My fellow Sweet tooths

Options
How do you stay away from the sweets? It's one of my biggest struggles.

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Have enough to curb it while still fitting into my calories. I recommend single serve options for ice cream, snacks, etc. A little more pricey but for me it helped portion control otherwise I would always eat more than the serving size if I scooped ice cream myself. On purpose. Even though I was weighing it. I'm such a jerk.
    It came to my attention the other day that I had actually gotten better at it (I have moments) when I didn't even want a piece of chocolate.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's so hard for me! I could eat chocolate all day, lol. I try not to have it in the house. The only kind I let myself keep in our house is the chocolate chip granola bars or the fiber one oat bars. I find having one helps me.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Options
    And with the Easter candy, that got put into a bag and sent with my husband to work to give to his coworkers. LoL!!
  • slw19
    slw19 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    find something that satisfies you and fits into your calories and macros. also, serving size is key so you don't keep eating it:) good luck.
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I actually bought gummy vitamins to help my sweet tooth. I usually crave sweets after supper so I take my vitamins and it helps curb it.
  • lperry1725
    lperry1725 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's so hard for me! I could eat chocolate all day, lol. I try not to have it in the house. The only kind I let myself keep in our house is the chocolate chip granola bars or the fiber one oat bars. I find having one helps me.

Good idea! Chocolate is usually my biggest craving!

• lperry1725
    lperry1725 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Have enough to curb it while still fitting into my calories. I recommend single serve options for ice cream, snacks, etc. A little more pricey but for me it helped portion control otherwise I would always eat more than the serving size if I scooped ice cream myself. On purpose. Even though I was weighing it. I'm such a jerk.
    It came to my attention the other day that I had actually gotten better at it (I have moments) when I didn't even want a piece of chocolate.

I'm like that too! I always give myself a little more. I just try not to buy it. But then I give up on this eating well shenanigans so quick because of my sweet cravings.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm a chocolate fiend and have found my happy place with very dark chocolate, 85-90%. I get the Lindt bars and a serving is a nice flat square which I can nibble on for a good 30 minutes or so, and I very very rarely go back for more.

Fruity herbal teas can do the trick for me too.

Although honestly, there's some stuff I just can't keep in the house still, so I just don't.
  • Cyndiaquino
    edited April 2016
    Options
    lperry1725 wrote: »

Good idea! Chocolate is usually my biggest craving!

Yes, it's so tough. It does get easier as you go. I don't know how long you have been doing MFP, but for me, it just started to get easier with my self control over chocolate. And I have been doing this for almost 8 months, lol.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, I'm less likely to give up the diet if I incorporate some sweets into my day. Fudge pops are about 40 calories each. Jello pudding cups, chocolate-flavored Greek yogurt, a single serving of chocolate chips, Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches, some protein bars, etc are all in the 50-170 calories range. I can fit something sweet in daily and it makes it easier for me to stick with.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have a HUGE sweet tooth too. A few tricks--buy a pretty high quality dark chocolate bar and have one square. I never thought I could actually do that, but I can. Whole Foods makes these two popsicles--one is carrot-tangerine and one is a tropical greens one. 100 calories for a full size popsicle and they are yummy. There are also these tea pops (forget the brand-but Whole Foods carries them) that are also yummy and only 70 calories. Fat free pudding cups. Fat free jello cups. Trader Joe's sells these cookies--they are like super thin crispy things in lemon, coconut, ginger and one other flavor I can't think of and they are like 120 calories for 8 or some amazingly large amount of cookies. Those are awesome because I feel like I am actually getting a big dessert and they are so good with a cup of tea. Chocolate covered banana slices--120 calories for 5, not bad. Chocolate sorbet tends to have less calories than ice cream but still delish. Chocolate covered almonds--at least there is some value in the almond! I will be checking this thread for more tips--sweets are my biggest weakness. Chips can sit in my house for days and I could not care less. Cookies, pie, scones, muffins, cake--forget it. So little self control...
  • Sailor_Moon86
    Sailor_Moon86 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just budget for it. Check my diary lol. I can't live without chocolate and cookies and and cake and ice cream. I eat more than I should- I stay within my goals but I need more healthy food.
  • drcrusher
    drcrusher Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I always try to make sure I have a spare 200 calories by the end of the day. Usually I don't eat them, but it means I can fit in something else if I'm craving it. Dark chocolate is a great idea. My favourite thing is to have one chocolate liqueur -- nice dark chocolate with a little boozy hit! I find one is enough, and the ones I get are 50 calories I think :)
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I began working out so that I could "earn" enough calories for my sweets after I meet my macros. I know artificial sweeteners are demonized here but they've been my saving grace. I consume a lot of sugar free and/or fat free pudding, jello, ice cream and cookies after I have met my protein, vegetable and fruit servings.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I go with a combination of not buying things that really aren't good for me (family size block of regular chocolate, large pack of timtams, family size creamy cakes etc) and fitting in some lower cal/better-for-me options to my diary on a regular basis.
    I do still have cakes and other treats etc from time to time, but I look for a smaller pack so they aren't too tempting and don't hang around too long.

- I bought some Lindt 90% dark chocolate a while ago, and have been enjoying a piece of that from time to time - it's not very sweet, but it's seriously chocolatey.
    - I like low-cal hot choc drinks - I usually buy Jarrah hot chocolate mix sachets which are 47 - 62 cals when made with water only. I often have one of them after lunch at work. It's tasty and feels like a treat, and unlike most artificially sweetened stuff, it doesn't taste revolting or have a nasty aftertaste.
    - I also bought some Smooze frozen coconut/pineapple iceblocks a while ago and have enjoyed a couple of those after dinner too - under 100 cals and they are delicious.
    - Oh, and at easter I really wanted a delicious toasted hot cross bun with butter and honey. Instead of buying a supermarket pack of 6, I went to the bakery and bought just 2 instead and enjoyed one of them, then ended up tossing the other one a few days later. Not that the hot cross bun itself is terrible, but I like them with more butter and honey that really fits in my calories for the day very well.
  • 31Proverbs1717
    31Proverbs1717 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You may need more calcium magnesium taken in supplement form. It has helped me so much to not crave chocolate. Ephesians 532
  • voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love Halo Top ice cream (variety of flavors) because you COULD eat the entire pint for ~250cal. There is a bit of an alcohol-sweet-burn that may be off-putting to some, but I don't mind it. I have yet to finish the pint (the chocolate is delicious).

Other than that, it is a case-by-case type thing: some days are more difficult but I resist temptations annnnnnnd some days there can be NO cookies in the house. :smile:
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Look at my avatar, I don't.
    Seriously though I save calories for sweets. Nothing is off limits.
  • kalm3
    kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I've discovered for myself is not having it in the house. I've heard this said for years, but I'm just now sticking to it. That is half the battle for me. My current issue is after dinner I crave sweets. Some nights I have peppermint tea with 2 sugars. And I'm developing a habit of having 1/2-1 cup of cereal (honey bunches of oats or Frosted Flakes with 1/2 cup 1% milk) I just had it :| feeling like I shouldn't have ugh.

Going to try the above suggestion of dark chocolate though I don't know how enjoyable it'll be for my milk chocolate sweet tooth. Lol

• positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

Look at my avatar, I don't.
    Seriously though I save calories for sweets. Nothing is off limits.

Me too. Avoiding sweets just sounds like sadness.