Ankle sprain or break?

Options
I'm posting here just in case someone has gone through this before. Surprisingly, this is the first time I've had this happen to me. I was playing softball last night and slid into a base and jammed my foot into the edge of it. It hurt really bad when it happened, but then it got better enough for me to finish playing 3 more innings - it was sore, but I could walk on it.

About 3 hours later, I was a hot mess! It was hurting so bad, it was just burning and I had pulsing pain in the top of my foot. I would say my pain was an 8.5 out of 10 - and I've had two kids, so I know what real pain feels like. Woke up this morning and while the pain is a little less, I still can't put pressure on it and I can't flex my foot back toward my body. Weird part is so far there is no bruising and very little swelling.

Alright - if anyone has had this experience, please advise me on what to do. I am home with 2 kids today and I'm not quite sure how the heck I'm going to get around! I do have an ace bandage on and I've been icing it on and off and taking Tylenol. I don't really want to haul all of us to the doctor...

Replies

• LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    doesn't really sound like any sprain I've had, but maybe yours is just more severe. Honestly, I'd be worried about a break myself and if I were you, I'd try to get in to get an xray. sucks. sorry :(
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    I'd try to find a friend/neighbor to watch the kids and get that ankle/foot xrayed.
  • hlavers
    hlavers Posts: 32
    Options
    Could just be a sprain but you could have a small fracture. Your best bet is to find someone to babysit and get yourself to a doctor and x-ray to find out for sure. If it gets worse it'll be even harder to take care of your kids and would prolong your recovery!
  • possummama
    possummama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    that did happen to me once and it turned out to be a sprain - BUT - you really should have it checked. The doctor treating me that day said a sprain can hurt worse than a break. Good luck!!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    If you can't walk at all, you should definitely go get it looked at and the doc will probably order an x-ray just to be sure. Most likely just a sprain, but definitely better to be safe than sorry. The lack of bruising is probably a good sign though...maybe you just jammed it bad.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Ice and rest it for a few more hours and if there is not any improvement get in to the doc. I would say go right away but it sounds like you are kind of wanting to wait until someone can be with your kids, can't blame you there. People with high pain tollerances have been known to have broken bones and finished a game/their run/a shift at work before they realize the injury is worse than they thought. Keep it elevated with ice and a tensor and see if it helps.

I sprained my ankle badly a year ago. I hear a snap as I fell but while there was weakness in my ankle, there was not severe pain right away. I think I tore a ligament with the snap. I never went in to the doc because I know how to care for a sprain and there was no pain after the fact with passive movement, just when I touched it or put pressure on it. The swelling was not far behind and the bruising came about 24 hours later. 2 days on the couch and after that I could walk carefully around the house, 4 days later I was still wrapped and icing occasionally but at work(I am a massage therapist). It took a full 6 months to stop twinging, get stronger and allow me to run on it again. Take it easy and get checked if you are worried or see no improvement. Oh, advil is better than tylenol because it will reduce inflamation.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This sounds a lot like what I went through just last week! I rolled my foot when just walking, though, (I'm a clutz) and had a hard time walking immediately. There was (and still is) bruising on the outside of my foot going up my arch, as well as just under my toes on the top of my foot. Turned out to be a sprain, although the doctor didn't order any x rays. My ankle didn't hurt at all, nor did a few other key points he put pressure on, so he didn't think it was a break. I'm able to hobble around this week much better than last.

I'm with the others though - keep icing, and maybe try ibuprofen instead of tylenol (for swelling), elevate your foot, use the ace bandage and crutches or a cane if you have something along those lines - and get to a doctor. S/he will have a much better idea of what it is and whether you need xrays.

Good luck!!
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    OK - off to the Dr. Boo. I guess at the very least, I might get a pair of crutches or something. Thanks for the input. I certainly don't want to delay this and make it worse. Me + No Work-Outs = BAD NEWS.
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    Ice and rest it for a few more hours and if there is not any improvement get in to the doc. I would say go right away but it sounds like you are kind of wanting to wait until someone can be with your kids, can't blame you there. People with high pain tollerances have been known to have broken bones and finished a game/their run/a shift at work before they realize the injury is worse than they thought. Keep it elevated with ice and a tensor and see if it helps.

I sprained my ankle badly a year ago. I hear a snap as I fell but while there was weakness in my ankle, there was not severe pain right away. I think I tore a ligament with the snap. I never went in to the doc because I know how to care for a sprain and there was no pain after the fact with passive movement, just when I touched it or put pressure on it. The swelling was not far behind and the bruising came about 24 hours later. 2 days on the couch and after that I could walk carefully around the house, 4 days later I was still wrapped and icing occasionally but at work(I am a massage therapist). It took a full 6 months to stop twinging, get stronger and allow me to run on it again. Take it easy and get checked if you are worried or see no improvement. Oh, advil is better than tylenol because it will reduce inflamation.

