So yeah, this MFP/CICO is just crazy enough to work!

Options
RollTideTri
RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Just wanted to say how impressed I am with this site and program. Started early January. Put 1.5 lbs lost per week as my goal. So far I've lost 23lbs. in 3 months, so pretty much exactly what MFP predicted. Everyone kind of has their own "system" within the system, so here's mine. Not saying this is the best way or even a good way. YMMV, etc.
  • I didn't stop eating any certain types of foods. I still eat pizza, hamburgers, and other "bad" stuff on occasion. Just less of it and less often.
  • I do eat much less snack foods like chips, because they are calorie dense and don't fill me up. I like to feel full if I can
  • I drink one or 2 diet sodas a day. (GASP!). I rarely drink any calories, outside of a glass of 1% milk occasionally. I'd much rather "spend" calories on food I can chew
  • I eat a good bit of processed food because it's convenient and I'm lazy. Judge if you must :smile:
  • I average 600-1000 calories a day in exercise (triathlon training), and eat 75-100% of those back
  • I log each meal, but am not obsessive about it. I weigh some things, just to get an idea of the portion size, then eyeball it after that. I mostly use the log as a sanity check that I'm staying within my calories. If I stop losing I'll track more closely.
  • I weigh once a week, Monday morning after I get out of bed. Some weeks I've lost 4 lbs, some weeks none. But I trust it to average out, and it has so far.
  • I tend to eat 75% of my calories after 6pm. Not because of anything trendy like IF, I just like to have my calories to spend in the evening when I'm at home. It's easy to not eat at work when I'm distracted :)
  • I don't do "cheat" days, though I will bank some calories during the week when I know I'm going out for a big meal or whatever
  • I don't watch my macros that closely, though I do try to keep each meal < 160 carbs. Helps regulate my blood sugar.

I've gotten great tips and motivation from these forums. Anyone just starting out, it DOES work, trust the system and be honest in your logging. :smiley:

Replies

• cheer4beer
    cheer4beer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Way to go! It's amazing how simple it is once we are paying attention to ourselves. I learned that I was a very bad estimator and tracking has shown me the way. Truly an eye-opening experience. Keep up the good work!
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    This is a great post!! I started this journey January of last year, and am down about 86 pounds just counting calories, eating less, and logging about 95% of what I eat. It's not brain surgery; it's a lifestyle change. Good luck in your journey :)
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I love it! You certainly have the right idea, keep up the good work!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Yeah, counting calories works very well for me also. It's like the final piece in the puzzle. I never have shortage of willpower and ways to deal with issues but before the calorie days I was just confused and goal-less.

I wouldn't say it's a lifestyle change for me. I just...eat less..and know the amounts. Still enjoy going out, pigging out, beef and all those sinful foods. :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating most calories at night. A big reason I was so bad at losing weight in the past, was because I was told by everyone, "don't eat after dinner because it turns to fat," and I can not go to sleep hungry, so I would end up bingeing. When I found out that doesn't matter, I lost an instant 10 pounds ( well in 2 months, it felt instant though).

Congrats on the loss. Keep it up
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating most calories at night. A big reason I was so bad at losing weight in the past, was because I was told by everyone, "don't eat after dinner because it turns to fat," and I can not go to sleep hungry, so I would end up bingeing. When I found out that doesn't matter, I lost an instant 10 pounds ( well in 2 months, it felt instant though).

Congrats on the loss. Keep it up

Exactly the same for me. "They" always said it's not good to eat at night but going to sleep hungry is not an option for me. When I started MFP I decided to only focus on calories per day, and don't sweat any of the other stuff. Working so far.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Gratz breh
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I could have wrote that post, except for watching my carbs and the eyeballing but, yep, that's about how I see it! :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Love this! Congrats!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    You should be impressed with you. MFP is just a tool, you are the one that used it and made great choices!
  • reevess113
    reevess113 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm down 11 pounds doing basically the same thing, without so much exercise - 3x/week is all typically, plus walking every day. In jest, we call it the miracle diet - eat less, weigh less. But it really is a lifestyle change. Congrats!
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I LOVE saving most of my calories for dinner!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Great post. Proof that you don't need to turn your life upside-down to lose weight. I did many of the same things and have lost 55+ lbs and kept it off for over 2 years. Keep up the good work!
  • ralexhou82
    ralexhou82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post as well - except for the training for a triathlon. It really is as easy as "Eat less, move more."