Before Pictures

Options
I was not going to take any official "Before" Pics but then I started looking at the Success Stories and thought it could be a good idea. I'm didn't think I was in denial of my weight but WOW those before pics tell another story. Especially the pic where I am sitting down. I can't believe what 330 lbs REALLY looks like. Every other picture of me has been taken from flattering angles or Ill hide behind someone. Did you have an emotional reaction to your before pics? I feel a little hopeless after seeing them. I realize numerically I am 190 lbs overweight but I still didn't realize, this is how I look. This is really how I look.

Replies

• jlcnuke
    jlcnuke Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I took some as motivation to be able to show myself later what I've accomplished and to remind me what I DON'T want to let myself become after I lose this weight.
  • kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I Need to take some I have already lost a good amount but still should take some soon I keep not doing it because people take my phone a lot lol
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It was a photo which gave me a kick to get started. You can do this.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, it came as a shock. I didn't think I was THAT big. I was in complete denial.
  • roadrunner676
    roadrunner676 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm going to need a bigger camera... :D
  • SimplyFrannie
    SimplyFrannie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I took one today; I'm eager to see to difference in four months!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Yes I was horrified, I always avoided having my picture taken but then deliberately took some before pics in my bra and panties and this really hammered home how large I had let myself become.

Somewhere between the mirror and my brain I had distorted how I looked to "ok" when in fact it was not "ok" at all. The pictures were big wake up call for me.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I almost posted on your wall what happened to me. :wink: I had lost a lot of weight several years ago, and when I was down a few clothing sizes (don't recall the weight off hand) I looked at a picture and I was so upset. I told my friends if I ever looked like that again to say something to me. Needless to say, they never did for whatever reasons, but every time I look at a picture I just think "wow, what the hell was I doing". Even now after significant loss I still have that reaction.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    In my first week here, my mentor urged me to take "before" pics right away. She was so right. It's a complete gas to see the progress. I, too, avoided being photographed for a long time, and wouldn't post pictures of myself on any of the sites I frequent. It wasn't so much that I was in denial of what I looked like as that I felt helpless to change it. Then I came here and found it was actually pretty straightforward. Now I'm completely cheerful looking at my "before" pix, because what they mean to me is that my life is drastically improved in the last four months.

My mentor stressed that a good "before" pic involves pants you can't yet zip up.
  • KristenNagle1
    KristenNagle1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am hoping one day Ill be so happy to look at the pic! 2 weeks in it's a bit tough LOL
  • liftzilla16
    liftzilla16 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Following somewhat what Wendy said, your before pics might be hard to look at now but it will be one of your favorite pictures down the road when you've finally completed your journey! Best of luck!!
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I had my wife take my before pic, just standing in front of a wall in my undies, it was depressing to look at. I have her take the same shot every month, and its finally starting to show progress after 50 lbs down. Still a long way to go (66 lbs), but I am excited to flip through them chronologically when I have met my goal.
    Oh, and side shot as well as front.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I debated as well - and in the end I chose to take one picture every 30 days to track my progress. I have a forward facing photo, and a side profile photo that I took in a workout shirt that was more than tight at my original size. Every 30 days I go to the exact same spot and take the exact same pictures, in the exact same workout shirt. I'm down 22 pounds thus far and finally, in my 90-day picture, I could see a little of a difference, which energized me to keep going!!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I would always joke that if I went missing they would have to work off a sketch because I avoided photos like the plague. I was able to did up a few pictures from my heaviest and I wish I had actually taken real before pictures.

I did start taking pictures not too long after losing a few pounds so I did have some reference photos to compare along the way. They really help when you have those weeks were you lose no pounds but when comparing photos you can see the inches.
  • mumbles2013
    mumbles2013 Posts: 289 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I do not have any photos of myself because I know how I look and I hate it. I hide away when a phone comes out for a pic and laugh it off. I have been a yo yo dieter for years and always end up heavier than I started. This is the first time I have even taken a before pic but it wasn't intented for use on this site just to hide on my photo but after 14lbs loss I can't believe the progress!!!
    It's now my profile pic and it inspires me. I know when I have had days it will come in handy to see how far I've come with the pics.
    I think losing weight with exercise is the key, I feel it's helping to firm me up as I go.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I took my before pictures, bawled for about 15 minutes, and then locked them away. I've lost the weight before and can do it again and I know how much I'll be thankful for having those before pictures eventually... but for now they are devastating and tucked safely away.