Public food scale usage?

Options
DeficitDuchess
DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I've had a food scale, since I began my journey; last year but I wasn't ready to use it and/or log. I lost 20 pounds in 6 months but then my health declined & I wasn't adjusting well, so I gained 15 pounds; in 2 months. I was only able to maintain last month but this month, I began using my food scale & logging. (Hence the various accounts, I've created & deleted; for those that might recognize me) I haven't used my food scale in public yet, simply because I have to buy a more compact 1, just for traveling. I am not shy & I have no shame, therefore I'm not apprehensive about being embarrassed. However that doesn't mean, that I'd welcome any insulting situations because of using it either. I've just been curious about those whom do use theirs publicly, the type (if any) attention; you've received & how you dealt with or responded, to any ridicule, observance and/or inquiries? Also if like I, you haven't used it publicly, would you?

Replies

• troutlilly
    troutlilly Posts: 44 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    TBH I could see how using a food scale in public could create a lot of controversy.

Imagine if you used you food scale and were at a party of a family gathering of some sort. I'm Indo-Caribbean and if I did that at a family party or relation's house-- oh lawd! There would be so many aunties in my hair. I can already imagine it now:

"What my food is so bad you have to measure it?"
    "Look at how this girl has no shame" (obviously lol)
    "Why do these American kids always have to watch what they eat...we grew up on this food and we don't have problems" (says the overweight aunty)

My mom: "what's wrong with you?"

(shudders) Shouldn't have gone there.

I'm partially speaking in jest, but I do think some people might think the same things. I wish there was a way to transport a light weight food scale that looked inconspicuous or pretty. People would definitely ask if you whip out a black or gray food scale, but you always have to wonder if you offend your host. I will admit I did sneak it out of town to visit family, but I used it ever so discreetly. What does your food scale look like, and how would you transport it? A lot of food scales are sensitive and if you don't store them flat, it messes them up.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have a scale at home and a scale at work and I really do not care who see's me use it. If your are overweight then it is obvious anyways. Even now that I am much more fit than I used to be I just tell people I closely monitor what I put in my body because I have past issues with being very overweight and it helps me keep things in check. It is way less embarrassing than just being in public when I was 270 Lbs. Use your scale and meet your goals, when you meet your goals and are looking as hot as you wanna be and keep logging and using your scale cause you wanna, you will not be embarrassed at all
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I take a travel scale with me and I use it. The only comments I've gotten are asking what I'm doing and I explain to which the asker is "neat"; and "It has a tare function?!?" No one has said anything negative about me weighing foods in public, strangers or family. The only negativity I've received is from people on MFP who continually tell me I have disordered eating because I weigh my restaurant food when I'm out eating. These are the same people who will tell you weigh every thing you eat or you don't have an accurate track of your calories.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I have used my scale in public ( not all the time ) but I have done it.
    Don't worry about what others say. Like the poster Shelley said above, its nobody else's business . who cares what people think. If you want to do it then go for it!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I think using a scale.is like using training wheels to learn to ride a bike. Eventually you build up.enough confidence to take the training wheels off. If you measure out an ounce of cheese enough times you learn what an ounce looks like.

I use a scale at home.

Regarding using a scale in public it doesn't seem practical. At restaurants so many of the ingredients are combined into the recipe the measurement wouldn't mean anything. If I order a burger am I supposed.to deconstruct the burger in order to.weigh the individual items?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I haven't used one in public, except at family members' house - and then I was using their scale so it wasn't too weird.

However, I never had a problem losing, either. If I had and needed to get really accurate logging data, then I'd have done it.

Not at any fancy restaurants, of course. Those meals I don't bother to estimate, other than 'over - by a lot'.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. But I'm neither overweight nor training for a certain BFP or fitness level so the difference isn't wholey substantial to me.

Also, as a former anorexic, I do think it would make me look like I was getting obsessive again or falling into old habits. I like to keep things casual.

But you do bring up a good point, I think our culture really hates "trying." Be beautiful, but don't have cosmetic surgery or wear a lot of makeup. Be thin, but don't diet. It's frustrating.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use one for everything at home, but not in public. My friends and family would be shipping me off to a disordered eating clinic if they saw me do that. It drives my husband nuts that I weigh food at home, he would get up and leave if I whipped out a scale while out to dinner.

Also, how on earth would you weigh a meal in a restaurant? Say you get a plate of chips, salad and a steak, do you ask for a spare plate so you can transfer it all while you are weighing it one at a time?
  • The313
    The313 Posts: 3,145 Member
    Options
    Places where you think they are misleading with their portions sizes on high calorie foods where it could get totally out of control, yep. I'm looking at you 5 Guys, with your "serving" of french fries.

