Eating Better and Working out more

Options
valeriemarie1987
valeriemarie1987 Posts: 5 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I struggle with eating healthy and working out after a long day at work. I can do pretty well for a week, but lose my motivation quickly. I'm exhausted and tired, but thought if I put this out there, I might hold myself more accountable. I've prepped my healthy meals and snacks for the rest of the week, now I just need to do the same the week after.

Any suggestions that work for you to eat healthy and hit the gym after work?

Replies

• TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Maybe exercise before work instead? I found working out in the morning gave me energy but I don't have a problem getting it in in the evening so that's what I do:)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your effort. If you are exhausted & tired, it would suggest you could be eating too little and working out too hard. Pace yourself on workouts, shorter and/or less intensity. Reduce calories gradually and dont eat less than 1200-1500 per day, more on work out days. I've steadily lost 137 lbs eating about 1700 per day. The less you have to lose, the slower the weekly loss should be. Read the sticky posts at the top of each MFP forum for lots of info on tracking your calories.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Small cup of coffee helps me after work and before my workout.
  • jessicalynneastone
    jessicalynneastone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't give myself any time to sit down when I get home from class. If I sit down, I won't go to the gym. So before my day starts I have everything in my car ready to go to the gym
  • valeriemarie1987
    valeriemarie1987 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! @jessicalynneastone I think that's my main issue! I have some protein packed snacks for energy. And I think some coffee might give me the extra kick I need @NaturalNancy .
  • knoxjkk
    knoxjkk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Regarding motivation to go to the gym...
    I do not think you have a motivation problem, you may have a commitment problem, i.e. you are already motivated to lose weight, but you have not committed to doing what it takes and going to the gym. Alternatively or in combination with that, you may be trying or thinking you have to do something at the gym that is above your skill level or above your athletic ability. The remedy to that is to think of the absolute, most simple exercise you know you can commit to and do x times a week. If getting in an hour of gym time seems daunting or overwhelming, can you atleast take a 20 minute walk around the block? Whatever it is--find the simplest thing and do it. Once that becomes routine, you will probably find yourself doing more and more out of boredom lol.

That is my suggestion and it is a mistake to buy into the mindset of a lot of programs that give you the idea YOU MUST GO 6 DAYS A WEEK AND ABSOLUTELY CRUSH IT EVERYTIME. That is impractical and discouraging. Keep it simple.