The worst advice I've ever received from a nutritionist/dietitian/doctor about diet is...

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I went to a dietitian when I was 20 and he convinced me that my TDEE was 1300 calories. I was 20, 5'5", and around 170 pounds at the time... So he put me on that 'elimination diet' where you basically eat all the veggies and 'fromage blanc' that you want for a week, then every other week he adds something new that you can eat (like a piece of meat). I lost 30 pounds in like 2 months, then started working full time and it was just completely impossible to follow that diet, so I gained it all back plus friends and lovely stretch marks in 3 months.

The worst part is that I was convinced for 14 years after that that my metabolism sucked anyway so why bother...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    fileshiny wrote: »
    sbl1881 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks whole foods/food groups such as fruits or grains should be eliminated, but it's ok to have a pound of bacon with your 6 scrambled cheesy eggs. Sorry, Atkins fans! It's about moderation and CICO for those of us that are just looking to be healthy.

Well, a pound of anything is unlikely to be healthy in one meal.

*blink*

An average-sized spaghetti squash is 3-4 lbs around here, and is usually used to make a 2-serving entree or 4-serving side dish. It's not at all unusual to eat a pound of watermelon in a sitting. I'll eat a pound of tomatoes or cucumbers with no problem. Those items are largely water, anyway.
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    sbl1881 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks whole foods/food groups such as fruits or grains should be eliminated, but it's ok to have a pound of bacon with your 6 scrambled cheesy eggs. Sorry, Atkins fans! It's about moderation and CICO for those of us that are just looking to be healthy.

Well, a pound of anything is unlikely to be healthy in one meal.

*blink*

An average-sized spaghetti squash is 3-4 lbs around here, and is usually used to make a 2-serving entree or 4-serving side dish. It's not at all unusual to eat a pound of watermelon in a sitting. I'll eat a pound of tomatoes or cucumbers with no problem. Those items are largely water, anyway.

To each his own.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    My parents took me to see a doctor about my weight when I was in my teens. The doctor himself was, shall we say "ample". He gave me a book full of awful diet recipes (baked apples with diet soda, that kind of thing) and insisted that I should start running as soon as I could. Yeah, that lasted for all of 2 days.

My mom makes those baked apples with diet soda lol.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    My parents took me to see a doctor about my weight when I was in my teens. The doctor himself was, shall we say "ample". He gave me a book full of awful diet recipes (baked apples with diet soda, that kind of thing) and insisted that I should start running as soon as I could. Yeah, that lasted for all of 2 days.

I make chicken breasts with ketchup and diet Dr, Pepper. They actually are really good.
  • livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I visited a nutritionist who was very obviously overweight. I mean... Enough said.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, you are only 40 lbs. overweight. :#
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I was told by a nurse to cut down on lifting and increase my cardio. At the time, I was lifting with a trainer 3 times a week and cardio 2X. She wanted me to do cardio 4X a week and decrease my lifting. This was a nurse who I was required to speak to for our wellness program at work!
  • fileshiny
    Options
    MaddyT122 wrote: »
    I was told by a nurse to cut down on lifting and increase my cardio. At the time, I was lifting with a trainer 3 times a week and cardio 2X. She wanted me to do cardio 4X a week and decrease my lifting. This was a nurse who I was required to speak to for our wellness program at work!

Yep, that's pretty bad.
    earlnabby wrote: »

I make chicken breasts with ketchup and diet Dr, Pepper. They actually are really good.

Totally speechless on this.
  • fernbusby
    fernbusby Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My mum was told by her doctor that if she continues to be a vegetarian, she will end up 'doubly incontinent' (my mum has been veggie over 30 years and is ultra healthy, in shape, doesn't eat processed food, doesn't smoke, rarely drinks etc, exercises regularly and teaches yoga, she was just having some random stomach pains, and has never, ever, even been slightly incontinent lol )
    What an idiot. I don't even think he's a real Dr..
  • fileshiny
    Options
    fernbusby wrote: »
    My mum was told by her doctor that if she continues to be a vegetarian, she will end up 'doubly incontinent' (my mum has been veggie over 30 years and is ultra healthy, in shape, doesn't eat processed food, doesn't smoke, rarely drinks etc, exercises regularly and teaches yoga, she was just having some random stomach pains, and has never, ever, even been slightly incontinent lol )

What is "Double incontinence"? Incontinence that makes your head explode?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Dude what.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

Double incontinence means unable to control both bladder and bowel. That's a real bit of terminology, but the connection with being vegetarian is just loopy (not a technical term!)
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    when i expressed concern for my inability to lose weight due to meds, my psychiatrist said, "does your husband still find you attractive?"
    i said yes

dr. said, "then don't worry about your weight or size." :o
  • fileshiny
    Options
    when i expressed concern for my inability to lose weight due to meds, my psychiatrist said, "does your husband still find you attractive?"
    i said yes

dr. said, "then don't worry about your weight or size." :o

Oh man (literally)!
  • fileshiny
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »

Double incontinence means unable to control both bladder and bowel. That's a real bit of terminology, but the connection with being vegetarian is just loopy (not a technical term!)

As a vegetarian for the past 30 years, I agree that's loopy!
  • motivated310
    motivated310 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    They told me to only put cream cheese on one side of a bagel but I think she should have just told me to cut out bagels entirely because I end up wanting more than one or one with something else.