Irresistible curiosity about new foods?

Options
Leoess
Leoess Posts: 20 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Even if I know that thing in front of me isn't good for me, I haven't had it before and want (NEED) to try it.

It's not even necessarily about new dishes; obviously I've no issue with expanding my palate. This happens even with new VARIETIES of things. Like I know powdered doughnuts are good, but I just couldn't resist testing out the artificial Great Value brand my brother has in the pantry. Now I have no wiggle room for dinner; I'm going to be over today because I wanted to know how good those cheap doughnuts are.

I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I like knowing what is and isn't worth spending my calories on, but I kick myself whenever I give into something I know isn't very healthy or high-quality. Walmart doughnuts, a different flavor of the same school pizza that made me feel ill last time I had it....I can't help it. My "curiosity" overpowers my common sense.

Anyone else deal with this? How can I fight it?

Replies

• emmincontrol
    emmincontrol Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am also very curious by nature. The first thing I do is ask people for their opinion before getting too curious. Generally speaking, most people I know don't rave about MOST of the food they eat. It just seems more appetizing when you know you can't try it. If it turns out that the reviews are spectacular, 9 out of 10 times it's easily obtainable in the future when you can plan around it. There's no national emergency forcing you to try it right then and there.
    If it's a once in a lifetime treat, then I go ahead and try it because life is short.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bad habit.
    Bad habits can be broken w practice.
    I've bought and ate cheap Walmart donuts before, the powdered sugar kind and regretted "wasting my calories" on such non-tasty food.
    Now I know not to buy them again, just not worth it to me. I'd rather have something I like.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I ask myself before hand, if I eat this will I regret it later. I do not really want to try many new things. I am a creature of habit. Anything red velvet excites me. I looked at the red velvet oreos about 4 times in the store before I actually bought them . So I finally gave in and bought them. I ate 4 a night for a few nights. Then I realized they were not even good. They taste nothing like red velvet and that was calories I could eat somewhere else. I kept a few, that are still in my fridge, and I gave the rest away.
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Mind over matter just like any other habit
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I like to try things, but I buy knowing I have no intention of finishing it if it sucks. Either I let my husband or kid have at it or I throw it in the trash.

You can try things without needing to eat more than a bite or one or two pieces. I do this all the time. Often it sucks, so the decision is easy to stop. When it is actually really good, I might make the calories fit or come back to it later.
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I can resist trying some stuff, but if I buy it from the grocery store, I MUST try it that day, like driving home from the store... I try to not buy new stuff unless I KNOW I can control it.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of trying new things, even if they aren't "New." You ate a donut, maybe two. It was awful and next time you see a box youll know you don't want them. Log the calories, go for a walk if you're feeling that torn up about it and earn some cals back. Life is life. I am a big fan of trying the same thing in a new presentation, you can't know if you will or will not like something, why risk missing out on the best donut ever?! :grin:

Next time, see if you can share it with someone. Whatever "it" is. I bought dark chocolate sea salt caramels because I just wanted to try one. The rest are sitting overhead, luckily I didn't enjoy them as much as I had hoped. I nearly feel compelled to eat them because they are just sitting there, and hubby only eats 1 a day - he enjoys them and actually savors them, by eating the piece so excruciatingly annoyingly slow. I have no idea how he has such self control. ANYWAY- so they just sit there. Taking up space, until hubby finishes them. Someday. =| I do not regret trying the new food, just the money spent cause they weren't doing samples that day :lol: I def don't regret the cals spent cause it would've bugged me (I love sea salt caramel!) Now it doesn't bug me and Im happy to move on :smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Perhaps transition your curiosity about food in better directions, like get curious about trying a new vegetable or healthy dish or maybe experimenting with cooking a new cuisine. I mean, if you know something probably isn't great or much different than what you know (like Walmart donuts), why bother?

I love trying new things, but usually that means being an adventurous eater, not being unable to resist something just because I haven't had it before. (I recommend Jeffrey Steingarten's The Man Who Ate Everything too. He starts by explaining how when he became a food critic he decided he couldn't be influenced by personal dislikes, so decided he would teach himself to like everything.)