Is it possible to only lose fat on certain parts of your bod

Options
I'm slightly worried here, I definitely can see a change when I look at my lower body i.e. legs downards, my legs are definitely getting slimmer but that's only because my gym only offer lower body excercise machines, upper body wise i can't see any changes, is there any chance that I'm only burning fat on these areas and not my whole body? Someone enlighten me? And any tips on how to burn fat whole body wise? I think my body's starting to look uneven

Replies

• WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    You can't focus fat loss on one area of your body...It'd be nice if you could! It's just the way your body works!
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I think it's more visible on your lower body because for most women that's where most of the weight is anyway.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I think it's highly possible that right now you are only losing fat in them area's. Keep going and it should start coming off where you want it to. I'm not sure it's to do with the exercise either. I'm beginning to resemble a mister man, losing from my arms and legs instead of my middle and i've not been doing much with my arms till recently either.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I wish it worked like that, I want to keep my breast lose the tummy and a little on my legs, and keep my buns, but it's not going to be like that, tummmy is always last and breast first to go!!!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I wish it worked like that, I want to keep my breast lose the tummy and a little on my legs, and keep my buns, but it's not going to be like that, tummmy is always last and breat first to go!!!!

I wish too! Yup, definitely noticed the first to go one. It sucks.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My friend Franny Goodrich describes it using this really cool analogy for lakes and puddles...

The body will lose fat from all over everywhere at all times! We can't change that, we can't spot reduce, we just have to live with it. Problem is, we only see fat going away from certain areas and not others. But think of this...

There is a huge lake next to the city you live in. One day, it pours down rain. After the rain stops, you see all these little puddles everywhere. Then the sun comes out and the water starts to evaporate. You notice that the puddles are getting smaller, and eventually they go away. But, what you don't notice is the lake is also getting steadily smaller. You don't notice the evaporating water from the lake because the lake is so much bigger than the puddle, and the small changes are not as noticeable even though they are happening at the exact same rate as the puddle.

The same is true of body fat. We have larger deposits around the waist, thighs, butt, etc. and smaller deposits around the chest, neck, calves, etc. So we start working out and eating better, and we see noticeable changes in the chest, neck, calves, etc. This is because there was less body fat there to begin with, and when we change our fat levels, it appears to be shrinking faster when it is really going at the same speed as every other place on the body.

That is why "trouble areas" exist. They are simply the areas of the body that have the most fat deposited in them. It doesn't mean that the fat is going away more slowly from there than other places, it just means that it will take longer for us to notice it, much like we don't notice the lake water evaporating until we are in a drought.

So just keep plugging along with diet and exercise, and you will see that it does away. Never give up!
  • taimarodriguez
    Options
    what really works for me is the plastic suit, it makes my arms nice and slim,don't use the bottom try using that while working out. you can get it at modells.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Women will almost always loose weight from their upperbody first (from appx. bottom of rib cage upwards)
    sometimes you can look very disproportionate, but eventually you will loose weight from your lower body, usually the body part you hate the most ( your butt,thighs or tummy,) will most likely be the last to go.
    dont give up, just keep working at it! :)
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My friend Franny Goodrich describes it using this really cool analogy for lakes and puddles...

The body will lose fat from all over everywhere at all times! We can't change that, we can't spot reduce, we just have to live with it. Problem is, we only see fat going away from certain areas and not others. But think of this...

There is a huge lake next to the city you live in. One day, it pours down rain. After the rain stops, you see all these little puddles everywhere. Then the sun comes out and the water starts to evaporate. You notice that the puddles are getting smaller, and eventually they go away. But, what you don't notice is the lake is also getting steadily smaller. You don't notice the evaporating water from the lake because the lake is so much bigger than the puddle, and the small changes are not as noticeable even though they are happening at the exact same rate as the puddle.

The same is true of body fat. We have larger deposits around the waist, thighs, butt, etc. and smaller deposits around the chest, neck, calves, etc. So we start working out and eating better, and we see noticeable changes in the chest, neck, calves, etc. This is because there was less body fat there to begin with, and when we change our fat levels, it appears to be shrinking faster when it is really going at the same speed as every other place on the body.

That is why "trouble areas" exist. They are simply the areas of the body that have the most fat deposited in them. It doesn't mean that the fat is going away more slowly from there than other places, it just means that it will take longer for us to notice it, much like we don't notice the lake water evaporating until we are in a drought.

So just keep plugging along with diet and exercise, and you will see that it does away. Never give up!

Well said, Lyadeia... great explanation.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

That really sums it up
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While yes, its true that you can't really remove fat "only" from one area, if you are only working your legs, they are bound to look good compared to your upper body. The reverse of guys who only workout thier upper bodies and have skinny little legs.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    While yes, its true that you can't really remove fat "only" from one area, if you are only working your legs, they are bound to look good compared to your upper body. The reverse of guys who only workout thier upper bodies and have skinny little legs.

But keep in mind that this is true for people putting on lean muscle, not losing fat. Guys who work on their chest and biceps while nothing else are already lean and are most likely eating at least 100 calories more than maintenance to put on the muscle. People trying to lose fat don't have this issue.
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Well said
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

But keep in mind that this is true for people putting on lean muscle, not losing fat. Guys who work on their chest and biceps while nothing else are already lean and are most likely eating at least 100 calories more than maintenance to put on the muscle. People trying to lose fat don't have this issue.

I guess I was meaning that she probably is losing weight all over, BUT if her legs are the only things getting worked out, it's going to be much more noticeable compared to her upper body. She's losing off her legs & she can see it, because there is muscle there. She's losing off her upper body but it looks the same because there's less muscle.
  • Akiyah
    Akiyah Posts: 57
    Options
    I have the sweat suit as well but had to stop using it because I was sweating more than normal and I would get extremely dizzy after workouts. It does work wonders though!