I also just don't like going to the doctor unless I really have to. IMO, most ailments figure themselves out as long as you're pretty sure what they are. But, the line feels very blurred for me right now - I'm assuming it's a sprain, but I would hate to have a small fracture or something and figure this out in a few months when it's not getting better. it took 6 months until you could run on it? Oh JEEZ!! Thanks for the advice. I know this is weird, but I also don't really take pain relievers. I think the Tylenol I took was about 10 years old - guess I'm going shopping...if I can get to the store!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but you need to go to a doctor.
  • TAErvin
    TAErvin Posts: 8
    Options
    Sounds like a sprain I had one a month ago and my ankle is just now feeling a little better. Have you put an ice pack on it. To be sure still go to doctor so they can xray it. Then I went to Walmart and got a Mueller ankle support it help a whole lot. Take care...
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

I also just don't like going to the doctor unless I really have to. IMO, most ailments figure themselves out as long as you're pretty sure what they are. But, the line feels very blurred for me right now - I'm assuming it's a sprain, but I would hate to have a small fracture or something and figure this out in a few months when it's not getting better. it took 6 months until you could run on it? Oh JEEZ!! Thanks for the advice. I know this is weird, but I also don't really take pain relievers. I think the Tylenol I took was about 10 years old - guess I'm going shopping...if I can get to the store!

Yes 6 months before i could run again. But mine was a severe sprain possibly full tear of that ligament, by my assessment and the assessment of the chiro I worked for. You could just have a small partial tear or even just an over stretched liagament. Don't think the worst right away. Take care, I hope it is not more severe!!
  • RMinVA
    Options
    I also am not one to run to the doctor for every ache and pain, but I think you have to listen to your body. If you are in tune with it, you should be able to tell pretty quickly what is worth a doctors trip and what can wait.

This past Tuesday, my knee suddenly started hurting and "popping," in spite of no known trauma or injury. I had a regular work out on Sunday, and took a rest day on Monday. I kept it elevated and iced on Wednesday. When it didn't feel a whole lot better yesterday morning, I decided to call my doc. Some of my friends were quick to chalk it up to "age" : but I knew this was different. Doc couldn't really tell anything immediately since the symptoms could be any range of issues. I was sent for an x-ray and the doc called this morning to let me know that we have to "discuss" what the x-ray showed. I've been going to this doctor for a long time and if all is well, they tell you all is well. "Discuss" means something is going on....I'm waiting for her to call back now. I am hopeful the "prescription" will just be to take it easy for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, bottom line, trust your gut!!
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    I also am not one to run to the doctor for every ache and pain, but I think you have to listen to your body. If you are in tune with it, you should be able to tell pretty quickly what is worth a doctors trip and what can wait.

This past Tuesday, my knee suddenly started hurting and "popping," in spite of no known trauma or injury. I had a regular work out on Sunday, and took a rest day on Monday. I kept it elevated and iced on Wednesday. When it didn't feel a whole lot better yesterday morning, I decided to call my doc. Some of my friends were quick to chalk it up to "age" : but I knew this was different. Doc couldn't really tell anything immediately since the symptoms could be any range of issues. I was sent for an x-ray and the doc called this morning to let me know that we have to "discuss" what the x-ray showed. I've been going to this doctor for a long time and if all is well, they tell you all is well. "Discuss" means something is going on....I'm waiting for her to call back now. I am hopeful the "prescription" will just be to take it easy for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, bottom line, trust your gut!!

Oh no! I hope everything is okay, or at least not too hard to repair. Good Luck. I actually did end up going to the doctor. I saw a few friends who looked at it and basically forced me to go. I think I figured out my doctor issue - I have this fear that they're going to look at me like, "Why are you here? This is no big deal. Just a bruise." and then I'd be really embarrassed. It's stupid! Anyway - that was not the case this time. I actually have an evulsion fracture and I tore the ligament clear off one of the bones. Awesome. Maybe another reason I don't like going to the doctor: BAD NEWS! Anyway, I don't need a cast or surgery - they treat these things the same as sprains. Ice, elevation and keeping off of it. 6-8 weeks but if I feel better before that, he said I can do anything I want that I just have to base my activities on the pain I feel. UGH. No running for me, but I might try spinning in a few days. My family won't want me around if I can't work out.

Again - Good Luck to you, I hope it works out for the best!! Thanks for your insight.
  • RMinVA
    Options

Oh no! I hope everything is okay, or at least not too hard to repair. Good Luck. I actually did end up going to the doctor. I saw a few friends who looked at it and basically forced me to go. I think I figured out my doctor issue - I have this fear that they're going to look at me like, "Why are you here? This is no big deal. Just a bruise." and then I'd be really embarrassed. It's stupid! Anyway - that was not the case this time. I actually have an evulsion fracture and I tore the ligament clear off one of the bones. Awesome. Maybe another reason I don't like going to the doctor: BAD NEWS! Anyway, I don't need a cast or surgery - they treat these things the same as sprains. Ice, elevation and keeping off of it. 6-8 weeks but if I feel better before that, he said I can do anything I want that I just have to base my activities on the pain I feel. UGH. No running for me, but I might try spinning in a few days. My family won't want me around if I can't work out.

Again - Good Luck to you, I hope it works out for the best!! Thanks for your insight.

Good thing you went to the doc. I'm sure it will be hard to sit on the sidelines for awhile.

I also run, and after swapping info w/some of my runner friends, based on my symptoms, I probably have "runners knee," which could be any number of things. But the fact that something shows up on x-ray leads me to believe my patella that is not in alignment or maybe a bit of arthritis!! GASP!! Hoping that it is not a cartilage issue...that would really suck!! I'm guessing I will be sidelilned for awhile...swimming will become my new best friend! Great time to work on upper body too!! But may have to stick to machines instead of free weights for awhile to avoid the added stress on my knee.

Still waiting on final word from my doc...she didn't have anything written up yet for her assistant to give me either, so it may be Monday before I know for sure.