Macros- yay or nay?

Options
I have about 20lb to lose.
Most days I log my carbs tend to be the biggest macro... Like 50% despite me not eating much carbs (like usually no carbs after lunch).
I wanna lose fat and lean out.
Did ppl who start doing macros (I think I'm supposed to be eating 30% carbs ratio) notice considerable improvement? Do u recommend ?

Replies

• kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I got great advise on MACROS which was make sure you make your protein and get close to fat and be below carbs and cals and its been working for me
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    50% carbs is okay, it's MFP's default. Or you can ditch the percentage and set protein to grams per pounds of bodyweight or lean body mass, but there are lots of different opinions on how much is optimal. I have been successful on 1 gram of protein (and fat) per KILO of bodyweight at normal BMI, through both weight loss and maintenance.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    The MFP default is high carbs, like the SAD (Standard American Diet) which has led to the Obesity epidemic. Reduce your carbs so your body can burn fat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Your body can burn fat at 50% carbs, obviously. If lower carbs work for you, great, but it doesn't work for everyone.

(And the problem with the SAD isn't the carb percentage.)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    The MFP default is high carbs, like the SAD (Standard American Diet) which has led to the Obesity epidemic. Reduce your carbs so your body can burn fat.

The obesity epidemic is caused by people eating too many calories and not being active enough to compensate for it.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Reducing carbs helped greatly in my efforts to lower body fat.
    Mere weight loss was not enough; I wanted more. Once I reached my weight loss goals, in weight maintenance, keeping overall carbs at 40% was my zone for slowly leaning out while keeping my weight the same.
    Macros matter...if again, your goals are more than mere weight loss.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Your body can burn fat at 50% carbs, obviously. If lower carbs work for you, great, but it doesn't work for everyone.

(And the problem with the SAD isn't the carb percentage.)

Agreed.
    See what works best for you and is something you will be able to sustain!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I just find when I eat a lot of carbs I'm not satisfied and don't feel full-- so I focus on fiber and protein.
  • BeinLoved
    BeinLoved Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I follow IIFYM and have had great success. I'm set at 38% Protein, 33% carbs, 29% fat (185P/163C/62F) but I lift heavy 5 days a week and do low intensity cardio as well. You have to find what works for you but lower percentage of carbs/fats and higher protein is a great way to build muscle and burn fat.