record my weight I can look for trends, and if over all, week over week, I'm trending down, I'm happy. If I see my weight go down from one day to the next I'm proud of myself (and I *don't* reward myself with food!); if it goes up I'm motivated to stay on track.

So... bottom line: I've discovered that for me it's not about how often I weigh in, it's about what I do with whatever weight comes out of the scale when I do. If I don't reward myself for a loss with calories I don't need, if I don't get upset when I see an increase (especially if I've truly been "sticking with the plan"), and if I see a week-over-week continuous trend downwards, I'm happy.

YMMV.
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I first started this site I was weighing myself every day and was going crazy! I finally started to just weigh myself once a week, It's nice to see the numbers drop by 2-5lbs in one week!. The last time I weighed myself it was almost 2 weeks in between and will be about the same when I'm able to weigh myself again. I try not to think about the scale and just focus on eating well and exercising every day. I know everything else will follow.
  • nastytater
    nastytater Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll for all the ideas and responses...I'll start logging in my weight once a week,I can't wait to see the results...Appreciate it.
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, when I get up, after I have been to the toilet (every little helps :-) )

My aim is to log my weight on here once a week, but if it has gone up slightly, I wait until it has come back down again :-)
  • DATonks
    DATonks Posts: 1
    Options
    Some time I'll go a month before I weigh in. My weight loss may not be a quick as some others, I've only lost 26lbs in a year but it is going the right way and I'm making changes I can stick with over the long term. As long as my weight continues to trickle off I'm happy, after all I didn't put the weight on in just a week or a couple of months, it took YEARS!!
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    once a month, mid-cycle, right in the morning when i get up before eating/after having a bathroom break. the scale then gets put away so there is no temptation to use it.
  • nastytater
    nastytater Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thats kind of my reasoning also...It took over 20 years for me to weight this much,so it's just going to take time to get it off...But as long as it comes off is what counts....Congradulations on the weight you have lost.
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Don't know how often I will, in the past I do best just going by how I feel and how my clothes fit.