For those on low carb, do you get fatigue and brain fog?

Options
2»

Replies

• blewbell
    blewbell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had trouble at first, plus bad migraines and nausea. Started taking a Vitamin B supplement and it has helped. YMMV.
  • troutlilly
    troutlilly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A while ago I gave up several different kind of carbs (bread/pasta/rice/cereal) and was extremely low-carb. I don't buy it when people say they are "no" carb. Everything has carbs. Anyway, it was the worst thing ever. I didn't feel fuzzy or tired or anything like that, no brain fog, but I developed a massive and intense craving for sweets. Which pissed me off because I had never been a sweets person. Anyway, it didn't promote any weight loss or changes in my body, it just made me want sweets and it made me angry. Today I eat around 120 to 130 g per day which is considered a low carb diet but since 90% of my diet consists of vegetables I am always full and satisfied. I do make sure to include slow carbs in my diet every day. They are critically important for athletic ability. (Lentils, beans, legumes), things like that. I have a *kitten*-load of energy and energy on demand.

Something tells me YMMV, as everyone's bodies respond differently.

There's no way someone should ever eat "no carb." There's no medical basis for that, and it's unhealthy. But I can see how cutting out those carbs led to craving sweets-- you're not the first person to experience it.
  • blewbell
    blewbell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A while ago I gave up several different kind of carbs (bread/pasta/rice/cereal) and was extremely low-carb. I don't buy it when people say they are "no" carb. Everything has carbs. Anyway, it was the worst thing ever. I didn't feel fuzzy or tired or anything like that, no brain fog, but I developed a massive and intense craving for sweets. Which pissed me off because I had never been a sweets person. Anyway, it didn't promote any weight loss or changes in my body, it just made me want sweets and it made me angry. Today I eat around 120 to 130 g per day which is considered a low carb diet but since 90% of my diet consists of vegetables I am always full and satisfied. I do make sure to include slow carbs in my diet every day. They are critically important for athletic ability. (Lentils, beans, legumes), things like that. I have a *kitten*-load of energy and energy on demand.

This is so weird! When I quote you @cushman5279 - it says you said you have a 'sh**-load of energy', not 'kitten-load'. I have a kitten. I want a kitten-load of energy!!!!
  • troutlilly
    troutlilly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    Hi I am wondering, those that do low carb diet have you experienced fog or fatigue?

I am not on a low carb diet but sometimes unintentionally eat less carbs. I don't eat gluten which is why I end up undereating carbs but eat lots of veggies and fruits. Lately have been getting foggy/fatigue so trying to figure out if that might be the cause.

If my sodium is too low, I get foggy. I now take 1g sodium tablets twice a day and the fog is gone. Electrolytes out of balance is usually the first thing that comes to mind when someone talks about dropping their carbs.

Depending on what your "undereating carbs" looks like, you could be bumping into and out of ketosis, which can cause some fog when crossing back and forth over that line. Avoiding crossing the line is why most of us in keto eat well under our carb limit.

You can up your carbs and keep them above your keto line and you'll be fine. You can lower your carbs and keep them below your keto line and you'll be fine. I suspect jumping across that line is rarely going to work out well.

Do you know if there's some kind of "standardization" with this line?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hi I am wondering, those that do low carb diet have you experienced fog or fatigue?

I am not on a low carb diet but sometimes unintentionally eat less carbs. I don't eat gluten which is why I end up undereating carbs but eat lots of veggies and fruits. Lately have been getting foggy/fatigue so trying to figure out if that might be the cause.

I lowered my carbs and sugar and felt out of it for a week or so. Now that my body adjusted, I'm completely used to it and feel significantly better.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    salittle1 wrote: »

This is so weird! When I quote you @cushman5279 - it says you said you have a 'sh**-load of energy', not 'kitten-load'. I have a kitten. I want a kitten-load of energy!!!!

Yes of all the things the MFP developers could work on, replacing prohibited words with "kitten" instead of the non-confusing ***** was the thing chosen.
  • kshama2001
    Options

If you find replacing prohibited words with "kitten" confusing, we're discussing it here in Forum Feedback: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36038616#Comment_36038616
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

If you find replacing prohibited words with "kitten" confusing, we're discussing it here in Forum Feedback: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36038616#Comment_36038616

It says i have a "permission problem ". Can't read it @kshama2001

• kshama2001
    edited April 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It says i have a "permission problem ". Can't read it @kshama2001

Yes, the thread's been pulled for the second time today. Who knew kittens were so contentious.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    Not sure about carbs doing that before but I know when I'm missing out on sugar or moreso chocolate. I've rarely had any chocolate for the last two months. I felt kind of off or odd the other day and finally realized it's because I really wanted some chocolate, the yuckiest sugary type of food I could find. I instead ate two of my 50 calorie snackwells devils food cookies and it curbed the feeling.

You can try Lily's or Coco Polo chocolate--it's sweetened with stevia and may fit into your way of eating. And I think it's yummy! I buy it at Sprout's.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Kittens are contentious, except when it comes to space on the roomba. :wink:
    m2p2djmnhgca.gif