Lose half the week, gain the other half

Options
It's like clockwork: Sunday to Tuesday, I check the scale in the morning and find that I'm consistently losing weight every day. I'm normally at my lowest on Wednesday. Then, from Thursday to Saturday, I gain everything back (usually plus another pound on Friday) even though I haven't had any change in my diet or exercise. When my official weigh-in comes on Saturday morning, I'm EXACTLY where I started. Actually, I still might be up a half-pound. It's driving me nuts. I'm so close to just giving up. Half the week, I'm feeling great! I know I'm losing weight, I don't have to obsess with the scale, and I know I must be doing everything right. Then the other half of week, I can't stay of the damn scale because I just wanted to step on it ONCE and not see a gain, I'm tempted to stop eating again, and I. Want. To. Give. Up.

For example, here's what happened this week --

Saturday (official): 163.2
Sunday: ??? (didn't check)
Monday: 162.2
Tuesday: ??? (can't remember)
Wednesday: 161.8
Thursday: 163.2
Friday: 164.2
Saturday: ?????????? (I would bet everything that it's 163.2)

Let's not even start with the "weigh once a week" advice. I just can't do that. And, even if I did, all I would see is 163.2, 163.2, 163.2.

Anybody else have this problem? What should I do?

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I'm in the EXACT same boat as you....I've been stuck at the same weight, losing and gaining the same three pounds now for 3 weeks....I'm interested to hear any advice as well...
  • crazyears
    crazyears Posts: 50
    Options
    Okay, I don't really have any advice to help you with this. Please, please don't give up. Look at how much weight you have already lost. You can do this and you have already proven it.

Good Luck!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Maybe stop obsessing over the scale and just eat healthy.
  • lambchop1042
    lambchop1042 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem too! I think our bodies are trying to hold on to the weight. Athough I haven't lost as much as you, I think we may be having a similar issue. My hubby says I'm losing fat and gaining muscle (which actually weighs more than fat). Maybe true? No matter what, don't give up! Lifestyle change means forever not just until we hit our goal weights.

Edit: I'm now considering doing all the measurements to see if my weight is "shifting"? My pants have felt looser so maybe that's what's going on.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I would start weighing only once a week and do it in the morning before you have had anything to eat or drink and after using the restroom.
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    OMG me too! I wanted to post a thread about this but wasn't sure how to word it. I also didn't want the comments about weighing everyday either so I just didn't post.

I see my lowest weight on Saturday but then by Tuesday or Wednesday I am up 1.5 lbs! Never changing anything....eating all my calories, even eating back my exercise calories, and still I gain! NUTS! I am going crazy and not sure really what to do at this point.
  • vibegirl
    vibegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    have you done measurements at all? I'm feeling a bit better with clothes fitting a bit better (I'm only a couple weeks into this! lol). I've been pretty much on the mark with the calories...exercise is about 4-5 days a week at this point...but sometimes thngs get in the way and I can't fit it in...I've decided guilt is pretty much a wasted and useless emotion! lol Seriously - feeling crappy doesn't help with letting go of the weight...so perhaps just being kinder to your body in general during those times you feel no progress. Ie...nice bath..massage if affordable...new haircolor (do it yourself)...and even try a new food/fruit/recipe/restaurant...just to treat yourself.
    Anyway...prob not the answer you were looking for. OH..the other thing is watching that time of month...I can hold water for 2 weeks of the month and need to drink more...so that does NOT help either!
  • jscook54
    jscook54 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am certainly not an expert, but did lose 35 pounds last year on the old weight watcher points system. I had similar problems and I would change something. Either change the exercise I was doing or the amount-- or change what I was eating for breakfast. SOmetimes I would lessen or stop my exercise for a week and then start up again and the loss would start again. It just seems like CHANGING SOMETHING helped me.

I congratulate you on your fabulous success. Good luck.
  • flabfighter31
    flabfighter31 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I got stuck for 3 weeks i found that a change in my exercise routine did the trick i didn't do a mass amount extra just change from all workouts to workout and swimming, for me now its the school hols i can take my kids ice skating so i will change it again to ice skating and swimming it just i thought but i think your body gets used to the kind of exercise it gets and decides your not pushing it hard enough to lose the weight well thats my thought and good luck
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Actually, I have just made a change in my workouts. I'm walking outside for 60-90 minutes, doing the 30DS, and yoga instead of "walk-at-home" videos, stair climbing, and P90X. I'm also about to start C25K.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Sort of the same but only because on the weekends i have to go to other peoples houses and eat there foods. Or we will eat out. I need to control myself a bit more. Have you thought about changing your weigh in to a Wed? On weekends when the meals change i try to stay active with the families i visit. We g out and play before and after dinner. I did that last weekend i was able to have pie because of it. :)
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I am in the EXACT same boat as you.....I thought maybe I should add an additional 150 calories and change up my work outs to throw my body off...so far....I have gained another 1.5 pounds! Gone from 144 to 147.6!!!???? WTH?? If you finally break your yo-yo-Scale streak please share the weath! It makes me want to give up to! And starve! Ugh.... Trust me sweetie you are not alone... :flowerforyou:
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Try relaxing for a couple of days. Seriously. Relaxing. Hang out. Watch TV. Meditate. Get a massage. Have a yoga/massage/water slide/steamroom day. Ooo! That sounds good.

Tension and stress can be a reason for your body to hang onto weight and cause a perceived plateau, which can be self-perpetuating as you stress over it. Just a thought.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou: