Staying on track during depression. Help.

Options
I'm 21 years old, I started my weightloss journey Jan 1, 2015. My mom passed away dec 2015. I'm having an extremely difficult time staying on track. I haven't gained any weight but I also haven't made any progress with toning or the goals I wanted to achieve this year. I am a little bit depressed so getting to the gym is an everyday battle with my mind.. Anyone who has any encouraging words or helpful tips for getting through grief & accomplishing goals. Thank you.

Replies

• DakotaG96
    DakotaG96 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First off I'm so sorry for the loss! There isn't anything like loosing someone close to you!
    I can say it will be tough trying to take your mind off of this tragic event but the gym can help you do that! It has helped me tremendously after I went through a pretty rough spell with depression.
    Feel free to add me if you want I don't mind messaging and all that!
    Hope you can get through this:)!
  • dbobb77
    dbobb77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's never easy to lose anyone and like many, we all have lost someone but it makes it easy to cope with if you have a strong support system to help you get through this. I pushed ppl away, thought i could handle it myself and man was that a bad idea. Take your mother's memory and use it as your strength.
    Every time im at the gym or im in a bind or i struggle with something, i use my grandfather as my support, he would always push me to be ny best, to pick me up to keep going and i feel he does that for me still to this day.
    It doesn't get easier but it does get better, stay strong, stay positive and always carry your head up high. There are many ppl here to help you through your journey, never be afraid to ask for help.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

Losing someone close to you is really hard.

I think doing what feels good for you is the most important.
    It's ok to have not have reached your fitness goals during such a difficult time.
    It's heavy losing someone so close to you and sometimes will take years to feel better... don't be hard on yourself.
    Do what you can, take it a day at a time.
    Some days are harder than others.
    Sometimes grief comes in waves.

I think it is remarkable that you haven't gained a bunch of weight.

If you feel up to it, get some good music in your headphones and something to wear that makes you feel comfortable, and usually 99% of the time after you finish your workout you will feel better.
    Those endorphins will kick in and make you feel better.