The only thing said to me was, can I use that too?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale at home but not in public. I don't like carrying a lot of stuff with me when I go out. I eat almost all of my meals prepared from home so the occasional meal where I guesstimate isn't that big of a deal.
    If I saw someone using one I wouldn't say anything to them but I would think that they were being a bit obsessive or attention seeking.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    troutlilly wrote: »
    TBH I could see how using a food scale in public could create a lot of controversy.

Imagine if you used you food scale and were at a party of a family gathering of some sort. I'm Indo-Caribbean and if I did that at a family party or relation's house-- oh lawd! There would be so many aunties in my hair. I can already imagine it now:

"What my food is so bad you have to measure it?"
    "Look at how this girl has no shame" (obviously lol)
    "Why do these American kids always have to watch what they eat...we grew up on this food and we don't have problems" (says the overweight aunty)

My mom: "what's wrong with you?"

(shudders) Shouldn't have gone there.

I'm partially speaking in jest, but I do think some people might think the same things. I wish there was a way to transport a light weight food scale that looked inconspicuous or pretty. People would definitely ask if you whip out a black or gray food scale, but you always have to wonder if you offend your host. I will admit I did sneak it out of town to visit family, but I used it ever so discreetly. What does your food scale look like, and how would you transport it? A lot of food scales are sensitive and if you don't store them flat, it messes them up.

Your jest, is hilariously realistic though! I'd tell people I know, that I am offended; that they're offended!

I didn't know that food scales could mess up, if they aren't flat. So when I took mine today (my kitchen food scale, I didn't buy the portable 1 yet), I made sure it was flat, by carrying it in my frozen food shopping bag; since it has a flat bottom.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    DerekVTX wrote: »
    I have a scale at home and a scale at work and I really do not care who see's me use it. If your are overweight then it is obvious anyways. Even now that I am much more fit than I used to be I just tell people I closely monitor what I put in my body because I have past issues with being very overweight and it helps me keep things in check. It is way less embarrassing than just being in public when I was 270 Lbs. Use your scale and meet your goals, when you meet your goals and are looking as hot as you wanna be and keep logging and using your scale cause you wanna, you will not be embarrassed at all

I agree but I was just curious, not embarrassed.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I don't bother. I just estimate or go based off the menu nutrition info. In the grand scheme of things, more than 95% of my meals are prepared by myself, and as long as those are reasonably accurate, the inaccuracy in the other 5% isn't going to derail me.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited April 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I take a travel scale with me and I use it. The only comments I've gotten are asking what I'm doing and I explain to which the asker is "neat"; and "It has a tare function?!?" No one has said anything negative about me weighing foods in public, strangers or family. The only negativity I've received is from people on MFP who continually tell me I have disordered eating because I weigh my restaurant food when I'm out eating. These are the same people who will tell you weigh every thing you eat or you don't have an accurate track of your calories.

I believe that those people, consider it extreme, rather than strict and/or dedicated. For me, it makes sense to use a food scale publicly; if the eatery has nutrition information available. If it doesn't it, doesn't make sense; to me because I'll still have to guesstimate something.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I don't weigh my food in public, but I do at home. It just wouldn't work in my life, however the weighing at home and seeing the portion sizes over and over again is helpful when I am out and about. I also know that when I am at a restaurant or eating food prepared by others that I need to estimate. The more I can limit what I estimate...the better.

If I did weigh in public and people decided to ridicule me...well, I am pretty good at removing mean girls from my life who think making fun of others is their form of entertainment. If people think it is strange and have questions that are genuine...I'd answer once, but if it continues...I'd remind them that what I eat and how I eat it...is my business. I'd have the same strategy when people try to be food pushers or try to belittle or mock that I watch what I eat....I make it clear that I am in charge of what I food in my face.

Oh I know that you have no tolerance for meanness, I've witnessed you defend; a lot of people here! o:)
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I have used my scale in public ( not all the time ) but I have done it.
    Don't worry about what others say. Like the poster Shelley said above, its nobody else's business . who cares what people think. If you want to do it then go for it!

I'd only care what other's think, if it's positive but I don't care to be inconvenienced, by someone else's potential negativity either.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Also, how on earth would you weigh a meal in a restaurant? Say you get a plate of chips, salad and a steak, do you ask for a spare plate so you can transfer it all while you are weighing it one at a time?

Short: yes. Sometimes, I use the plates provided for the appetizer (they're there no matter if we order one or not).

If there aren't any plates around, I use the tare function and weigh as I eat since I'm a separate foods eater. No, I'm not Vulcan.