Help :)

Options
I'm really trying to get serious with my fitness goals, and I am still new to this and need some support! My family is NOT encouraging. I am from East TN where everything food is fried, socialized, and comes in big packages! Haha

About me.... I'm in RN school and currently working as an LPN in the home health field. I am married with 2 dogs and 2 cats. I love animals :) I used to run a lot, but I just up and quit 2 years ago. I just got a new workout program and am really wanted to buckle down. My main goal is just to look and feel stronger and healthier.

PLEASE feel free to add me and let's share out journey together!

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you! I'd be happy to buddy up and help you along your journey! I'll send you a buddy invite
  • ksirwin817
    ksirwin817 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    My husband is 7-8 inches taller than me and of course eats a ton more than I can. I've found the trick is to match him in the times we eat, and to a limited extent in the things we eat, but I eat much less overall, and my proportions of entree to side veg are different. It turns out I can socialize easily with people eating very differently from myself as long as I keep these principles in mind. It helps to have a big, low-calorie-density salad to munch on while others are eating bread, cheese, etc. If it's a big gathering and it's appropriate to bring a dish, I opt for a salad or simple veg side dish (i.e., not covered in cream, gravy, or cheese). Portion control is important, too: I may be eating the same Thanksgiving dinner as everyone else, but I have dabs of this and that instead of plates full. A serving size for me now is likely 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup. At a restaurant, I often order an appetizer and even then I'll probably put half of it in a to-go container before I start eating. When we hang out with neighbors in the evening, I bring a bottle of club soda and a little fruit juice to mix with it, so I'll have something to sip from a wineglass.

The biggest thing may be not to eat impulsively. At home, of course, I'm planning my own meals and usually logging them first to see what I can fit in the budget. At a party or restaurant, it's trickier, but I still think through the whole amount I can eat while I'm there instead of munching on whatever is handed to me or comes within arms' reach. Party food adds up fast. Most of the food available at a party has to be put in the category of "stuff that has nothing to do with me today"--as if it were food on a stranger's plate at a restaurant two tables away.
  • Beefjerky8
    Beefjerky8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well I think you have to buy some new shoes and get running again . Sounds like food hell!

The best way I found is to speak to your partner and family and tell them what you are wanting to do and tell them your goals and have them understand your new healthy choices. This makes a big difference, then you will be serious!
    It's a journey